Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Tony Franklin Fretless vs Fender Precision Fretless

Linus27

Looking to buy a Fender Precision Fretless and my options are limited and kind of down to three choices. A vintage Fender from the 70's, a Crafted in Japan Fender or a secondhand Fender Tony Franklin model. I know I could look at other manufacturers but all my other bases are Fender's and I just love them.

I think the vintage will be too expensive unless I look at a late 70's model. The Crafted in Japan would be lovely, won't cost much but is hard to find so I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Tony Franklin fretless precision? I've played one for about 5 minutes and it seemed nice and I really like the option of the bridge pickup but not sure if the extra cost is worth it over say just a standard fretless Precision.

Anyone got any thoughts or experience of these basses.

With that choice and all emotions re vintage instruments to one side, I'd go for the TF every time. The J-PUP brings a hell of a lot to a fretless Precision, and the J/P pair on the TF work really well. It's also very good quality for a non-Custom Shop model. Having said this, I know of a nice 70's FL for sale and can put you in contact with the seller if that helps? 

• Like 1

The TF is one of very few basses that I have always regretted selling on. It was top quality.

The lack of pickup blend is a shame but not a deal-breaker and the J pup is useful and essential if you want that Jaco tone.

However, I rarely used the J pup and, because of that, I might choose a nice custom colour MIJ - if I had that actual choice.

Let me join the chorus of replies telling you that the Tony Franklin fretless is an absolute masterpiece. I was also surprised not to have a blend control or separate volumes, but the tones are wonderful in all three selector positions. The Jazz bridge pickup might also be the nicest example of its kind that I've played.

Also worth noting that if you switch to the P pickup and open up the tone control, you can get some bright, clanking tones that almost make it sound like a fretted bass in the Entwistle/Foxton school of playing, which is ideal for confusing the hell out of your bandmates.

2 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Also worth noting that if you switch to the P pickup and open up the tone control, you can get some bright, clanking tones that almost make it sound like a fretted bass in the Entwistle/Foxton school of playing, which is ideal for confusing the hell out of your bandmates.

Which assumes that your bandmates have the slightest idea of what a fretless bass normally sounds like :)

• Haha 3

So, I've had another idea. I already own a Fender Precision FSR 70's bass in natural. It's a lovely bass and comes with American Vintage 59 pickups so sounds great as well. It's only really my back up so what about getting a maple fretless neck for it? It would then look like the picture and just like what Sting used to use. Plus, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new bass.

I know Shuker can make me a neck but any other suggestions? I also looked at Warmoth and see they can make me a neck but I have no experience of this company so no idea if they are good or not.

What do you think guys?

$_86.JPG

Edited by Linus27

Don't go custom order Warmoth, good necks 90% of the time but risky the other 10%, their customer service department are frankly a joke (can be summarised as "Hey, you're not from the USA so we don't give a f**k"). If you can buy one used, a much better bet (I picked one up for around £100 a few months back and it's glorious, one of the best necks I've ever played, would have cost well over £400 had I ordered and imported it direct from Warmoth however). You're also limited in that you can't really use roundwound strings on a maple board, at least not for very long. Add to that the fact that PUPs that sound great on fretted do not always sound equally great on fretless! So, you probably need to think about what sound you want, and also think about resale value if it doesn't work out; a TF will probably be easy to sell, a custom/hybrid less so. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Don't go custom order Warmoth, good necks 90% of the time but risky the other 10%, their customer service department are frankly a joke (can be summarised as "Hey, you're not from the USA so we don't give a f**k"). If you can buy one used, a much better bet (I picked one up for around £100 a few months back and it's glorious, one of the best necks I've ever played, would have cost well over £400 had I ordered and imported it direct from Warmoth however). You're also limited in that you can't really use roundwound strings on a maple board, at least not for very long. Add to that the fact that PUPs that sound great on fretted do not always sound equally great on fretless! So, you probably need to think about what sound you want, and also think about resale value if it doesn't work out; a TF will probably be easy to sell, a custom/hybrid less so. 

Thanks for the advice Beedster. Maybe get Shuker to make me one if I cant find secondhand. He made me my Jazz neck and its superb. The bass is strung with Rotosound flats so that should be ok and as for the tone, just rounded, smooth, full and mellow with a bit of attack. Not after the Jaco sound at all. If it doesn't work out, then I'll just stick the original neck back on and be back to square one 😁

14 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Thanks for the advice Beedster. Maybe get Shuker to make me one if I cant find secondhand. He made me my Jazz neck and its superb. The bass is strung with Rotosound flats so that should be ok and as for the tone, just rounded, smooth, full and mellow with a bit of attack. Not after the Jaco sound at all. If it doesn't work out, then I'll just stick the original neck back on and be back to square one 😁

Now there's a point...if you're looking for a flatwound fretless sound, then a Franklin might be overkill. The original design was for a fretless bass that would cope well with rounds, hence the nice, tough ebony fingerboard! And if you're not after the Jaco sound, how important is the bridge pickup? If you can get a good price on the neck (and I'd recommend perusing the marketplace on here for parts), then modding your Precision might not be a bad idea.

Me again and I had one of those moments where I might of had a good idea. Whilst looking at Fender Precisions, I noticed that Fender are doing a very lovely Special Japanese model called the midnight. It is black, rosewood board, matching black headstock and gold hardware. My initial thought was this bass would look great fretless and then it hit me, buy it and then fit a Status Graphite fretless neck to it and it will look awesome. So this was kind of high on the list of possibilities and then I noticed that Fender make a very lovely American Players Series Precision in Lake Placid Blue with black scratch plate. It comes with a precision pickup and a bridge Jazz pickup and it looks like you can blend the two. Fit a Status Graphic Fretless neck to it and it should look lovely and sound awesome. Plus it will be much cheaper than a new Tony Franklin Precision and have blendable pickups. So these are my two top options right now 😁

I have a TF fretted and it’s great, very well built and stable bass. Gets played almost daily. But saying that I also put together a fretless PJ, I bought a ‘90s USA fretless P a few years ago and didn’t like the rosewood board, so I sold the neck when I found a ‘78 fretless maple neck for it, which made a huge difference. I then eventually got it routed for a J pickup in 70s position and installed a Quarter Pounder PJ pickup set, and that’s when it became the bass I needed it to be. 

So from experience I would say get hold of a legit Fender neck if you can, it made a big difference to me.

7 hours ago, project_c said:

I have a TF fretted and it’s great, very well built and stable bass. Gets played almost daily. But saying that I also put together a fretless PJ, I bought a ‘90s USA fretless P a few years ago and didn’t like the rosewood board, so I sold the neck when I found a ‘78 fretless maple neck for it, which made a huge difference. I then eventually got it routed for a J pickup in 70s position and installed a Quarter Pounder PJ pickup set, and that’s when it became the bass I needed it to be. 

So from experience I would say get hold of a legit Fender neck if you can, it made a big difference to me.

Cheers project_c, I'm really liking the idea of a PJ setup so seriously looking at getting one of the new Fender Performer basses that have the PJ setup. Then probably a Status fretless neck if I can't get a fretless Fender neck. 

On 28 December 2018 at 13:25, EddiePlaysBass said:

As a fretless Tony Franklin owner, all I can say is the bass is amazing. My main axe before this one was an MIA Fender Marcus Miller 5 string jazz. As good as that bass is, the TF is so much better. I feel guilty towards the instrument for being such a hack :)

+1