Why become a member? ×

How do you decide which bass to go for?

Currrls

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='342692' date='Dec 2 2008, 09:55 AM']+1 Chris! The latest Squiers are in some cases better than the Fenders. Have you ever heard anyone going on about a bad vintage modified 70's jazz? Didn't think so! The current classic vibe range are excellent as well, by all accounts!

Rich.[/quote]
+1 i tryed the vibe 60's p bass and was very impressed.

The first bass I ever got my hands on (late '60s) was a Fender Precision (belonged to Pink Fairies bassist). The first bass I ever recorded with (early '70s) was a Fender precision (borrowed from the studio - I owned an Epiphone Rivoli at the time). The first bass I really liked the sound of (mid '70s) was a hybrid Fender precision (Fender neck and hardware, copy body). The first "proper" Fender I owned (mid '70s) was a white Fender Mustang Bass - later passed on by my brother to I know not where. It's taken until this year (40 years after the first occasion) for me to get a "proper" Fender Bass - one of the outgoing Fender Precision S1s. A real sound monster. I've also acquired one of the '75 reissue Jazz basses as well. Both basses under £650, both sound good. I can't be separated from the Jazz. I've owned lots of basses, some really boutique ones, some actually made for me, but good 'ol Leo was a genius for designing instruments that could be made cheaply and sounded great. As pointed out earlier in this thread, Squiers are not to be sniffed at either - it's the same design principle.

You're doing the right thing, reading, researching, trying out, discussing - all good. There are a lot of good bargains on the web at the moment - lots of businesses cutting their prices. Second hand prices low too - so haggle!

My entirely biased view of what you would get on with at the moment - basic good quality build, bolt-on, passive, probably 4 string, nothing too comlex, save enough for a decent quality combo/stack - again lots going cheap both new and second hand. Keep an eye out on pawnbrokers and trade-in shops too. A second hand Fender Jazz (not old enough to be "vintage") with a second hand 300W combo (relatively uncoloured) would be a very good start.

Best of luck with your quest!
Nick S

I had a pretty clear sound in my head that I wanted to achieve - after having a few basses and getting to know the characteristics of different features the type of bass I wanted became clear and luckily everything fell into place. If you buy wisely you won't lose any money on your bass journey through trades and selected bargains. Most of my collection comes from an original outlay of about £750 for a 57RI Pbass and a Pedulla MVP.

Cheers
ped

i landed lucky with all of my buys....first was a sh*t house washburn xs-15 or summert printed my old bands name on it andsmashed it at one of our last gigs. second was a tanglewood warrior 3 ugly as f*** but for £250 with a good sound why not (jus coverd the f***er in stickers) and i got my first proper bass ,warwick double buck, for £650 cause of little mark on the back....soundsand plays f***in awesome and i bsoloutly love it and tbh i would never sell it ;d;d;d

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='342312' date='Dec 1 2008, 07:57 PM']Sod Aesthetics (as long as it doesn't compromise playability) and definitely Sod the name on the headstock![/quote]
I disagree. You wouldn't go around a guitar shop, spot a really ugly bass and think "wow that's ugly, i might try it". If you want a bass to be THE bass, it has to look nice too, after all, image is everything in a lot of bands. You'd never see a guy in a punk band playing an 8 string conklin would you? Though it is all about getting out and trying stuff.

the aesthetics of a bass are pretty much on a par with its playability when im looking to buy. I dont care how good it sounds, i aint playing something that looks like its just come out of a curry eating alcoholic gorilla's arse

as far as tone goes, all in the fingers and what is amplifying it.

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='Currrls' post='343304' date='Dec 2 2008, 05:58 PM']it's as much about it being something expensive and precious for myself as it is about looking good infront of other people.[/quote]

aye but do you only think it is expensive and precious because it makes you look good infront of other people and it cost a lot?
lets face it if you did buy a top of the range maker most your non bassest friends would never have heard of it.
one of the 'coolest' guitarists i ever saw play was the guy from the test icicles (who was on a bill of Test icicles, kooks and Dead 60s with the dead 60s headlining. Random gig to work at) who was going mental on a bright pink squier showmaster.

Just get something that looks good when you wear it, that's the only important criterion. It doesn't matter if it doesn't play well because you're a bass player, you're not going to need to play anything difficult, and it doesn't matter what it sounds like because the sound guy's going to turn your sound into a woolly shapeless rumble anyway.

[quote name='Currrls' post='341473' date='Nov 30 2008, 10:22 PM']So my question is, how do you decide on the purchase thats going to mean so much to you, when you're so scared you could get it totally wrong!!![/quote]
Try it out in a shop. Don't buy one mail order. Buy the one that feels comfortable for you, not just the one that looks nice/has the right name of the headstock. You're more likely to play something that feels nice, rather than a heavy American bass that feels like an effort to play.

Good luck hunting!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='343705' date='Dec 3 2008, 12:06 AM']I disagree. You wouldn't go around a guitar shop, spot a really ugly bass and think "wow that's ugly, i might try it".[/quote]
When I first played a Thumb 21 years ago, to me it looked rather odd - basses tended to be pretty lumpy, taking cues from Fenders (although there weren't many Fender clones around then). I was actually trying out an effects pedal and had had a Streamer given to me to try it with, but it was badly set up, so I took this odd-looking thing off the wall, started playing it, and had to have it, even though it cost double what my entire bass collection was worth. Traded in said bass collection and got a loan for the rest. Never regretted it.

[quote name='Currrls' post='342365' date='Dec 1 2008, 09:01 PM']as much as i try i just can't ignore the name on the headstock lol. lets face it. half of the reason for buying this bass is so that i dont have to wear something that says 'squire' on it around my neck[/quote]
You wouldn't have a Chris Squire signature Rick? I can't think of any other bass with "Squire" on it.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='343705' date='Dec 3 2008, 12:06 AM']I disagree. You wouldn't go around a guitar shop, spot a really ugly bass and think "wow that's ugly, i might try it". If you want a bass to be THE bass, it has to look nice too, after all, image is everything in a lot of bands. You'd never see a guy in a punk band playing an 8 string conklin would you? Though it is all about getting out and trying stuff.[/quote]
Er... I did. See below.
And I generally delight in playing "aesthetically inappropriate basses" whenever possible.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='343724' date='Dec 3 2008, 12:39 AM']the aesthetics of a bass are pretty much on a par with its playability when im looking to buy. I dont care how good it sounds, i aint playing something that looks like its just come out of a curry eating alcoholic gorilla's arse...[/quote]

I do...

This polarizes opinion, but it sounds massive, feels great and plays really well. But it looks.. :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='345595' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:58 PM']This polarizes opinion, but it sounds massive, feels great and plays really well. But it looks.. :)

[/quote]

Yup - that pretty much explains why so few basses are designed by crack addicts ...

:huh: