Why become a member? ×

To Five or not to Five?

molan

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='355736' date='Dec 16 2008, 10:42 AM']No probs, the 1000 mile round trip would be worth it if only to put him in his place. :)[/quote]

Yeah, cheers. you can stay at mine over night.;-)
Actually ive just got back from Kemnay, i could have popped over for it and took it back on the train.

sorry, that went waaaay off topic.

See you there. Might as well make it a BassDay in Sarah's living room, get everyone round :-)

Back on topic. i just wanted to add that i find my Fender P5 to have a very different feel to my old 55-01. Both are comfortable to play but i think my speed was better on the flatter lakland neck. The P5 feel, to me, to be closer to the MIM 50's classic neck but with an extra string.

Edited by dave_bass5

Worth putting the work in and moving on to a 5. I' can't see the benefit of a high C unless you solo a lot so have stayed away from 6's butI reckon a 5 does the job for anything. "If you could only have one bass" etc etc. The low B is so useful but as pointed out before, not as a thumb rest. I sit on the corner of the bridge pick up so don't need to move off a string to play it.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='355695' date='Dec 16 2008, 10:18 AM']7 string guitars, I remember them *shudders*[/quote]
Don't worry, it's OK to like seven string guitars. Jazzers were using them decades before the poodlehair crowd got their hands on them. :)

I vote go with 5- IMO and IME the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages- you can transpose tunes, you can play with guitarists who tune down without bringing a different bass, and you can do all the stuff you can do on a normal 4! I'm currently wielding a 7 string (bass) as my main which may be overkill but if I was to use anything else it would be a 5. I wouldn't feel prepared with just 4.