Why become a member? ×

Roundwounds for wusses

JapanAxe

I've been using flats on my Precisions for the last 4 years or so - D'Addario Chromes, which are pretty bright as flats go, but still not the same as rounds.

I recently acquired a Dingwall Super PZ5, which came with NYXLs fitted. I like the way they sound, but I find the feel a bit uncomfortable. I've fitted a set of EB Cobalt flats, which are bright enough to pop (unlike Chromes) but feel a bit draggy on the plucking hand.

For those who have tried several brands of rounds, which feel the most comfortable under the fingertips of the fretting hand?

I like Elixir's as the coating gives them a slippery feel - I've got  NYXL's on another bass - they sound great but the Elixir's are better . The DR DT drop tuning strings are also really comfortable

I've also just tried a set of D'addario half rounds which I really like and they might be the compromise you are looking for.( They do seem to get extremely mixed reviews though).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edstraker123 said:

I like Elixir's as the coating gives them a slippery feel - I've got  NYXL's on another bass - they sound great but the Elixir's are better . The DR DT drop tuning strings are also really comfortable

I've also just tried a set of D'addario half rounds which I really like and they might be the compromise you are looking for.( They do seem to get extremely mixed reviews though).

Thanks, I did try some D'Addario half rounds on a previous 5-er, but they didn't really do it for me. I'm going to persevere with the Cobalts for now - not least because I sank £48 into them! - and then maybe try rounds again based on people's comments here.

Did the Elixirs give you any hum problems - i.e. do you become electrically insulated from the metal of the strings?

36 minutes ago, Opticaleye said:

They're roundwounds rolled to create a smoother feel but to still retain a little brightness. On the right bass they can thump a little too. To me they sound best when they are a little worn in.

They sound like the GHS Nickel Rockers that I use on my skinny-string guitars.

32 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

La Bella RX Nickel series

Their website says 'unique round wound construction that ensures the best playability of any round wound electric bass set on the market', but they don't go into why.

Well, that's like the vague BS they all have.  But I love em on my sixer.  It used to love Overwater strings until they stopped being available. I asked Bass Direct what approximated to an Overwater string and they said the RX, what I'd wot not until then. 

Edited by lownote12

I too used Chromes for a number of years until I got my Sterling and they sounded pants compared to every other bass they've been on.

I had a good look round but went with D'addario EXL165 nickel plated rounds with the consensus being they were one of, if not the smoothest, roundwound string you can buy.

Handy really as I really like the tension and feel of D'addario strings

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I too used Chromes for a number of years until I got my Sterling and they sounded pants compared to every other bass they've been on.

I had a good look round but went with D'addario EXL165 nickel plated rounds with the consensus being they were one of, if not the smoothest, roundwound string you can buy.

Another contender then.

I shall be attending the SW Bass Bash soon, so I propose to ask every other person there what strings are on their bass, and can I have a go on it please.

20 hours ago, knicknack said:

Have been trying pressurewounds too lately, very comfortable indeed. Chromes are my go-to. If you're looking at pure rounds I think you'll generally find Nickel less abrasive than stainless steel, especially when new!

Another vote for pressurewounds then.

On 25/02/2019 at 17:55, Delberthot said:

This is a coincidence. I’ve been enquiring on “the other forum” about which strings come stock on the Yamaha BB735A. They’re some of the nicest strings I’ve played and it turns out they’re D’addario EXL170. They feel really really nice under the fingers. I believe the only difference between the 165 and 170 is that the A string is a slightly different gauge .85 on the 165 set and .80 on the 170 set.

Lovely strings!

I've just put this together whilst doing some string changing... may be of some use! Chromes, Curt Mangan Rounds, D'addario tapes and GHS Pressurewounds.

This is the first time I've used Pressurewounds on a normal scale bass and I'm really enjoying it so far!

Edited by knicknack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I can never understand why people want to fit tonekillers AKA flatswounds

🙂

I'm probably listening for different things in my 'tone' compared to what you are in yours. To me, they sound lovely for country, jazz, blues, rock, and soul. I only find them at all lacking for percussive funk.

Also they feel nice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

I'm probably listening for different things in my 'tone' compared to what you are in yours. To me, they sound lovely for country, jazz, blues, rock, and soul. I only find them at all lacking for percussive funk.

Also they feel nice.

Missed smiley alert 😁

3 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Ah but was it a serious smiley or an ironic one? Fair enough, but just in case there are people that really think that (as I used to)...

Well they certainly sound different but I confess I haven't used them since Methusala was a teenager...

Gigged again last night with the Cobalts. I think I've 'got' them now. I turned up the amp a bit so I wasn't exerting too much effort with the plucking fingers, and didn't experience any dragginess; in fact I felt like the Dingwall was making me play better. The only song where I didn't feel so liberated was The Beat's version of Tears of a Clown, which is a finger-fuddler for me at the best of times!

I also A-B'd the Dingwall against my Precisions through my gigging rig at home this morning, and I love the brightness and clarity of the Cobalts. Thanks for all your suggestions - I'll stick with these for now, and maybe try some GHS Pressurewounds at some point.

• 2 years later...

Old thread bump.

I'm in a very similar position to the OP at the start of this thread.  My bass has Chromes on it & I love the feel of them.

Just got a Sterling Sub Ray5 HH a couple of weeks ago & I'm going to be restringing it (the strings on it are cheapo quality, which I expected on a fairly cheap bass).  I had thought about getting Chromes for it, but I'm liking a bit extra zing, so seriously considering going for a smooth roundwound.

@JapanAxe, are the Cobalts the rounds or the flats & how are you getting on with them now?  Did you try pressure wounds as a comparison?