Why become a member? ×

To Five or not to Five?

molan

I had played 4 string for 8 years and had one brief fling with a 5 but we didnt get on. This year I decided to bite the bullet and give it one more shot before residing myself to playing 4 string.

I bought a Warwick Streamer and instantly loved it. It was all I played for a month and packed my musicman away so I had to get used to it. I very quickly got used to dropping down instead of going up the neck and After 1-2 months I decided 5 was for me and flogged both the warwick and my musicman to get myself a better quality 5 string (with a bigger body as I am big and the warwick looked silly).

I now own two five strings and oddly find it very difficult to play a four as I use the low B so much. A lot of it for me came down to the music i like playing. I play in a hard Rock band and the guitarist tune down a bit so its usefull to be able to go lower in the mix than them. I also really like a lot of new RnB and Pop and am hopefully going to be doing some work on a pop project with a friend so for that I find it really useful.

I found I developed a kind of floating hand technique when playing so I was not anchoring on the low B or even on the pickup. Trying to anchor on the pickup on a 19mm spaced 5 and play the G is not good for you. To me it just gives me more range its the same instrument and even if you only use the B in 2 songs its worth having it there. As someone said, at the end of the day its still a four string.

I say throw yourself in and just force yourself to use it. If after a month of constant use and practice you pick up a four string and love it more your descision is made.

I have never played a 4 string in anger... I have tried them at Jam nights and such and always trip up and end up playing the A string as E if I relax and stop concentrating

My first bass is the bass I have now, a 5 string Warwick Corvette

"no 5 no jive"

Just to add to this... I notice that when I learn basslines it's natural for me to learn them half way up the fretboard whereas 4 string players nearly always default to the first 5 frets

Edited by Monz

I've never had a 5. I had a few sixers years ago, but never a five. My experience with the 6-strings was that they were useful for some stuff, but not useful often enough to justify the wider neck, heavier bass and looking like a bit of a ponce/anorak. I also found it very liberating every time I picked up a 4-string, instantly more comfortable and easier to just thrash through songs.

Of course times change and these days five string basses are acceptable in most bands, so I'm thinking of getting a couple of fives myself. I'm sure I would prefer them over sixes.

[quote name='Josh' post='354644' date='Dec 14 2008, 10:39 PM']I noticed that you do tend to keep your right hand anchored when you play, which is perfectly fine but I'd hazzard a guess and say thats probally what is causing both your hands to get confused and thus trip over yourself.[/quote]

Damn, thought you hadn't spotted my locked right hand technique!

In the 1 & only lesson I've ever had the instructor said exactly the same thing - basic advice was to do whatever comes naturally but that really I need to float more as it would really help with muting (which I'm also crap at!).

Let me give it a try & see how I get on :)

After 25+ years of playing I had my first crack at a 5 at the back end of last year - Lakky DJ5. For me I couldn't get on with the flat FB, string spacing (too wide) and 35". Having said that I could see the potential, for a lot of the stuff I play with the band (general R&B and Rock n Roll) being able to keep above 5th fret could be a bonus.

I've now moved onto a G & L L2500 (courtesy of Essential T) and couldn't be happier - I might even start using it on the odd gig against the P/Ray4. I still find the 4's more natural, if I get carried away on the 5 sometimes I get confused and trip over meself mid song, but with perseverence I can see the point of the 5 and strangely enough it makes me a bit more inventive.

[quote name='uptonmark' post='355224' date='Dec 15 2008, 05:56 PM'][b]real bassists play four strings...

and do not use plectrums [/b]:brow:[/quote]

Well there you go, and for the last 30 years I thought I was one - a bass player that is!! :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='355358' date='Dec 15 2008, 08:57 PM']I've now moved onto a G & L L2500 (courtesy of Essential T) and couldn't be happier - I might even start using it on the odd gig against the P/Ray4.[/quote] A great and vastly underrated bass the L2500. I quite fancy a 3+2 to go with my 4+1 - well we can all dream can't we.

My first bass was 4er, of course, but then, when choosing better instrument, my tutor advised going on 5er, and, also, Steve Bailey's "5-string school" desperately 'asked' to be 'started'..

Though, at first, I didn't incorporate low B into playing, but, that's because of not enough dedication then, I think.

