Why become a member? ×

"Fender" P Special reliced with a power sander,

OldGit

He originally listed this at start price 99p and I placed a bid on it.

I've been after a hot rodded P for a while and I figured that as long as it didn't go for a lot I could refinish it and make something half decent out of it but he cancelled all the bids and relisted it at that price.

I emailed him to get some more info about and questioned his statement that it is old, and I got back a rather snotty and barely literate reply telling me it was definitely made in 1964. Erm...ok

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='334308' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:32 AM']He originally listed this at start price 99p and I placed a bid on it.

I've been after a hot rodded P for a while and I figured that as long as it didn't go for a lot I could refinish it and make something half decent out of it but he cancelled all the bids and relisted it at that price.

I emailed him to get some more info about and questioned his statement that it is old, and I got back a rather snotty and barely literate reply telling me it was definitely made in 1964. Erm...ok[/quote]

He's one of those cynical guys who knows that there's someone out there prepared to take the £400+ risk on the off-chance that it's a genuine 1964. I've had two PMs from quite clued-up BC members asking for my opinion on the bass and whether it's worth spending big bucks on. The fact that they couldn't see through it says it all really. I'd say that, despite this thread (and the other on this bass in the bass guitars forum - the one discussing Precisions with matching headstocks), there's still a chance someone on here buys it.
Chances are it is a genuine Fender (an MIM, possibly a Squire), which enables the seller to avoid any post-auction action from the buyer or ebay as, despite not telling anything like the truth, he probably hasn't told any lies, not in writing anyway (that's why he's put his phone number, that way anything he tells you is your word against his.
Steer clear guys, unless you want and expensive MIM
Chris

[quote name='simon1964' post='334343' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:08 PM']Isn't the headstock logo a 60s transition Jazz logo? Certainly doesn't look like a Precision logo.[/quote]

I think it is but its in the wrong place as is the string retainer and it don't look right ! but that could be a slight variation :)
As the Beedster says its probably a MIM but the seller states it is a Precision Neck, with a Jazz Logo ? I think he is confusing us......

As is the truss rod adjustment which is at the wrong end for an early Jazz / Precision whatever !

[attachment=16261:Jazz02.jpg]

[attachment=16263:Jazz01.jpg]

Edited by Prosebass

I noticed the Jazz bass logo on the headstock as well - a real p bass of that age would be worth a fortune due to the lack of Ps with matching headstocks.

Some people will try anything to sell on a bag of crap

'This bass was used by Jesus before he left the Grateful Dead to form the Devil's Satans' and so on. you get the idea.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='334392' date='Nov 22 2008, 01:23 PM']'This bass was used by Jesus before he left the Grateful Dead to form the Devil's Satans' and so on. you get the idea.[/quote]

Well that's just daft - Jesus clearly played an acoustic bass as there was no electricity in Palestine until at least 1924.

Edit
Ahh just had Sarah Palin on the phone, apparently there is a mention of electricity in Palestine (or "Israel" as she calls it.) in th year 25 in her version of the bible. And Dan Brown mentions a noiseless Precision in The Da Vinci Code, Chapter 32: "With noiseless Precision, the heavy wall slid sideways..."

Oh hang on, I can see how Jesus may have existed, and played bass, but a noiseless Precision?

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='334286' date='Nov 22 2008, 10:53 AM']Outstanding!

Pics taken with a low-quality camera phone against a black satin bedsheet ... well why would you want to be able to see anything clearly before parting with >£400 for a dodgy bass?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Probably not the First Time he's had sh*t on his bedsheets!....Me thinks?.

Well, he got his £400.

Someone really got burned bad there.

I got this when I asked about the logo on the neck and the extra pup

"hi there i don't no it just how i got it but sound great"

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='334989' date='Nov 23 2008, 04:56 PM']anyone live close and can drop in to visit him and take him up on his offer to have a play on it??? It's not like he's in that weird eBay zone called the outer hebrides where most of the really dodgy bases get sold from...[/quote]

Judging from his responses, I think issues relating to personal safety might might take precendence :)