Why become a member? ×

P bass, and why I love it!!

mic mac moe

I spent years playing Jazz basses or Japanese things of one kind of another, and I've always shunned P basses. Then after I saved a lot of money from packing in smoking I went to buy a brand new Mexican Jazz...and left the shop with an American Precision...and have never looked back. 

I love my P Bass and would sleep with it if my wife would let me.

I understand why people love them. My son, when I offered him up to $750 towards any bass in Nashville, went halves on a new MIA Fender P, and I appreciate that it's right for the music he plays. But not for me.

My first bass, a GMR5, has what I now realise is exceptional sustain, so that's how I learned to play and how I naturally develop all my basslines. I can play staccato when it works in the band, or I can let a note ring clearly for a whole bar. But I find even on a really good P that the notes just die too soon. It's frustrating. Imho, ymmv 🙂 

If it's history you want, my 1966 EB2 has decent sustain too 🙂 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, josie said:

I understand why people love them. My son, when I offered him up to $750 towards any bass in Nashville, went halves on a new MIA Fender P, and I appreciate that it's right for the music he plays. But not for me.

My first bass, a GMR5, has what I now realise is exceptional sustain, so that's how I learned to play and how I naturally develop all my basslines. I can play staccato when it works in the band, or I can let a note ring clearly for a whole bar. But I find even on a really good P that the notes just die too soon. It's frustrating. Imho, ymmv 🙂 

If it's history you want, my 1966 EB2 has decent sustain too 🙂 

I'd love to have an EB-2 some day.  

• Like 1

I've had a few P basses over the years and many of my favourite players play them, Rocco, Pino... its a big list. But I have personally always found them a bit uncomfortable to play the neck on a Fender P is just not what I enjoy at all. These days I prefer to use a far more modern bass that will give a wide variety of sounds but will do a good P, J or MM sound if that's what I want or need, but with the ergonomics that I am happy with.

21 minutes ago, Austin7 said:

I'd love to have an EB-2 some day.  

I've burbled on about mine too often on too many threads before... 

But there's nothing quite like the lightness and vibrancy of that semi-hollow body combined with that punch and growl with the bass boost kicked in. Nothing. 

Plus feeling 50 years of music history flowing through your hands. 

Do it. Save up for it. Keep your eyes open and they do turn up now and then. 

EB2.thumb.jpg.d7b27a03d427fb70bcc90cd062c7cac2.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nicko said:

As a latecomer to bass I really didn't want a P bass, but a technical failure on my own bass meant I borrowed one during a rehearsal.  I coudn't wait to get one after that.  In the same way that I don't buy s screwdriver because I like how it looks, I don't really buy guitars for their looks.  Its comfortable to play and sounds great - what more could I want?

I absolutely agree 100% with this statement. But if my Gretsch serves exactly the same purpose for me, then why would I want a P bass? You can have your cake and eat it, so to speak. There are thousands of guitars out there to cater for all levels, tastes and budgets. So there's bound to be something that feels and plays great that you also actually like the look of. The P bass is kind of the Toyota Carola of music. Ok it might be the best selling bass out there, and it might do its job really well for the vast majority of people who own one, but that doesn't make it the best bass any more than the Corolla is the best car. It's all subjective. Some people want a Ferrari, others are happy with a mini. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

8 hours ago, josie said:

I've burbled on about mine too often on too many threads before... 

But there's nothing quite like the lightness and vibrancy of that semi-hollow body combined with that punch and growl with the bass boost kicked in. Nothing. 

Plus feeling 50 years of music history flowing through your hands. 

Do it. Save up for it. Keep your eyes open and they do turn up now and then. 

EB2.thumb.jpg.d7b27a03d427fb70bcc90cd062c7cac2.jpg

Now you see this I agree with. I love my semi hollow. It's only a budget job but to me it sounds, plays, looks and feels great. I'd take it over a P bass any day. 

IMG_20180825_182227_626.jpg

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 2

I gig regularly with my 1999 Hot Rod P-Bass but I've always wanted a semi-hollow f-hole bass. I've been looking for a left handed Gretsch BroadKaster but more chance of finding some rocking horse doo-dah. I'm going to look at a Warwick StarBass local to me this weekend. Chinese, but supposedly very nice. I's black,which would not be my first choice but beggars etc.

9 minutes ago, phil.c60 said:

I gig regularly with my 1999 Hot Rod P-Bass but I've always wanted a semi-hollow f-hole bass. I've been looking for a left handed Gretsch BroadKaster but more chance of finding some rocking horse doo-dah. I'm going to look at a Warwick StarBass local to me this weekend. Chinese, but supposedly very nice. I's black,which would not be my first choice but beggars etc.

There's a very nice epi jack casady on here for sale

• Like 1

I love a P Bass me, obviously, but am going through a Jazz phase at the moment. Luckily I didn't sell my Jazz when last going through a P phase (which is what usually happens) and so I didn't need to buy another Jazz! Is my Jazz buying and selling routine finally over? 9_9

• Haha 1

I tend to get on with the tone of a Jazz more unless I'm playing punky, rocky stuff but I do totally adore my two Precison basses. They really are amazing. I'm actually thinking about getting one of the new Mexican Fender Player Series Precisions in buttercream and getting a fretless maple neck for it. I think that would be epic.

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I'm actually thinking about getting one of the new Mexican Fender Player Series Precisions in buttercream and getting a fretless maple neck for it. I think that would be epic.

IMG_3667.jpg

Lush!

20180725_134435.jpg

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

I'm a P bass sort of guy, but I do occasionally here a Jazz that I think sounds awesome (Spud out of Alcoholic Licks for one), I've even once heard a Ric that sounded good, but then again other peoples playing does tend to sound better than mine :lol:

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I tend to get on with the tone of a Jazz more unless I'm playing punky, rocky stuff but I do totally adore my two Precison basses. They really are amazing. I'm actually thinking about getting one of the new Mexican Fender Player Series Precisions in buttercream and getting a fretless maple neck for it. I think that would be epic.

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

Beautiful p's!! I have a vester clipper thumb copy, and I count that as my "J" option, but the precision is my overall fave

6 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I'm a P bass sort of guy, but I do occasionally here a Jazz that I think sounds awesome (Spud out of Alcoholic Licks for one), I've even once heard a Ric that sounded good, but then again other peoples playing does tend to sound better than mine :lol:

Give over!! 

My first ever bass was a Fender 57 reissue Precision bass, back in the 80s. It was made in Japan. Since then I have owned several P-basses (all Fender or Squier, from USA to Mexican) and they've all delivered. Standouts for me included, a 51 reissue, an all original 1978 and a 70s bitsa. However, they came and went. A couple of years ago I bought a new 57 reissue, also Japanese. It reminds me of my first bass. As others have said I've tried, owned and enjoyed several basses from Gibsons to Rickenbackers to Danelectros and beyond. There is something about the P-bass that means it will always be part of my life, even if I happen to be doing a gig on a Jazz or an upright. Anyhow, here's mine pictured just this afternoon.

IMG_7440.JPG.8ef0bda4cb633dbb2230dc1f4b186189.JPG

• Like 2