Why become a member? ×

Smallish amps for practice

Zampa

Hi basers...

Can anyone recommend a few small (ish) practice amps that still have a decent deep bass sound..I currently have a Laney amp which is about 2 foot high, 18 inches deep and two foot wide housing a 15 inch speaker....I made the mistake of thinking bigger speaker bigger bass...but that is only achievable with volume..a lot of it.

Not practical for the home.

I don't mind new or a second hand one to track down..but i would like like a deep sound if thats possible, I dont want to spend a fortune as I am only really a novice who plays for fun..I'' never be able to progress as I dont understand all the concept of root, 5ths, majors, etc..Its just for fun, and I love it. 

Headphones are not an option as I suffer from tinnitus

Also, would heavier gauge strings make a difference?..I have considered them but I am unsure whether the thin neck of my ibanez would handle the extra tension

Thanks

I use my regular amps (they turn down) and a Barefaced One10 cab. I gig with these and didn't want to spend any cash on specific gear to play at home. If you don't gig this might be more expensive but IMO it sounds better because practice amps never use premium components, have top quality EQ or have amps or cabs and drivers designed to good sonic principals.

Even with tinnitus I'd still check out ear phones. IMO you can hear better at very low volume levels with ear phones.

• Like 1

Fender Rumble combos are excellent, the V.3 range. Good tonal range, loud and very portable/light.

The 40w version is great, and don't let the speaker diameter put you off - they have lots of low end.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-rumble-40-bass-guitar-combo-v3?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgIidopDi2gIVDLTtCh1QUwrCEAQYAyABEgKo7PD_BwE

• Like 1

Is there going to be much difference between the 25 and the 40 Fender rumble at the low end?...obviously it is half the price there must be some difference between the two..is it just power and a few more knobs?

Thanks for all the info so far guys...much appreciated

Edited by Zampa

Depending on your budget, and second-hand availability: some of the smaller Phil Jones amps sound surprisingly good for the size.

On the larger end, the Bass Briefcase certainly works at low levels also. At the tiny end of the spectrum - the Double Four gives surprisingly deep sound, given the size. (Personally, am not a fan of the Bass Cub - the DoubleFour seems to have a tighter/clearer sound)

Edited by kumimajava
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 00:13, Zampa said:

I dont want to spend a fortune as I am only really a novice who plays for fun..

By the sound of it, the OP doesn't have the funds for a Phil Jones / Markbass / Barefaced etc set-up.

Hence the more realistic mentions for Fender / Roland / Ashdown combos. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

By the sound of it, the OP doesn't have the funds for a Phil Jones / Markbass / Barefaced etc set-up.

Hence the more realistic mentions for Fender / Roland / Ashdown combos. :D

I've been a novice who plays for fun for the past 30-40 years!

• Like 2

@Zampa, what’s your budget? I was about to recommend a Phil Jones Double Four but it seems that may be over budget at around £300 used.

If you can pick up a used Line 6 Studio 110 it may be exactly what you’re looking for and for not all that much money either. 4 band EQ, DI out, some basic amp modelling, one knob compressor, headphone output. I’ve had one for years and it’s served me very well.

• Like 1