Why become a member? ×

The Soul, Funk and Groove thread.. Pete Academy's original thread part 2.

bubinga5

25 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Saw these guys at the Cricketers many years ago. 

Nice, more recent clip showing that Jim still has his chops:

Fabulous stuff. I've only seen Jim Mullen play once, it was a Sunday afternoon gig playing with his Jazz outfit at The Lion, Basford, Nottingham. It was quite a while ago though. 

7 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

With all respect Mick im not sure  about that. One of the greatest bands of all time. They have the biggest following of any soul funk band of all time.

Was actually very surprised as to how successful they were when I had a look before leaping to their defence. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2022 at 21:08, TheGreek said:

IMO EW&F would have more of a following if they didn't have the falsetto vocals. 

It took me some time to get used to Phillip Bailey's falsetto before I eventually did, well at least on the uptempo tunes like Serpentine Fire. I still skip those ballads where he's the principal vocalist. I'm not a fan of ballads in any genre and for me these tend to spoil those albums where they account for around half the number of tracks. Funk-wise EW&F, War and the Ohio Players praps did more slower unfunky tunes than most other funk mobs.

• 4 weeks later...