Why become a member? ×

Music shop fails

MarkG3

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:11, NJE said:

PMT in Bristol were really friendly and they do have a good bass section. Happy to let me play and always chatty when I go in there.

Saying that I have been into Wunjo in normal attire and the guys in the bass dept have always been genuinely decent and friendly people happy to chat gigs and kit and they didn’t slap the living stinky poo out of any bass I wanted to play.

Pretty much my experience of both, nothing too much bother, happy to chat not just about the products but music in general.

I bought a bass from my local branch of a well known guitar retailer about three years ago. When I looked on the website later the price was £100 less than what I’d paid in store. I phoned them to see if they’d refund the difference or at give least give me a voucher. Would they hell...

Before Frank Hessy's in Liverpool city centre (you know, the shop made famous by the Beatles) closed down they only had Marshall and Peavey amps and Fender guitars, if you wanted anything decent you had to go out of town. No wonder they went down the pan.

Edited by goingdownslow

On 13 April 2018 at 13:12, goingdownslow said:

Before Frank Hessy's in Liverpool city centre (you know, the shop made famous by the Beatles) closed down they only had Marshall and Peavey amps and Fender guitars, if you wanted anything decent you had to go out of town. No wonder they went down the pan.

There was Rushworths (Brian Epstein's family's shop) and Curly Music in town and there was a small music shop in Garston where I bought my first bass as a 13 year old kid!

Since I've been on missionary work in Manchester I've found the fellas at PMT to be really helpful and there's a lovely bloke who runs Marvel in Timperley but his stock is your typical small shop low-end learner instruments.

In Birmingham and walk passed Fair Deal music. I notice they have a Moog DFAM set up. 

So I wander in and have a go. Two mins later on of the staff starts playing a slap bass solo... on a synth... think Seinfeld! 🙄

after that he spends 5 mins playing horrible drone filter sweeps on a Moog Phatty...😫🙄

When i drive through the picturesque old market town of Romford in Essex i've noticed a Yamaha music shop. It seems to be mostly filled with pianos, but there are other instruments also. Do any other manufacturers have shops like this? Is there a Fender shop anywhere? How does this work with ordinary music shops that are Yamaha stockists? 

3 minutes ago, mentalextra said:

When i drive through the picturesque old market town of Romford in Essex i've noticed a Yamaha music shop. It seems to be mostly filled with pianos, but there are other instruments also. Do any other manufacturers have shops like this? Is there a Fender shop anywhere? How does this work with ordinary music shops that are Yamaha stockists? 

Yamaha have a shop in Soho too, and for many years one in Milton Keynes.

12 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Yamaha have a shop in Soho too, and for many years one in Milton Keynes.

Yamaha’s UK headquarters was (is?) in MK so that may explain why.

Chappells of Bond St was somewhere I visited a lot for great bass books and sheet music etc back in the day - then they moved to Wardour St. I think tough times and the fact that Yamaha were a fairly big supplier of stock in the new shop meant the takeover was inevitable. Last time I went there (admittedly years ago) they still had the sheet music in the basement.

PMT Northampton - a few years back now. 

Wanted to switch string gauges but couldn't be bothered to do the new set-up myself. I know, will drop it off at PMT.

Hello, can you restring and set-up my bass for me?

No problem, see you in a week.

One week later...

Hello, I'm here to pick up my bass.

That will be £10 please. 

For a restring and set-up? Wow, that's a good price.

No, we only restrung your bass liked you asked...

I showed him my original receipt which clearly states set-up.

Well, you could leave it with us another week to finish the set-up?

Right...

One good thing that came out of this is I taught myself how to do a set-up, adjusting the truss rod, action at the bridge & nut, intonation, pickup heights etc.