Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Bass X-Tenders - Talk To Me

WHUFC BASS

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

Just remember to flick the thing back up into tune for the next song, tho...I still forget... 😕🙂

Or indeed to remember that plonking your bass on your Hercules top-hanging stand during the long Moby Richard drum solo will flick the lever back up. It doesn't sound so good in E when you come back in and the guitarist is still drop tuned to D. I have several t-shirts for that one :D

Edit: Gotta love the profanity filter!

Edited by Norris

I have them both on my Jazz and fretless Pbasses. For playnig in the key D or Db they are really cool options. They are not really all that heavey either. Turns the first two strings into 5ths tuning when dropped (if you are dropping to D). They are expensive for what you get, but, I know of no other quick detuner that does the exact same thing unless it is one that detunes at the bridge (like a Stienberger). Another possibility is to get a .55-.110 set of stroings and detune the entire theinb to D or Db tuning. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2019 at 10:50, rOB said:

I'm another one in the positive camp and have had one on my main gigging bass for many years. Being able to return to drop D quickly has been invaluable in the rock bands I've played with. 

Me too.  Doubly useful when guitars are still in std tuning but the bass part works well in Drop D (e.g. the much reviled - on here - Summer of '69).

On 30/12/2018 at 17:13, danny-79 said:

Drop it down by ear it’s much easier. I had a Hipshot D tuner and couldn’t get on with it. Lots of fiddling about setting it then I found that after a few back an forths I was needing to adjust it all again. Plus it’s extra weight on the headstock. 

Definatly not  a fan 

They do need to be set up nicely and kept greased, then they're accurate and work very well. If not, you can experience issues like that, as I found when using my first one. All it needed was some lubrication.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2018 at 09:23, Muzz said:

Yep, I have one on all four of my main gigging basses. Essential kit.

Just remember to flick the thing back up into tune for the next song, tho...I still forget... 😕🙂

Glad I'm not the only one...

It's especially bad if the next song starts with bass and drums alone :D

On 01/01/2019 at 03:21, therealting said:

In case you need ideas on what to do with one... or four. Plus bridge ones.

WOW, not seen anything like that before, amazing 😲 thanks for putting it up.

+1 for The Hipshot from me, great bit of kit on two of my basses 👍

11 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one today, in anticipation of a 4 string Spector Euro4 LX which I'd won on eBay, only for the seller to message me saying he'd just dropped and cracked the neck joint and refunded my money. Grrrr!!!! I'm Gutted.

I bet it’s up for sale against next week at a higher price. With no sign of damage. 

• Like 2

On 02/01/2019 at 12:31, ead said:

Me too.  Doubly useful when guitars are still in std tuning but the bass part works well in Drop D (e.g. the much reviled - on here - Summer of '69).

I have an Extender on two of my basses, but never use it on Summer of '69! Works great for Something Got Me Started though.