Why become a member? ×

The Ernie Ball 2018 Stingray Special

I have had a 4HH and a 5HH on order for a while so this has increased my GAS and excitement. The finishes on offer are great as well - the 4 will be Aqua sparkle and the 5 Cruz teal. Can't wait to get my hands on them. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

So, if I order an SLO version of this, would it be a Stingray Special SLO Special?

As I understand it, fretted standard neck profiles, roasted, currently. Both of the ones I've ordered will have black hardware, ebony boards and stainless steel frets. 

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

I'm not normally a sunburst fan, but the tobacco burst with the roasted maple 'board looks lovely.

Are they a permanent addition to the line?

You know what, I'm really not sure. I presume so, for the foreseeable. You can no longer order a normal Stingray....the standard Stingray option brings up the Classics/Neck Throughs etc. 

3 hours ago, drTStingray said:

As I understand it, fretted standard neck profiles, roasted, currently. Both of the ones I've ordered will have black hardware, ebony boards and stainless steel frets. 

Yeah, just checked and it looks like SLO's are history unless they do limited runs of them at some point.

14 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

What prices are we looking at?

You'll have to ask a dealer - I decided I wanted a 4 and a 5 after NAMM so chased S and T on it and eventually, once they'd worked out pricing, they hooked me up with Andertons - I had a complete price list and was asked to pick my spec from it. There is a dealer stock type order as far as I know as well but I wouldn't expect some of the more esoteric colours... 

My two HHs are over £2k each but the 4 is almost the same price as my Neptune blue Sabre was in 2014 - the 5 is a little more. 

For those who prefer the oval pg on a 5, well you can't have everything - though you can buy a Classic Stingray 5 like that. Basically some people prefer the regular SR5 look (I was someone who actually preferred the oval one originally but my view and taste has changed over the years - I now like both, probably shading towards my regular SR5 rather than my US Sub 5 in that regard!!) 

Edited by drTStingray

15 hours ago, fretmeister said:

"Averaging about 8lb"

Time to start saving up!

Yeah - for an SR5 that weight is quite something!

If you're going to save up I'd go for an HH - bags of versatility and it wouldn't surprise me if they haven't baked in some of that P bass sound for the middle coil setting as they did on the Classic Sabre. 

10 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Yeah - for an SR5 that weight is quite something!

If you're going to save up I'd go for an HH - bags of versatility and it wouldn't surprise me if they haven't baked in some of that P bass sound for the middle coil setting as they did on the Classic Sabre. 

That weight is for the 4 string.

As I have two lovely 5s (My PJ-Ray and a Marleaux) I'm thinking about a 4 for a change anyway. 

I might even leave it stock this time!!! :D 

12 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I know it's Thomann, but they are up for pre-order there. Prices start at ~£2150.

And only a couple of years ago you could buy a Stingray 4-string for almost £1000 less... :(

1 minute ago, mcnach said:

And only a couple of years ago you could buy a Stingray 4-string for almost £1000 less... :(

In 2010 i bought a SR5 new, online, in a store that i believe no longer exist (guitarandampshop.co.uk or something very similar) for something close to £1150 with P&P to Portugal included. Still wish i hadn't sold it but it weighted a ton and some. At that time there was an identical one (except it had rosewood fb) in a local store with a horrible setup priced at 2300€!

I still want to own a SR5 in the future but mine doesn't exist (yet). EBMM are getting closer though. Now, they just need to take this, put a second humbucker and shave off the weight down to the 8-8.5lbs of the new line:
mum_sr5cl5653tsbmn2.jpg

Edit: Oh! and add a Pan pot too!

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I was really not impressed by the changes when I first heard about them, but I have done a bit of U-turn. I think they have made some valid and purposeful changes to the bass rather than just change the colour and tweak a pickup. The roasted necks look superb and the sculpted neck joint is lovely, but I still think this is big lump of money for a Stingray.

Perhaps I haven't got with the times on what things cost, but when I first started playing and fairly recently, I have bought second-hand Stingrays in immaculate condition for less than 1k, so I don't understand buying one for more than double that. I am a fan though and I have to say if I had the spare money I would love to pick up a second-hand Smoothie or Classic Ray which are a premium.

Good on them though, a really nice set of updates to a classic bass and you still have the option for a classic reproduction if they aren't your cup of tea.