Why become a member? ×

How much is this worth?

Newfoundfreedom

A little New year's quiz for all you clever bass chatters.

I spotted this on an online sale site out here in Bulgaria (think Gumtreeski)

It's simply listed as "Wonderful custom made tool. New strings, suitcase and belt." Or case and strap, allowing for dodgy translation. 

It looks reasonably decent to me, but then I'm far from an expert. So I thought I'd leave it to the far more experienced people on here to dissect it. So far I've got as far as PJ configuration, through neck, most likely active pickups. So, what else, and more importantly what do you think it's worth? I obviously know the asking price. So the nearest to the price wins my undying respect (which has about the same street value as a Mars Bar). 

I'll reveal the asking price and the closest guess whilst drinking my first tipple of the evening on New Year's Eve. 

Have at it. 

IMG_20181229_122023.png

IMG_20181229_121959.png

IMG_20181229_122045.png

IMG_20181229_122125.png

IMG_20181229_122148.png

IMG_20181229_122307.png

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

Additional context would be useful, like the average wage in Bulgaria. Bridge looks like a Schaller 3D, no expense spent on the knobs though.

As house prices in Bulgaria are about 1-2% of house prices here (4 bed detached houses starting at £3k), I'd guess that bass prices would be a bit lower too. So I'll go for £45/95 leva.

58 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Additional context would be useful, like the average wage in Bulgaria. Bridge looks like a Schaller 3D, no expense spent on the knobs though.

As house prices in Bulgaria are about 1-2% of house prices here (4 bed detached houses starting at £3k), I'd guess that bass prices would be a bit lower too. So I'll go for £45/95 leva.

Unfortunately not. Because it's a small population and very much a make do and mend society, there is really not much of a second hand market. So things like musical equipment and even cars are generally more expensive than in the UK, even though the average wage is about 5 times less. 

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

It looks decent at first but then when you look closer you can see the routing around the pickups and the A string touching the E string tuning peg! 

£125?

Well spotted. Now I look more closely, if you zoom in you can also see the glue where the woods are glued together on the body. 

It also looks like there's been a wooden dowel inserted to fill a hole right by the bridge. Very sloppy. It's surprising what you can miss at first glance. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

OK here we go. Drumroll please.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ok that's enough! Bloody drummers! 

The asking price is 550 leva. Which is around 250 of the Great British Queens Pounds. 

The closest was @Rich

Your prize is the knowledge that you're not living in the second hand instrument graveyard that is Bulgaria. 

I don't miss many things about the UK, but I do tend to watch the sale adds on here, and eBay with envious eyes. The price of second hand gear over there is far lower and a vastly better choice and quality. 

Right. I'm off for a vodka or six.

A very happy new year to you all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

OK here we go. Drumroll please.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ok that's enough! Bloody drummers! 

The asking price is 550 leva. Which is around 250 of the Great British Queens Pounds. 

The closest was @Rich

Your prize is the knowledge that you're not living in the second hand instrument graveyard that is Bulgaria. 

I don't miss many things about the UK, but I do tend to watch the sale adds on here, and eBay with envious eyes. The price of second hand gear over there is far lower and a vastly better choice and quality. 

Right. I'm off for a vodka or six.

A very happy new year to you all. 

...... and to you too, have a good one.

• Thanks 1