Why become a member? ×

Quick update on my new/dodgy amp situation

Beedster

Last night I took a closer look at the Warwick Profet 3.2 head I bought from Allen_Baker on this site two weeks ago (see the feedback forum if needs be), from whom I have received no response post last week's documented communications.

So....

All the display lights are working.
The fan is not working.
There is no sound at all from either speaker O/P.
There is a very distorted, intermitent and low level sound into headphgones form the headphone 0/P.

The sound from the headphones is suspiciously like the sound from my hi-fi after I touched two speaker cables together a few years back, so not promising I guess. I've had a few offers of help on this but if any of you have any advice/suggestions at this stage, it'll no doubt save myself and those people time and possibly money
Many thanks
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='349777' date='Dec 9 2008, 03:11 PM']Last night I took a closer look at the Warwick Profet 3.2 head I bought from Allen_Baker on this site two weeks ago (see the feedback forum if needs be), from whom I have received no response post last week's documented communications.

So....

All the display lights are working.
The fan is not working.
There is a very distorted, intermitent and low level sound into headphgones form the headphone 0/P.

The sound from the headphones is suspiciously like the sound from my hi-fi after I touched two speaker cables together a few years back, so not promising I guess. I've had a few offers of help on this but if any of you have any advice/suggestions at this stage, it'll no doubt save myself and those people time and possibly money
Many thanks
Chris[/quote]

Chris,

The fan would usually be wired seperately to the outputs as the outputs would all have the amplified stages to go through whereas the fan would probably run straight off the DC power supply.

Is it possible that the transformer could be damaged so you are getting less volts? Not enough to power the fan but enough to light the lights?

Just guessing really but found this by searching - it may be some help if its the same model.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/media/manuals/ProFet/ProFetIII_diagram.pdf"]http://www.warwick.de/media/manuals/ProFet...III_diagram.pdf[/url]

Anyone more competent in electrics than me will probably be able to tell you though.

Steve

This is from memory, which is a little hazy, but I believe the fans in the Warwick heads are variable and only come on when the head exceeds a certain temperature (is the amp getting quite hot after a short time?). I'm no electrician, but if there's absolutely no 'warming' of the output transformer after the amp has been on for a good few minutes then there's probably a control circuit which isn't switching on the output. This is usually due to the circuit sensing a faulty component somewhere. Best take the amp to a techie who can probe the thing and identify the faulty component.

Give Steve Rowse a ring [url="http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/"]http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/[/url]. He's in Godalming,s o not too far from you and is a whizz with amps and offers a no fix no fee service. He's also the kind of repairer that will attempt component level repairs before spending your good money on replacement boards.

He sorted my Tech head when it decided to go bang and has sorted numerous cabs and inspected heads for me over the years.

Colin (Hamster) and plenty of other forum members will vouch for his work.

If you're stuck for an amp, I'm not that far from you and you're welcome to pop over and borrow one of my Tech heads for a while. I reckon you might like the sound going by your item wanted thread.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='350257' date='Dec 9 2008, 10:30 PM']Give Steve Rowse a ring [url="http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/"]http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/[/url]. He's in Godalming,s o not too far from you and is a whizz with amps and offers a no fix no fee service. He's also the kind of repairer that will attempt component level repairs before spending your good money on replacement boards.

He sorted my Tech head when it decided to go bang and has sorted numerous cabs and inspected heads for me over the years.

Colin (Hamster) and plenty of other forum members will vouch for his work.

If you're stuck for an amp, I'm not that far from you and you're welcome to pop over and borrow one of my Tech heads for a while. I reckon you might like the sound going by your item wanted thread.[/quote]

I was going to suggest Steve, but I suspect he might be his amp tech already :)

P.S. - Thread hijack - as we 3 live within a vintage bass throw from each other, I'm off to the Farnham maltings on 11 Dec to see Aynsley Lister's new bass player - Midus Guerreiro. Anyone fancy a pint and some raw R&B?

Guys, thanks so much for the above (I must admit I completely forgot I'd posted it). I think I'll give Steve Rowse a go, thanks. I've tried all options on the amp to no avail, certainly the line in approach didn't work as there isn't one (although that didn't stop me spending 20 minutes looking for it!). I also tried the website but clearly need to be a little more competent an electrician to even think about looking at things myself.

