Why become a member? ×

Best bass to get?

Toffeexbassist

I'm 15 years old, only been playing bass for a year and a bit.
I'm on my way to buying a third bass, but looking around the £200-£300 price range.
My parents have agreed to buy me one for christmas :)

Are there any reccomendations?

My playing styles are Mainly Funk + Metal (aka RATM + RHCP).

I prefer 24 fret to 19 but obviously i'm willing to sacrafice for the better model's.
plus, tips on buying will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tell your Stepdad that Jazz's can be just as cheap as Precisions :)
The Vintage Modified series does look impressive for low bunce!

A precision isn't gonna give u a Timmy C or Flea sound........a Jazz will! Seeing as they both use them

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='35259' date='Jul 21 2007, 03:10 PM']Tell your Stepdad that Jazz's can be just as cheap as Precisions :)
The Vintage Modified series does look impressive for low bunce!

A precision isn't gonna give u a Timmy C or Flea sound........a Jazz will! Seeing as they both use them

Si[/quote]

That's what I thought, he seemed to think it'd suit my style more.
I'll bug him a little for it =]
Are Gibson bass's as bad as people make out?

+1 for the Vintage Modified Jazz. Also, in your price range look at the Ibanez and Yamaha range. The OLP Stingray copies are good value for money as well - you could get the active OLP Tony Levin signature for under £300 which is a cracking bass for the money. Most of all, try several basses before you buy. So much of the feel of a bass is personal preference - buy what feels and sounds right to you.

Edited by simon1964

I would highly recommend you check out Schecters. I bought a Schecter Model T (modelled on a 51 precision, but with P + J pickups, real Seymour Duncans at that, none of tha Duncan Designed nonsense!). I bought it for £206+postage on Ebay and it's become one of my favourite basses. Being open minded and shrewd in your second hand purchases can be much more rewarding than just sticking to budget and buying new...

[quote name='Toffeexbassist' post='35263' date='Jul 21 2007, 02:25 PM']Are Gibson bass's as bad as people make out?[/quote]

Yes.

Well, i think peoples beef is more with the price than anything. 1000 odd for a bass thats just, averagely average.

Anyway, there have been a few old warwick streamers fitting your budget recently. theyd keep you going

+1 on the squire vintage modified jazz... If you really want a fender You can probably get a 2nd hand mexican jazz or precision off Ebay or off here.
For a FUNKIER tone youre better off with the jazz as said above but its worth trying em both to see what you prefer.
+1 on trying OLP music man copies. Flea used a Music man and the one double humbucker pickup makes alot of difference IMO.
Again try alot of different basses. And look at second hand ones aswell as you will be able to get alot better than what you can get straight from the store.

Most people have already said it but...........

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, Yamaha BB414, Schecter Model T, all great basses.

Don't let your stepdad decide for you though, go and try a few in the shops and decide for yourself, you'll know what you like the best only by listening to them with your own ears.

For what it's worth, if it was me, the Squier would be favourite.

You can pick up a used MIM Jazz for £275 ish. OLP Tony Levin, Musicman Sub4 or Yamaha BB414 are all excellent used buys.

I [u]very [/u]strongly recommend sitting down and playing with these basses (or any others you have a GAS attack for) before making a choice. You will be (for example) much better off buying a £120 Squier Jazz that is really comfortable in your hands than spending £300 on a MIM Precision that doesn't feel right for you.

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='35421' date='Jul 21 2007, 11:54 PM']You can pick up a used MIM Jazz for £275 ish. OLP Tony Levin, Musicman Sub4 or Yamaha BB414 are all excellent used buys.

I [u]very [/u]strongly recommend sitting down and playing with these basses (or any others you have a GAS attack for) before making a choice. You will be (for example) much better off buying a £120 Squier Jazz that is really comfortable in your hands than spending £300 on a MIM Precision that doesn't feel right for you.[/quote]

That's very sound advice.

You've got 2 things in your favour though.
[list]
[*]Experience. You've been playing for a while and have had a couple of basses so you know a bit about what you like and what you don't. Plus you're not going to be intimidated by a music shop in the same way that a complete beginner probably would be. So get out there, try as many basses as you can get your hands on - even ones way outside your price range. Even if you can't afford them it's a great way to learn what characteristics you like and don't like. The bass bashes are a great chance to do this too.
[*]Time. This is for Xmas, so that's 5 months. There is no need to make a quick decision and plenty of time to check every music shop in a 50 mile radius!
[/list]

MB1. :)

There are quite a few in that price range.What i would suggest is you try any bass youre thinking of purchasing, on a -strap- in the shop before you buy it.what i have noticed with some of the cheaper basses is they can be quite playable sat down, but the minute you put them on the strap,theyre ridiculously neck heavy.Gibsons and Epiphones can suffer from this,a lot of cheaper basses are really well made these days, but having to hold the neck up on any ill balanced instrument ,wont help your playing.I would say Squire Fender or a japanese/mexican fender, second hand jazz.Try to take another bassist or guitarist friend, with you when you purchase(treat them too a mcdonalds) cheaper than making a costly mistake. Try not to get interested in something with no resale value,just in case you change your mind(thats why i said Fender, they wont loose too much on resale, and theyre always popular).Bear in mind theres many a good tune played on an old fiddle(BRAND NEW, ISNT ALWAYS BEST).SO try as many BASSES as you can, and F++K the fiddle!ENJOY.

all the best
MB1. :huh:

[quote name='Hamster' post='35421' date='Jul 21 2007, 11:54 PM']You can pick up a used MIM Jazz for £275 ish. OLP Tony Levin, Musicman Sub4 or Yamaha BB414 are all excellent used buys.[/quote]

i found a slightly tatty MIM Jazz for less than £200 which when cleaned up was as good as new.
OLPs look good and you should be able to get one of the active yamaha basses (BB614?) used well within your budget

but yeah, definitely go into a shop and play as many as you can until you find one you like and even 2 of the same basses aren't necessarily going to be the same

Toffee, what basses have you already got? Do you want something that's the same but more? Something different?
Is one of them worth spending the money on upgrades?

At the top of your price range you MIGHT just find an abused MIA fender (especially as you've got 5 months).

If you're looking at new basses don't forget to try the Rockbass range. Great instruments for the cash.

the best playing bass I ever owned was my Modulus mucho bucks Flea bass. The second was my £299 Bass Collection Speakeasy bass. Incredible value for so little. the next after that was a Rockbass Fortress ( I think ).

You don't have to spend mega bucks to get a top bass.

Different people play different stuff when they pick up a bass - I play one of the fastest runs I know I can play. If I can't play it, it goes back on the rack, if I can about manage it it is a possible after a good setup, if it seems easy then its an instant purchase - the bass collection was the latter.

Not a status symbol but if you're looking for playability over snob factor or a 'name' this is my number one choice. Everyone does them. You can even get them under the SX name (big in the US) for less but they don't have as good electronics