Why become a member? ×

Today's Jazz Book -- free charts and MP3's as a labor of love

OwnHeart

Everyone -- back in January, 2018 myself and a group of musicians decided it was time to freshen up our repertoires with new jazz.  We listened to about 200 songs and then, through a double blind review process, agreed that 9 of them were of sufficient quality for inclusion in a book called "Today's Jazz Book". It's a free book, and we did it all through a non-profit.  The charts have been transcribed and formatted by a professional arranger, and its' all volunteer.  The tunes had to meet certain criteria -- interesting chord changes, killer melodies, suitable for a typical small jazz combo, one page long, or two pages at the very outside. There are MP3's as well that are free.

If you would like a copy, let me know and I'll private message it to you -- you don't have to give anything up for it -- not your email, you don't have to register anywhere, no account to set up.  Just a bunch of guys trying to create an ever-expanding book of quality jazz tunes. It's a labor of love, not a commercial venture.

Think of the Real Book, but legal to share, print, and perform live without royalties due -- you can even record the tunes without royalties due to their Creative Commons license -- they are quality too, so don't let "free" fool you.  WE even consulted a lawyer to make sure what we were doing is legally sound.

Send me a private message if interested...and I'll shoot a copy over to you.  Tunes are in C and Bb, with Eb and Bb almost out of the oven...

Edited by OwnHeart
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'm guessing that there isn't much TAB in it.

(Runs away from the smoking blue touchpaper)

Sorry, no tab -- it's all standard notation.  But it went through a rigorous process from gigging musicians to make sure it met their needs -- such as big chord fonts, chord symbols that aren't easily confused, a kind of active debate that went on for a long time.  Page number suitable for individual printing...We like the format as it's our own...Requests are still rolling in for the book.   I will be sending it out to everyone in the next couple days.  So, if you are interested in getting your own copy, please private message me...

Edited by OwnHeart
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I will send it out tomorrow  as I have a lot of appointments to get through today -- there were several people who responded via PM so I'll do it all at once.  Thanks for your interest though -- very glad to know you are keen to get a copy!  Look tomorrow  Eastern Standard time..

Thanks!  If anyone else wants a copy, please let me know right away so I can send out a herd of them at once.

Edited by OwnHeart

36 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Is it the same as https://todaysjazz.yolasite.com/ ?  (I just googled "Today's Jazz Book")
It seems to have a download link.
Good job with the book - I just didn't understand why people need to PM you to get the link.

I tried this on another forum and no one even posted or commented about the book. I asked one guy  on that other site and he said he was afraid of downloading something from a site he didn't know.  I post it here and 12 people so far want a copy via.  What a big difference!  

I will send it all out tomorrow.

This also helps me gauge interest and see who is truly into this kind of thing. 

I want to say thanks to everyone so far for your kindness and appreciative comments. It has been a labor of love, emphasis on the word "labor" as much as love, so the kind of encouragement you are all giving is really important to me -- and the army of volunteers I recruited to make it happen so far.

We have more tunes in the works, I got a transcription of one today, and will be adding it as soon as its ready.  Also having a group of musicians over to master the tunes in Today's Jazz Book so they can be part of our regular gigging repertoire.

Also plans for a YouTube Channel with them all...

Thanks!

OwnHeart

Edited by OwnHeart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Having received this by PM this afternoon, may I congratulate OH and his collaborators for having created a splendid little 'Real Book', even as far as adopting some of the typographic aspects. I've not played through all of the pieces, but they are very well laid out, clear to read, even with my duff eyes, and well chosen as fine pieces to listen to and/or play. Warm thanks for making this, and the mp3's, available at such a bargain price. An enthusiastic 'Thumb's up' from me, then. :i-m_so_happy: , followed by a hearty 'Thank you'. :hi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish there was a "Thank You on Steroids" icon along with the like, thanks and other post reactions that could be made to Dad3353's post above.  Means a lot since it took a lot of work to put it together.  Interested in hearing other reactions, good, bad, ugly, or suggested improvements from others who received a copy of the book.  As this is our very first release.  We have  three more songs in various states of production awaiting formatting and integration into the book as well.   Please let me know if others want the book and the free, downloadable Mp3's with no strings attached...

Edited by OwnHeart
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
As you know, myself and a bunch of musicians started a book of modern jazz compositions in multiple styles under the name Today's Jazz Book. Composers are from all over the world.

Here is a new song we juried in recently called Kelli's Number. Download the Mp3 sheet music for free at newjazz.org home page, no account required or anything -- it's a volunteer project to give jazz composers a voice and musicians new material that is suitable for live jazz situations:
https://todaysjazz.yolasite.com/

We have 3 other songs coming soon to keep the book growing. As always, if you have a recording of a jazz song that meets the criteria listed here:

https://todaysjazz.yolasite.com/Submit-Songs.php

Then send me a private message with a recording or lead sheet if you have it. Our selection panel of gigging musicians will consider it for publishing in Today's Jazz Book.

If you know someone who composes jazz, feel free to spread the word as always!
Interested in knowing what you think of the latest song -- do you like it?

Thanks!

Ownheart

Las
Edited by OwnHeart