Why become a member? ×

Rhythm Stick .. My band don't "get" it

OldGit

Here's what one said after I sent them the youtube of MarloweDK playing it

"Weird, that's not how I "heard" it, just goes to show.
[b]In fact while it's a nice bumbling along bassline, it doesn't really drive the track[/b],
... sounds to me like it's keys and guitar that drive it along."

I guess they are not bassplayers :)
I just just hope it goes down really well on stage :huh:

I don't think our guitarist thinks that any bass line has ever driven any track along, ever.

In fact, I'm not even sure he knows what a "driving bass line" is.

I tried to raise this issue with him once or twice about a few other songs, but he just didn't get it... must be something only bass players understand!

Hard to believe anyone could be anything but impressed by this bassline (even a non-bass player) Saw Norman Watt Roy playing it last year, really close up (when he was touring with Wilko / The Hamsters / John Otway). Otway introduced it as a bassline no one else could play but the guy on YouTube does a bloody good job. If you're going to play it live - good luck.

I think I'm right in saying that it was the bassline that was the prime mover for the track being born in the first place. I can also say that the bassline is not original and is from a song of around 15-20 years earlier...blowed if I know which one though!
S' OK: hose me down in napalm if I'm in error. :)

I do this in one of my bands and it always goes down really well (1 or 2 people have even commented (positively) on my bass! :) )
It took me ages to get the feel OK without it sounding rushed, but I can't play it as well as this guy!
It's also important to make sure it's not counted in too fast, otherwise I'm screwed.
Great tune. Norman is The Man.

Edited by Toadonroll

[quote name='zigmondo' post='348926' date='Dec 8 2008, 06:56 PM']I can also say that the bassline is not original and is from a song of around 15-20 years earlier...blowed if I know which one though!
S' OK: hose me down in napalm if I'm in error. :huh:[/quote]

Also in the main riff, when it goes to the Db bit...
Its a Jaco quote...
And again...Blowed if i know which one though... :)

Garry

[quote name='jakesbass' post='348935' date='Dec 8 2008, 07:06 PM']Who is the guy in the clip?[/quote]

MarloweDK, a danish guy who is quite a prolific poster on your tube and a great bassist. No fuss, no politics and no endless harping on about gear, just great playing.

[quote name='lowdown' post='349032' date='Dec 8 2008, 08:47 PM']I was thinking of the chorus on 'Come on over' [Jaco solo album, the track with Sam & Dave on Vox]

Garry[/quote]

Yeah, i noticed that too, one of his fills is exactly like it.

The thing is, there will always be similarities in music, whether you mean it or not - take the Satch and Coldplay debacle.
Also it'd be quite easy to slip in a fill from a similar bassline you're more used to playing, either intentionally or by habit. - that's why all my playing sounds the same!
:)

It's a VERY long time since I heard [i]Rhythm Stick[/i] for the first time, and I wasn't a bass player in those days.

I had that bass line in my head as catchy, tricky, repetitive and fast. Seeing what it looks like when played properly, it's a much cleverer and more varied bass line than I realised and far more subtle too.

Damn.

I may have to devote a ridiculous amount of time to learning to play that not very well.

Ah well, plenty of time off over Xmas.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='YouMa' post='349295' date='Dec 9 2008, 01:56 AM']One of the most difficult bass lines i have ever flirted with,i am trying to slap teen town at the moment its working out easier.Watt roy had great feel.[/quote]

Too right! it's solid, as is Teen town, that's got to be a mean task, slapping Teen Town!