Jump to content
The59Sound

Reading 2018

Recommended Posts

Before the inevitable... 

The mix is crap.

Where is the bass?

Who chose the headliners?

Mr. Lamar is not has good as NWA/Public Enemy.

Kings Of Leon - again!

It was better in my day.

Who?

All of these kids are on drugs. 

Far too expensive for me.

 

As you were gentlemen... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time in several years, neither of my kids are going. They have very catholic musical tastes and there are usually some acts that make it worthwhile for them, but they are both hugely disappointed in the line-up. And they're in their mid twenties, so there's no boringoldgit-ness going on there :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call that a line up? THIS was a line up for me!

1973, £4.40 for the weekend.

I remember when it was all fields round 'ere etc....

reading-73-lineup.jpg.f7cbe271cb5bfca104e52efb90385dd6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, casapete said:

Call that a line up? THIS was a line up for me!

1973, £4.40 for the weekend.

I remember when it was all fields round 'ere etc....

reading-73-lineup.jpg.f7cbe271cb5bfca104e52efb90385dd6.jpg

Strider, one of my favourite bands at the time, very underrated.

A very good guitarist in the band called Gary Grainger, went on to play with lots of big names as a session player and tours.

Edited by steantval

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a piece on the NME site the other day, and they were discussing a piece that had been written comparing the 2000 line up to 2018, showing posters of both.

The NME was defending the 2018 festival, whilst the piece it was discussing, was talking about how good 2000 was!

It has come to something when a line up with Shed Seven, etc. (in all fairness some of it was quite good, that's just a bad example) is now, retrospectively, seen as a golden period.

Having seen the 2018 line-up, I'm (sadly) inclined to agree.

I never went, but as a 90's (+early 00's) NME reader, recall the big thing every year about it. A quick search brings up the '94 line-up.....what an inanely brilliant mix.

https://www.readingfestival.com/history/reading-1994

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, spongebob said:

I never went, but as a 90's (+early 00's) NME reader, recall the big thing every year about it. A quick search brings up the '94 line-up.....what an inanely brilliant mix.

https://www.readingfestival.com/history/reading-1994

You know how the common counter to "music was better back in my day" is "there was plenty of bad music back then, it's just only the good stuff is remembered?"

Well the '94 Reading lineup is hard to argue with. Sure, there are a few bands in there that have rightly fallen by the wayside, but for the most part, I look at that lineup and drool.

S.P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only festival I ever went to was Reading in 1994.

I'm quite amazed at the list of great artists I missed!

Did pretty much mark the end of my RHCP fandom though. They were disappointing at the very least.

Edited by fftc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess it was a period where 'alternative' actually meant something. Personally, I think Britpop was responsible for the death of such line-ups. Killed of an era of music overnight. Crossover bands like PWEI (played at Phoenix '94 IIRC) were gone a few years later, and it was all Oasis and the aforementioned Shed Seven.

Writers talk about how music fans of today genre-hop, and how the 'barriers' have been broken down. Those kind of line-ups prove that happened a long time ago. Reading had great bands before I was listening/born, but many are bands I enjoy today.

Something went seriously wrong in the late 90's, of which we're still suffering the consequences of today. Hence 2000 now being seen as a highlight - unbelievable!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steantval said:

A very good guitarist in the band called Gary Grainger, went on to play with lots of big names as a session player and tours.

Absolutely - he was also part of Rod Stewart's band in the mid / late 70's, and had a superb flamed 59 Les Paul which went for a small fortune when it was sold recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, casapete said:

Absolutely - he was also part of Rod Stewart's band in the mid / late 70's, and had a superb flamed 59 Les Paul which went for a small fortune when it was sold recently.

A bit of music trivia regarding Rod Stewart’s guitarists.

I’m pretty sure Robin Le Mesurier (son of John Le Mesurier, Sergeant Wilson Dads Army and Hattie Jacques, Carry on Films) replaced Gary Grainger in the band, the other mainstay guitarist was Jim Cregan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was my first festival experience - some fab bands such as UFO, Pat Travers, early Maiden, Gillan with John McCoy on bass, Budgie, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Slade subbed for Ozzy and stole the show and one of my own obscure favourites Girl played a Sunday afternoon slot. Happy Daze....

 

Reading-80-advert-350.jpg

Edited by Mudpup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steantval said:

A bit of music trivia regarding Rod Stewart’s guitarists.

I’m pretty sure Robin Le Mesurier (son of John Le Mesurier, Sergeant Wilson Dads Army and Hattie Jacques, Carry on Films) replaced Gary Grainger in the band, the other mainstay guitarist was Jim Cregan.

Yup, I remember that. When I saw Rod in 1976/7 he had 3 guitarists - Gary Grainger, Billy Peek and Jim Cregan. ( Saw Jim in June this year playing a gig with his band Cregan and Co, who were really good.)  Rod's bassist at the time was Phil Chen, ex-Jeff Beck etc, another great player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, casapete said:

Yup, I remember that. When I saw Rod in 1976/7 he had 3 guitarists - Gary Grainger, Billy Peek and Jim Cregan. ( Saw Jim in June this year playing a gig with his band Cregan and Co, who were really good.)  Rod's bassist at the time was Phil Chen, ex-Jeff Beck etc, another great player. 

Yeh, remember him, the Asian guy with the baseball cap, that Rod Stewart band were so tight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, spongebob said:

I read a piece on the NME site the other day, and they were discussing a piece that had been written comparing the 2000 line up to 2018, showing posters of both.

The NME was defending the 2018 festival, whilst the piece it was discussing, was talking about how good 2000 was!

It has come to something when a line up with Shed Seven, etc. (in all fairness some of it was quite good, that's just a bad example) is now, retrospectively, seen as a golden period.

Having seen the 2018 line-up, I'm (sadly) inclined to agree.

I never went, but as a 90's (+early 00's) NME reader, recall the big thing every year about it. A quick search brings up the '94 line-up.....what an inanely brilliant mix.

https://www.readingfestival.com/history/reading-1994

There's video of The Wildhearts Sunday set online. Devin Townsend guesting on guitar and Danny McCormack dislocating his knee in the first or second song. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...