Colin, thanks for the invite, but I see through your cunning plan and know that I'll only walk away at the end of the evening with two new vintage Fenders, a new head and no money until 2011!

Having said that, I'll see what I can do! :)

Cheers all, I'll phone Steve and keep you posted.

AND THIS BIT'S REALLY IMPORTANT.....

In a couple of posts elsewhere I gave the impression I wasn't overly impressed that we all jumped in to help the (rather ungrateful) bloke from the Phillipinnes who has never posted here before sort something out with a bloke who hasn't posted for age whilst not being overly worried about some of the dodgy deals that go on between BCers currently (I guess inferring the one relating to the amp above). Subsequently I've had a couple of PM's from BCers offering donations, which I have to say has completely blown me away. Please trust me, I didn't post with that in mind nor would I accept anything, but the sentiment was hugely appreciated. I won't embarrass them by naming names, but you know who you are and many thanks

Chris

Chris

Chris,

Good luck sorting this. If you need a spare amp while Steve looks at yours I'm not too far away either (oh, and I'll give a thumbs up to his service too :huh: )

If I lived near Allen_Baker I'd be happy to have words, but alas I'm at the other end of the country :)

Mert

[quote name='Merton' post='350428' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:52 AM']Chris,

Good luck sorting this. If you need a spare amp while Steve looks at yours I'm not too far away either (oh, and I'll give a thumbs up to his service too :huh: )

If I lived near Allen_Baker I'd be happy to have words, but alas I'm at the other end of the country :)

Mert[/quote]

Me too mate if you need to borrow my Ampeg while I'm away over Xmas let me know.

Chaps, you're all stars! Luckily I have my Markbass (as backup for which I bought the Warwick having read a thread on here about Markbass amps suddenly dying for no apparent reason), and having just left the band for their waywardness (or should I say their inclination to get a little bit too jazzy with blues numbers and to frown generally upon soul), will probably not be needing any amplification beyond my practice amp for a while anyway!

Re the road trip idea, I'm tempted to be honest, but I'm just gonna get it fixed (if possible) and forget about it. Of course, if it turns out that it is actually blown or similarly damaged in a fashion that Allen_Baker would [u]certainly[/u] have known about, it'll be a different story :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='350453' date='Dec 10 2008, 10:22 AM']If one of our products is damaged in transit, we are obliged to replace it. For this reason, we have insurance through parcel force and the like. If this guy didn't insure it, it's his own problem. Surely he is legally obliged to take it back and refund?[/quote]

He should be, but as it's just a guy as opposed to a company I think it would be quite difficult to enforce without getting other people (ie small claims court invlolved) which is a lot of hassle - TBH though the guy should just do the decent thing and sort it out, but I guess he's just one of the many people out there that are utter, utter c**ts

[quote name='lateralus462' post='350682' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:39 PM']He should be, but as it's just a guy as opposed to a company I think it would be quite difficult to enforce without getting other people (ie small claims court invlolved) which is a lot of hassle - TBH though the guy should just do the decent thing and sort it out, but I guess he's just one of the many people out there that are utter, utter c**ts[/quote]

Yep, but if he shipped it insured, we could all hasle him until he refunds and claims. A few phone calls and disturbing peices of rotten meat through the post would do the trick.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='350694' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:44 PM']Having just posted a bass (insured I hasten to add) I notice in the T&C, they say "It must be able to withstand the impact of being dropped 1 metre". I have surrounded with helium balloons......[/quote]

Bit worried about those lightbulbs and fine china I sent yesterday now.

[quote name='Beedster' post='349777' date='Dec 9 2008, 03:11 PM']All the display lights are working.
The fan is not working.
There is a very distorted, intermitent and low level sound into headphgones form the headphone 0/P.[/quote]
If it has an effects send/return, try running the effects send to another amp and see if anything comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided I'm not going to throw good money after bad on this so anyone who thinks they might be able to fix it and who's prepared to come by Beedster Towers (Junction 10 M25) to collect it is more than welcome to take it away. Might be a really simple fix or might be a no goer, but there it is.......
Chris