Why become a member? ×

It's Squier, Squire

prowla

12 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I have literally never heard it pronounced to rhyme with embarrassed, and if I did I would think they had it wrong. But it seems you are correct!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/harassed

But language is constantly evolving. If 99% of the population say haRASSed then surely that becomes the 'right' way eventually!

The correct pronunciation of harass

Just found this which backs up my story! Lots of words are mispronounced and of course languages constantly evolve otherwise we'd still say thee and thy but in the 1970s people laughed hysterically at Frank Spencer for saying "hurassed"!

I lived for the first ten years of my life just outside Belfast before moving over to England. When I came over kids in my class at school would keep asking "Trevor, would you say 'I had to wait at the gate because you were late to see a film at eight...' please."

Roll eyes. "Oh Kayee, Aye had to wey-yut at the gey-yut because you were ley-yut to see a fillum at ae-yut... [sigh]"

35 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

I lived for the first ten years of my life just outside Belfast before moving over to England. When I came over kids in my class at school would keep asking "Trevor, would you say 'I had to wait at the gate because you were late to see a film at eight...' please."

Roll eyes. "Oh Kayee, Aye had to wey-yut at the gey-yut because you were ley-yut to see a fillum at ae-yut... [sigh]"

We've got a fantastic Scottish singer in our band. He's been working down in England for a decade. We still have no idea what he is saying half the time...xD

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

We had a girl in our office from that neck of the woods. Even she admitted it sounded funny when we got her to say "how now, brown cow?". Right up there with getting a Glaswegian to say "burglar alarm" :)

58 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

We've got a fantastic Scottish singer in our band. He's been working down in England for a decade. We still have no idea what he is saying half the time...xD

My Mum was Scottish; incomprehensible more than half the time in my case. :$

Well, if the name was changed from the Spanish spelling, then it's an eye-ban-ezz.

If it is still insisting on its Spanish roots, then it's ee-ban-yeth.

Mongrel variations like eye-ban-eth, ee-ban-eth, etc., which pick part this-part that are implicitly wrong.

My Spanish born and bred teacher says as I said, Ibanez, ee ban eth.

It has no accent, it has no tilde so you can't just add them because it sounds more Spanish. 

Of course the origin of the name Salvador Ibáñez would be pronounced, Ee ba nyeth. 

I'd still use Eyebanez in a shop anyway, lol. 

Edited by stingrayPete1977

7 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

We had a girl in our office from that neck of the woods. Even she admitted it sounded funny when we got her to say "how now, brown cow?". Right up there with getting a Glaswegian to say "burglar alarm" :)

Another school room classic from my youth... Hauugh nauugh brauughn cauugh!

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

If you're going for the full Ibáñez then the accent will make it a ba with a hard á, the ñ is pronounced with the y sound so "E-ba-nyeth". 

I was assuming that "ee" is soft and "ban" is hard...

But anyway, since they dropped the accent & tilde, it is no longer a Spanish word.

On the subject of the spelling of a word leading to the mispronounciation of the word. Whilst at primary school, a customary punishment handed out by us kids was a 'Chinese Burn'. Roll on ten years. Upon entering a pub for the first time, imagine my panic and anticipation in equal measures when my port drinking friend told me to go and ask the leggy barmaid for a couple of Cockburns. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, prowla said:

Well, if the name was changed from the Spanish spelling, then it's an eye-ban-ezz.

If it is still insisting on its Spanish roots, then it's ee-ban-yeth.

Mongrel variations like eye-ban-eth, ee-ban-eth, etc., which pick part this-part that are implicitly wrong.

This is why people buy Fender

• Haha 1

Although Ibanez was originally a Spanish name it's been acquired by a Japanese maker. They own the brand and the product and have turned a backwater Spanish luthier into a a global brand. So what we need here is how the Japanese owners pronounce this. Good luck with that! :D

In the meantime, as the proud owner of three of these fantastic basses I'm gonna carry on calling them 'Ibanez', and won't need to be buying a Fender :P

Cue gratuitous pic:

Ibanez SRs! (Mar 2018).JPG

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Although Ibanez was originally a Spanish name it's been acquired by a Japanese maker. They own the brand and the product and have turned a backwater Spanish luthier into a a global brand. So what we need here is how the Japanese owners pronounce this. Good luck with that! :D

Probably "Ibano"