Why become a member? ×

P bass, and why I love it!!

mic mac moe

Just now, Dood said:

And if you play fretless like I do, then it should be an Offender Imprecision.. 

I feel your pain as I am striving for mediocrity on fretless basses.  Have you been secretly bugging my practice room Dood :$

1 minute ago, ead said:

I feel your pain as I am striving for mediocrity on fretless basses.  Have you been secretly bugging my practice room Dood :$

I have the unfortunate situation of having nowhere to hide when someone sends me a beautiful fretless bass to review. The least I can do is apologise to Youtube before I start playing 😂

Never been a huge fan.  I find the necks on all the Fender Ps I've played functional but uninspiring, which reinforces the fact that I find the design a bit cliche'd - I fully realise that this is hugely unfair because it's an original design and it's other people copying it that has made it so ubiquitous.  One man's cliche'd is another man's classic.

For all that...

P's do have that sound - bit like the design, solid, no nonsense, does a job.  They work especially well in a lot of punk stuff that I listen to, being both "right" and easily identifiable as a P.

So I'm happy to put it down to personal preference without needing to slag off the instruments as somebody else's bad choice. Just not for me.

• Like 2

Nicely put, mate. I always gravitate towards a precision for the no nonsense, solid feel. Never got on with jazz basses-I hate the 60 cycle thing, and the neck that's like a little girls wrist. Stingrays, I've liked but are usually too expensive. That being said, I've got a thumb copy by vester which I class as my "j" option. And I do play that quite often. And on the GAS front (damn that bc marketplace) I'm drooling at a couple of stingrays. And, I plan on buying a fretless in the near future and I think jazz is the way to go 

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

Would you explain that for me please?  I've led a sheltered bass life.

All I can guess is that it has something to do with the AC line voltage in the 'States but I don't know how that would be a problem.

60 cycle hum on a soloed single coil pickup?

16 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Don't want to say it too loudly for fear of upsetting the Precision Gods, but I think Fender missed a trick by not doing a semi-hollow version of the classic 51P Bass....

MIGhAdJ.jpg

That's more like it..! I'd be interested in a bass like that.It's getting closer to the Rob Allen styling, which, from me, is high praise. I'll pass on the wallpaper, though. My Dad would paste up similar patterns in the living room. It's the stuff of nightmares. Pop art..? Not for me, thanks.

Just now, Dad3353 said:

That's more like it..! I'd be interested in a bass like that.It's getting closer to the Rob Allen styling, which, from me, is high praise. I'll pass on the wallpaper, though. My Dad would paste up similar patterns in the living room. It's the stuff of nightmares. Pop art..? Not for me, thanks.

You can blame Mrs B for the wallpaper. For me its very simple

"You can have whatever basses you want dear, as long as I can have whatever wallpaper I want"

"You can stick naked pictures of Rick Astley up if I can have whatever basses I want, love..."

• Haha 2

Just now, Newfoundfreedom said:

Ah.....as in "hum" buckers.

Am I really so stupid that I never got that? 😂

Yep - that's it. People grumbled at Fender for those noisy pickups in the original Tele, Precision etc. and so they made ones that bucked the hum (by the two coils overlapping in frequency and effectively cancelling that bit out...

• Like 1

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

You can blame Mrs B for the wallpaper. For me its very simple

"You can have whatever basses you want dear, as long as I can have whatever wallpaper I want"

"You can stick naked pictures of Rick Astley up if I can have whatever basses I want, love..."

Given the choice, I'd have preferred Mr Astley, I think.

(Although, having looked up who he is, it's a close-run race....) 

• Haha 1