Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, iamtheelvy said:

So, hear me out...

The HX Stomp is quite tempting, but with a set of go-to pedals already it's difficult to figure out where it would sit with them. Pondering the alternative of two HX Ones at different points in the chain... It's a bit more space taken up, but easy to plan in different effects combos, and easier to power!

Costs work out much the same, so it's more a case of how much space it takes up. No need for amp Sims, so am I missing anything with this?

As soon as you want a third HX effect, you'll have to buy another HX One. There's a send-return loop on the HX Stomp if you want your set of pedals in the middle of the Stomp stuff.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tauzero said:

As soon as you want a third HX effect, you'll have to buy another HX One. There's a send-return loop on the HX Stomp if you want your set of pedals in the middle of the Stomp stuff.

Interesting. Requires some different routing, but could work well.

I had my old stomp set up in line with other pedals as well as some things in the loop. 

Ian Martin Allison has just done Janek’s podcast and they touch upon this briefly about committing to a Stomo and how IMA has his set up. Might be worth a look although it doesn’t go mad in depth into routing. 

Between the stomp and it’s loop and an external looper there are quite a few possibilities depending on your needs. 

• Like 1

On 16/03/2024 at 16:14, tauzero said:

There's a send-return loop on the HX Stomp if you want your set of pedals in the middle of the Stomp stuff.

I didn't see that (hence my comments on lateral thinking) as it's cunningly hidden on the side.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just got my hands on the HX One and gotta say I’m pretty impressed. The Regal is actually quite nice with some drives in the front of it and there are some really cool modulation fx built in.

Still not 100% sure if it’s enough to kick my Boss GT1000core off which has a lot of signal routing options available but it’s definitely made the Stomp a far more compelling alternative. I only ever use the CORE for its noise gate, an occasional modulation/delay so this covers off all of that in a smaller and cheaper package.

Gonna keep digging through the effects 🙌

• Like 2

The tape reel has a nice saturation effect which is worth checking out. I was thinking of getting one for some chorus and maybe replacing a drive or two but should really demo one first even though I’ve had a stomp before. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just discovered the prize drive(Noble overdrive) 

wow! thats the the best drive on the Helix for bass on the Helix, can do subtle boost, tubey overdrive to full on distortion and holds the low end easily. 

why have I missed this up to this point? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I’m having an issue and could use some help. I just got an LT (updated and reset) and downloaded the royal blood preset from the tone store. Last night it worked great, with the stomp mode giving me a pedal for each action of the song, such as ‘bass’ ‘guitar amp 1’, ‘guitar amp 2’, ‘intro, etc. 

Today all but two of those blocks have just gone and are blank. I’ve tried re-downloading it and downloaded it to a different user preset, but the result is the same. How could it have changed overnight? It was fine yesterday. I’m so confused! 

Second question. I also downloaded hysteria. Which is ok, but I could use a better blend of clean and drive, is there a way to do this? I couldn’t find a way. 
thanks In advance for any help!

Edited by gafbass02

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

I’m having an issue and could use some help. I just got an LT (updated and reset) and downloaded the royal blood preset from the tone store. Last night it worked great, with the stomp mode giving me a pedal for each action of the song, such as ‘bass’ ‘guitar amp 1’, ‘guitar amp 2’, ‘intro, etc. 

Today all but two of those blocks have just gone and are blank. I’ve tried re-downloading it and downloaded it to a different user preset, but the result is the same. How could it have changed overnight? It was fine yesterday. I’m so confused! 

Second question. I also downloaded hysteria. Which is ok, but I could use a better blend of clean and drive, is there a way to do this? I couldn’t find a way. 
thanks In advance for any help!

Maybe you've inadvertently changed "mode" without realising. Hit the mode footswitch and see if that brings them back.  The Helix has various modes, stompbox mode and snapshots, or stomp on one row and snapshot on the other etc. Or you can use the command centre you can create your own hybrid per preset.

