Why become a member? ×

Cables

deej

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='369802' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:42 AM']Not come across those before. Google wasn't massively helpful at establishing a point of sale for 1/4 jack connectors, where do you normally get them?[/quote]

I tend to use Neutrik (because they are a well known brand) and get them from the Neutrik dealer from whom I used to buy miles of cable and thousands of connectors for building TV and radio studios and outside broadcast units.

Amphenol have been supplying connectors to equipment manufacturers for donkey's years. They make a very compact and reasonable priced right-angle jack which I have been considering supplying. I bought some right-angle stereo plugs to evaluate and they seem very robust. You can get them from [url="http://uk.farnell.com/amphenol/acpm-rb/plug-6-35mm-jack-90deg-2pole/dp/1349048"]Farnell[/url].

Switchcraft are very good but more expensive than Neutrik.

[quote name='obbm' post='369817' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:55 AM']I tend to use Neutrik (because they are a well known brand) and get them from the Neutrik dealer from whom I used to buy miles of cable and thousands of connectors for building TV and radio studios and outside broadcast units.

Amphenol have been supplying connectors to equipment manufacturers for donkey's years. They make a very compact and reasonable priced right-angle jack which I have been considering supplying. I bought some right-angle stereo plugs to evaluate and they seem very robust. You can get them from [url="http://uk.farnell.com/amphenol/acpm-rb/plug-6-35mm-jack-90deg-2pole/dp/1349048"]Farnell[/url].

Switchcraft are very good but more expensive than Neutrik.[/quote]

Prior to getting cables supplied from your good self :huh: I used to make my cables up using either Switchcraft (which I always use to replace the chocolate jack sockets supplied in Warwick basses :huh: ) or Neutrik jacks as they were robust enough to stand up to years of gigging rigours which many inferior plugs couldn't; in fact I have some plugs that are on their 3rd piece of cable! I have more cable failure than plug failure issues but I know that you use quality cable as well which can to be the downfall of the home lead maker. :)

Quick update on the Warwick angled jacks.

Got them a few days ago and just fired them up now. I'd be lying if i said they were a revelation compared to my old ones but they sound very clear and seem very robust. The cable is a lot thicker than on cheap moulded leads and the jacks are bulky metal jobbies with a plastic section.

The seller also sent me a quid back in the post so they were under £3 each delivered!

[quote name='obbm' post='369795' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:31 AM']Also Amphenol are very good.[/quote]

+1 for Amphenol..... I have some XLR-XLR cables with their connectors on and they have lasted 15years so far....I tested all my cables last week and no problems with them at all.... bit expensive though..

[quote name='steve-soar' post='365729' date='Dec 29 2008, 08:16 PM']Same here, get a load of angled jacks, some decent cable and have a night in of joyous fun. :)[/quote]

I'm too dangerous with a soldering iron to do that.

I bought a soldering iron last year to repair a faulty jacket socket in a preamp, I ended up taking it to a guy in Nottingham to have repaired properly, he couldn't stop laughing at what I'd done.

I'd also burned my finger, and burned the top of the kitchen work surface.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='369937' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:05 PM']I'm too dangerous with a soldering iron to do that.

I bought a soldering iron last year to repair a faulty jacket socket in a preamp, I ended up taking it to a guy in Nottingham to have repaired properly, he couldn't stop laughing at what I'd done.

I'd also burned my finger, and burned the top of the kitchen work surface.[/quote]
Sounds like me on a good day :)

I recently got some, well two, Planet Waves Pro cables ( £18 for 10ft so not dead cheap ) and they keep falling out of my basses. I've used loads of different leads over the past 30 years and never had this problem before. It happens on all three of my basses, and only with these leads, no others. I contacted Planet Waves who have suggested I return them for "evaluation and possible replacement".

Stewart

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='369986' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:10 PM']I recently got some, well two, Planet Waves Pro cables ( £18 for 10ft so not dead cheap ) and they keep falling out of my basses. I've used loads of different leads over the past 30 years and never had this problem before. It happens on all three of my basses, and only with these leads, no others. I contacted Planet Waves who have suggested I return them for "evaluation and possible replacement".

Stewart[/quote]

That's weird, i use planet waves cables too and found them the snuggest fit in all of my basses!

Got mine ages ago though so they might be different now

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='369986' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:10 PM']I recently got some, well two, Planet Waves Pro cables ( £18 for 10ft so not dead cheap ) and they keep falling out of my basses. I've used loads of different leads over the past 30 years and never had this problem before. It happens on all three of my basses, and only with these leads, no others. I contacted Planet Waves who have suggested I return them for "evaluation and possible replacement".

Stewart[/quote]

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='369990' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:15 PM']That's weird, i use planet waves cables too and found them the snuggest fit in all of my basses!

Got mine ages ago though so they might be different now[/quote]

Their banana plug style jack can be hitty/missy with some sockets; overly tight to the point where they won't go into one of my basses and another fits BUT the spring loading action on the jack forces the jack back out after a while. I don't use em any more.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='370017' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:53 PM']Their banana plug style jack can be hitty/missy with some sockets; overly tight to the point where they won't go into one of my basses and another fits BUT the spring loading action on the jack forces the jack back out after a while. I don't use em any more.[/quote]

Exactly what happen to me with the last Planet Wave cable I bought. On my Jazz bazz doesn't go all the way in and on my Sansamp fits but comes out after a while and the first time was when playing a gig :)

Since them I'm using [b]obbm[/b] cables and they are great quality leads, last a lot... Just ordered another one today :huh:

My mate got me a free cable at a trade fair. It was being sold as some sort of "endorsed" super cable apparently RRP was about £30.

It uses Klotz cable (good pro audio cable manuf) and a one of those clever leaf switch style plugs that shots tip to sleeve to stop your amp popping and buzzing if you unplug it. Don't use on the output stage!!!

It's a great gimmick, and for that reason I love it, but I probably wouldn't have forked out that much out of my own pocket for it.

Once a tight b*****d, always a tight b*****d!

For years, I used to use microphone cable and Neutrik jacks that I could get for nothing at work. Admittedly, the wrong type of cable, but only really noticeable on passive instruments in really noisy environments.

• 1 month later...

+1 for Neutrik - always use them for Jacks and XLRs. IMHO best for stage use where they'll get plugged and unplugged repeatedly. Very consistent mating and demating. I recently bought a couple of Silent R/A 1/4" jack plugs for my bass lead - works pretty well.

I nearly always make my own patch, microphone and instrument cables - [url="http://www.canford.co.uk"]Canford[/url] are a good source of Neutrik hardware and cables (pre-made or cut length).

HTH. Best of luck, Ian