But, now, I dunno what'd I do without at least 5er - it feels so natural, and, to add more, my guitarist has 7-string axe, so, minimum 5 strings are required from me.. :)

So, take 5er all the way. It's [i]just[/i] dedication question about applying it. Muting isn't also a problem.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='354658' date='Dec 14 2008, 10:58 PM']... Anyway let's face it, exactly how many extra notes are there on a 5-string? Not many. No offence meant to my ERB brothers. :) ...[/quote]
That's what I thought until I actually had one in my hands and it dawned on me that what you get isn't just 5 paltry extra notes but a whole extra slice of a neck. Now a E root starts on the 5th fret instead of the open and it follows that all the scales down to B occur in the same way with the added bonus of the extra notes on the 5th string - the G string. :huh:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='355476' date='Dec 15 2008, 11:14 PM']That's what I thought until I actually had one in my hands and it dawned on me that what you get isn't just 5 paltry extra notes but a whole extra slice of a neck. Now a E root starts on the 5th fret instead of the open and it follows that all the scales down to B occur in the same way with the added bonus of the extra notes on the 5th string - the G string. :huh:[/quote]
+1

And having read some quite sensible posts, I am pleased to see how others, like me, discovered the benefits. And having only a few "extra notes" really isn't what it's about, for me. It means adding a different feel, or putting in a contrasting octave to a pattern and so on. What I'd hate, is if there was to be a perceived inferiority thing about 4-strings. That would be nonsense. Like having low profile tyres and a spoiler makes you a superior car driver :) . I really think that an instrument should be used to suit the band you are in, regardless of format. In my case, I have one 4-string fretless, and one roundwound 5-string for rock/funk (+ a back-up) and another 5-string with flats for a quiet band. It just helps to have different tools in the toolbox. And, I can't wait for an excuse-cum-funds to get a nice sixer again.

But back to Molan's OP. I hope you find what works for you in the band context you are in, and find the tool that fits the groove.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='355476' date='Dec 15 2008, 11:14 PM']That's what I thought until I actually had one in my hands and it dawned on me that what you get isn't just 5 paltry extra notes but a whole extra slice of a neck. Now a E root starts on the 5th fret instead of the open and it follows that all the scales down to B occur in the same way with the added bonus of the extra notes on the 5th string - the G string. :huh:[/quote]

Well, point taken but I didn't mean to start a row about it and I didn't call the notes 'paltry'. It was a throw away line really. :huh:

I've got nothing against people using five or any other number of strings but I'm happiest with four. I'll go BEAD if necessary for a song and I can manage well enough without the G string (but then I rarely go up the dusty end anyway).

At a gig last weekend, during the interval, the drummer and I were talking to an old friend of his who he hadn't seen for years. Turned out he used to play bass. Later after the second set the drummer says to me about his old friend 'He was a very good bass player, he could play a five-string properly and all that'. :)

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='355546' date='Dec 16 2008, 12:37 AM']Well, point taken but I didn't mean to start a row about it and I didn't call the notes 'paltry'. It was a throw away line really. :huh:[/quote]
Me neither mate and the "paltry" was 100% me, I wasn't putting words into your mouth, just telling my story.:huh:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='355546' date='Dec 16 2008, 12:37 AM']At a gig last weekend, during the interval, the drummer and I were talking to an old friend of his who he hadn't seen for years. Turned out he used to play bass. Later after the second set the drummer says to me about his old friend 'He was a very good bass player, he could play a five-string properly and all that'. :)[/quote]
Ooh I want to be him. :huh:

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='355510' date='Dec 15 2008, 11:42 PM']+1

And having read some quite sensible posts, I am pleased to see how others, like me, discovered the benefits. And having only a few "extra notes" really isn't what it's about, for me. It means adding a different feel, or [b]putting in a contrasting octave to a pattern[/b] and so on. What I'd hate, is if there was to be a perceived inferiority thing about 4-strings. That would be nonsense. Like having low profile tyres and a spoiler makes you a superior car driver :) . I really think that an instrument should be used to suit the band you are in, regardless of format. In my case, I have one 4-string fretless, and one roundwound 5-string for rock/funk (+ a back-up) and another 5-string with flats for a quiet band. It just helps to have different tools in the toolbox. [b]And, I can't wait for an excuse-cum-funds to get a nice sixer again[/b].