I hate to be "that guy", but with the Helix, you really should take some time to read the manual cover to cover.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

2 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Maybe you've inadvertently changed "mode" without realising. Hit the mode footswitch and see if that brings them back.  The Helix has various modes, stompbox mode and snapshots, or stomp on one row and snapshot on the other etc. Or you can use the command centre you can create your own hybrid per preset.

I hate to be "that guy", but with the Helix, you really should take some time to read the manual cover to cover.

Cheers, I’ll explore that. Yeah, it’s definitely an ‘rtfm’ job as we used to say in HiFi retail. I’ve done tinkering so far, but am becoming more and more aware that it’s gonna be a fair while before it sees a stage 😆

A rather fun (and informative) video where Ian Martin Allison rises to the challange of recreating 10 iconic rock basstones using just an HX Stomp ...

• Like 1

Hi all,

So I am closer and closer to getting myself an HX Stomp, I just have one question... 

I run into an EBS MicroBass 3... do I put the HX before the MB3 or through the MB3's effects loop - or after for that matter?

I currently run a Zoom MS-60B through the loop and I'm happy with what I am getting from that setup, so my natural thought process would be to do the same with the HX... 

I know there is "no right or wrong way" to do most things... but... well... to the experts, the floor is yours :)

My thanks in advance

Julian aka Glassmoon

24 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Hi all,

So I am closer and closer to getting myself an HX Stomp, I just have one question... 

I run into an EBS MicroBass 3... do I put the HX before the MB3 or through the MB3's effects loop - or after for that matter?

I currently run a Zoom MS-60B through the loop and I'm happy with what I am getting from that setup, so my natural thought process would be to do the same with the HX... 

I know there is "no right or wrong way" to do most things... but... well... to the experts, the floor is yours :)

My thanks in advance

Julian aka Glassmoon

What do you need the MB3 to do that the stomp can't? If you're using it for effects only it probably makes sense in the loop.

1 hour ago, velvetkevorkian said:

What do you need the MB3 to do that the stomp can't? If you're using it for effects only it probably makes sense in the loop.

I use it as my pre-amp, tuner, compressor and DI - the DI alone is worth its weight in gold... 

I am, of course, open to selling it and getting a Radial or something of that level (I can't ever see myself looking at the "here, have my kidney too" range of DIs).

The MB3 is a killer sounding unit... and one I'd be loathe - but not entirely opposed - to selling.

i'm all ears @velvetkevorkian

2 minutes ago, 2pods said:

I think he means why run two pedals, when the Stomp can do all that and more.

Got that - but can it do it "as well" as the MB3?

I compromised my tuner and compressor (BOSS TU-2 and EBS MultiComp) for the MB3 - and happily too... can the (in anyone's opinion) HXS do the "replacing"?

40 minutes ago, MartinB said:

What's special about the DI part of the EBS - is it doing something more than just outputting a balanced signal?

No, it's just super clean.  I've used one live (MB2 and recently the 3) for nearly 20 year and I used it in clubs, churches, theatres and a few times in the studio.

When you take a look at the price of a stand-alone DI ... a quality preamp pedal with a DI is a win.

My 10c I know... 

The Stomp has the Regal Di (Noble) which I gather is most bassists holy grail. You can also run IRs to emulate a DI sound you like. It’s more whether you can / want to put the time into a Stomp to get the sound you want. I can pretty much guarantee it’s in there. Just might not be that easy to get it out!

12 minutes ago, Wombat said:

The Stomp has the Regal Di (Noble) which I gather is most bassists holy grail. You can also run IRs to emulate a DI sound you like. It’s more whether you can / want to put the time into a Stomp to get the sound you want. I can pretty much guarantee it’s in there. Just might not be that easy to get it out!

See, that's of interest to me... 

So, the recommendation would be to use the stomp as a command station?

Signal Path: bass > compression > preamp > effects (or effects into preamp, depending on your preference?)

And then run that out into a DI? 🤔