Why become a member? ×

The Ernie Ball 2018 Stingray Special

50 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I didn't realise what they cost new now or how hard to find in five strings they are, Thomann was the only place I found one, £2801. 

I don't think that price reflects how much they'd be, ordered new in the UK. The Classic Stingrays are around in reasonable numbers and although not as many as 4s, there are quite a lot of 5s as well. 

In terms of relative prices new I can give you some comparisons:-

1993 - £725 - 4 string Fretless incl gig bag

2003 - £1295 - 5 string natural/maple incl hard case

2003 - £1395 - 4 string plus piezo natural/maple incl hard case

2010 - £1695 - 4 string classic/birds eye maple incl hard case

Since 2016 special editions have been over £2k and standard models just short of £2k. 

There's always the US Sub 5 for those wanting the classic look in a 5 string - seen with its Classic (and more luxurious) sibling!! 

The quote I had back in April for the Stingray Specials ranged from about £2099 - £2399 dependent on colour and 4 v 5 string - the upper prices were 5 string in sparkles or other more unusual colours (including the one I've ordered......)

image.thumb.jpeg.77fb18d304c9c651839bcf897f0fff76.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray

I think the quality of the high spec MM’s is excellent (e.g. PDN’s, Ltd Ed and classics) and up there with the similarly priced hand made basses I’ve tried/owned. The new Specials look as though they’ll be more high spec than the already pretty good current SR4’s, Ikm keen to see if they really are much better in the flesh. 

Hand made isn’t a definer of quality, or an indication that it’d be better than a similarly priced factory built. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

I think the quality of the high spec MM’s is excellent (e.g. PDN’s, Ltd Ed and classics) and up there with the similarly priced hand made basses I’ve tried/owned. The new Specials look as though they’ll be more high spec than the already pretty good current SR4’s, Ikm keen to see if they really are much better in the flesh. 

Hand made isn’t a definer of quality, or an indication that it’d be better than a similarly priced factory built. 

No, it isn’t. But the names I listed are reputable companies with a good name, not for nothing, that can build to your exact spec. I played Stingrays exclusive for 12+ years, quality instruments, but at these price points there is a lot of competition out there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HazBeen said:

No, it isn’t. But the names I listed are reputable companies with a good name, not for nothing, that can build to your exact spec. I played Stingrays exclusive for 12+ years, quality instruments, but at these price points there is a lot of competition out there.

So many of these perfect "exact spec" basses get sold on within a year or two in my experience. 

The thing is, another luthier's take on a Stingray will not be a Stingray. Like the Sandberg basic - it doesn't sound like a Ray, or look like one.

The prices are very high right now....I'm not sure how many bassists can spend £2000+ on a Stingray. I'd love one of the new Special models, but I can't spend that amount without thinking I should be more sensible and put it towards something else in life.

My Stingray Classic 5 was £1600 approx. new, in Natural, and it has amazing figuring on the neck. I'd say for me, it is the PERFECT bass guitar overall. Now, I imagine you have to pay a lot more for one of those.....not just a few hundred. 

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

So many of these perfect "exact spec" basses get sold on within a year or two in my experience. 

As do most instruments full stop. The entire music industry caters for GAS, like the new Stingrays there was no intrinsic need to upgrade/update the old. But let’s not get caught in yes/no discussions, Stingrays are quality instruments and for those who feel they are the right decision I am sure they will happily pay the price associated with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HazBeen said:

As do most instruments full stop. The entire music industry caters for GAS, like the new Stingrays there was no intrinsic need to upgrade/update the old. But let’s not get caught in yes/no discussions, Stingrays are quality instruments and for those who feel they are the right decision I am sure they will happily pay the price associated with them.

Yes but you can get a close idea of what you'll be getting by trying a mass produced bass in a shop before ordering one, making a list of all the things you like and having that built often leads to disappointment. 

5 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Yes but you can get a close idea of what you'll be getting by trying a mass produced bass in a shop before ordering one, making a list of all the things you like and having that built often leads to disappointment. 

We can agree to disagree on this.

12 hours ago, HazBeen said:

We can agree to disagree on this.

AFAIK there's no rule to say you can't have both a custom built and a mass produced bass at the same time anyway, I could enjoy both! 

There are plenty of examples of high profile players far better than me using off the hook Rays in all genres of music, time spent lusting over custom build basses would be better spent practicing for me. 

• Thanks 1

These basses, contrary to my initial misgivings, sound very good indeed and the light weight and new contours promise a much more ergonomic Stingray. However, I don't like black hardware on a traditional 4 string Stingray. I'm not keen on ebony fingerboards either. Or sparkle finishes.And the white ones are the wrong shade of white to go with the roasted maple.

The overall reaction to how these basses look has been very positive, but i am struggling to find one I could live with, to be honest. I don't like the bridge, either. No Stingray really looks right without the big old-style mute bridge.

I will still probably buy one, anyway. And then not be happy with it.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving the roasted maple look, I think it's beautiful.

To add some perspective, 20 years ago in 1998 I bought a new SR4 3EQ Black & Maple while on holiday in the states. The price tag at the time was $1100, which equated to IR£600 at the time. Adjusting for inflation, that equates to $1700  and  €1096 in today's money.  Stingrays at the time back home were about 1500 Irish Pounds which is north of €2.5k in today's money, which coincidentally is what the new specials are going for on thomann.......

• Like 1