But back to Molan's OP. I hope you find what works for you in the band context you are in, and find the tool that fits the groove.[/quote]

I don't dispute any of this - except my line about 'extra notes' being taken more literally than I intended it should. :huh:

It does seem to me though that if you follow the 'putting a contrasting octave to a pattern' argument you end up with a six-string - as you said. :huh:

I do have an urge for a Bass VI type instrument but only so I can buy some picks, go all twangy, and annoy guitarists. :huh:

I've been switching between 4s and 5s for a while now but for now, I'm settled on 5s (both 35" scale). I actually prefer a slightly heavier bass and my large mitts are much happier on a wider fretboard. I also like the flexibility of anchoring on the B string cos I've always been at odds whether to anchor on the front or the back pup cos my 'sweet spot' always seems to sit somewhere between the two.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='355556' date='Dec 16 2008, 12:52 AM']I do have an urge for a Bass VI type instrument but only so I can buy some picks, go all twangy, and annoy guitarists. :)[/quote]
Best way to annoy a guitarist is to turn up with a tiny Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 in your laptop bag, plug it in to a couple of shrunk-in-the wash 1x12 Bergo's and drown him out using only 20% of the power :huh:

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='355638' date='Dec 16 2008, 09:22 AM']Best way to annoy a guitarist is to turn up with a tiny Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 in your laptop bag, plug it in to a couple of shrunk-in-the wash 1x12 Bergo's and drown him out using only 20% of the power :)[/quote]

My LMII + Schroeder 1210R does the same job. He moans he cant hear himself sometimes.
Money well spent.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='355510' date='Dec 15 2008, 11:42 PM']I really think that an instrument should be used to suit the band you are in, regardless of format. In my case, I have one 4-string fretless, and one roundwound 5-string for rock/funk (+ a back-up) and another 5-string with flats for a quiet band. It just helps to have different tools in the toolbox. And, I can't wait for an excuse-cum-funds to get a nice sixer again.

But back to Molan's OP. I hope you find what works for you in the band context you are in, and find the tool that fits the groove.[/quote]

That's kinda why I was initially interested in going to a 5. The female singer in my soul/funk band would love to drop a few songs a semi tone or tone and on a 4 this would either mean dropping the tuning (not a major issue but I'd have to re-learn a few things) or using a lot of open E & A strings, or climbing up the neck a fair way which is my least favourite option. Theoretically not a problem to use the open strings but in some of the faster disco numbers it's a bit challenging in places.

Having a 5 would solve a lot of this - and maybe make me popular with the singer too :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='355651' date='Dec 16 2008, 09:32 AM']My LMII + Schroeder 1210R does the same job. He moans he cant hear himself sometimes.
Money well spent.[/quote]
:) He he you got me all excited Dave. My last dozen or so gigs have all had the backline provided, so in exchange for an easy life I've not used my LMII + Schroeder 21012R in anger for what seems like forever. However I've got a gig on xmas eve which I've decided to use just my own gear because of the difficult acoustics in the venue. :brow: The only downside is that it's not with my main band but with my originals and neither of the guitarists in that band are all that egotistical and subsequently aren't overly loud.

Oh and just to keep on topic - I'll be taking my custom 4 not my 5 as all the songs but 1 are written in drop C#-G#-C#-F# tuning and I don't fancy transposing that lot.

I have a 5 string and a 4 string. I will ALWAYS pick up the 5 string first and I only really have the 4 string for Drop D (You may call me lazy now). I've just ordered another 5 string and it's gotten to the point where it feels wrong to play a 4. Guitarist in our band has a 7 string guitar and I use the B A LOT. I couldn't go back to a 4 now. I love 5's too much :) Oh.. and I play rock/metal.

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='355686' date='Dec 16 2008, 10:09 AM']I have a 5 string and a 4 string. I will ALWAYS pick up the 5 string first and I only really have the 4 string for Drop D (You may call me lazy now). I've just ordered another 5 string and it's gotten to the point where it feels wrong to play a 4. Guitarist in our band has a 7 string guitar and I use the B A LOT. I couldn't go back to a 4 now. I love 5's too much :) Oh.. and I play rock/metal.[/quote]

7 string guitars, I remember them *shudders*

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='355685' date='Dec 16 2008, 10:08 AM']:) He he you got me all excited Dave. My last dozen or so gigs have all had the backline provided, so in exchange for an easy life I've not used my LMII + Schroeder 21012R in anger for what seems like forever. However I've got a gig on xmas eve which I've decided to use just my own gear because of the difficult acoustics in the venue. :brow: The only downside is that it's not with my main band but with my originals and neither of the guitarists in that band are all that egotistical and subsequently aren't overly loud.

Oh and just to keep on topic - I'll be taking my custom 4 not my 5 as all the songs but 1 are written in drop C#-G#-C#-F# tuning and I don't fancy transposing that lot.[/quote]

My guitarist would have a fit if i turned up with a 21012R. Can i borrow it ;-)

Back on topic, im finding that having a 5 string 9or at least a wider neck) is helping me play a little less as i need to think a bit more about where im fretting. This for me is a good thing as im less likely to go wondering all over the neck like i did when i got my Duck Dunn.
Even though i know where the notes are i find my biggest problem is hitting the right string without looking down. sometimes i end up playing a 5th down by mistake.