Why become a member? ×

Alpha Omega Ultra

dannybuoy

It had to be something different as essentially in a year he has released the AO, mini AO and Ultra AO. USB connectivity surprised me a bit I must admit, but thinking about a Cab sim it seems obvious with the venture into cabs.

What is ironic (unless you were being ironic) is that it’s a ‘yeah’ moment when it’s only £389.

Crikey!

Line 6 looks better and better all the time

18 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

slightly gutted its not both the alpha and omega on separate switches, honestly dnt see the point of the headphone out? 

the 10 band eq is pretty cool idea but also what works for the drives doesnt for everyone on the clean

Having them switchable generates the same argument I had with the amp really, I would have completely different settings for Alpha and Omega so a switch wouldn't be of any use for me.  Headphone out has been added to get it in line with other Preamp pedals, sure many will have quite a big use for it. 

Just now, dannybuoy said:

Headphone out with an aux in isn't much use though unless you are a solo bassist!

This is very true, I did make this comment to Doug when I was speaking with him about it and apparently he couldn't make it work with the current layout and circuit.

Still, if you're writing some lines at night and don't want to wake the kids, I can still see a use for it.  Plenty of units out there without an aux in.

48 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Headphone out with an aux in isn't much use though unless you are a solo bassist!

That's not entirely fair. Even most band playing bassists have occasional need for 'stealth mode' if they're working on stuff at home rather than in a studio, when the kids are in bed, or neighbours are not being appreciative! A headphone amp with aux in is just the ticket. The headphone out and aux in one on my B3n has meant it's stayed on my board when I've been downsizing a bunch of other pedals (and it may yet make a return, if it doesn't get snapped up and I give up trying to fit everything on a PT Nano+ :)); and for some folk e.g. @dave_bass5 - I think that is exactly what he uses for home bass playing.

• Like 1

I think you've totally misundertood my post due to a typo! I'll fix...

Headphone out without an aux in isn't much use though unless you are a solo bassist!

95% of my playing at home is through a PJB Bighead. But most of the time I am playing along to an mp3, backing track or drum loop etc. I practice solo as well of course, but being able to play against something is so important that any headphone amp without an aux in is officially useless since you'll just have to buy an extra headphone amp anyway!

• Thanks 1

@Al KrowSpot on. Id love something like this, but i agree, without an Aux in i'd never bother with the headphone side.

My usual home practice is Bass and iPad in to my Zoom B3n. when i want to use my pedal board (not often at home) i put the zoom in to Tuner/bypass mode, or use an amp sim. Works well.

I have my OD/dirt stuff before the Zoom 60D on my board. Id have to move or re wire the board so that the Ultra is last in the chain for home use if i wanted to use the headphone out, then change it back for live use.

Still, its a nice feature to have, but i would think if you have it on your board then it wont get used much. I wonder if they will progress with the USB side and allow the Ultra to be used as a Audio interface with a computer. That would be nice.

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Having them switchable generates the same argument I had with the amp really, I would have completely different settings for Alpha and Omega so a switch wouldn't be of any use for me.  Headphone out has been added to get it in line with other Preamp pedals, sure many will have quite a big use for it. 

I meant more totally separate channels own eq for each same eq as the standard ao but on both channels. 

Im sure many will have a use for the headphone out but I you can really use it as a practice tool if you have a big board due to it having to be last. 

For one pedal guys will be great or guys with no back line. For me it’s missed the mark a bit. 

Would be cool if they put some eq control on the clean side rather than it being shared 

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

I think you've totally misundertood my post due to a typo! I'll fix...

95% of my playing at home is through a PJB Bighead. But most of the time I am playing along to an mp3, backing track or drum loop etc. I practice solo as well of course, but being able to play against something is so important that any headphone amp without an aux in is officially useless since you'll just have to buy an extra headphone amp anyway!

Haha yes! That typo makes all the difference!!  😎 In which case I'm 100% in agreement with you: a headphone amp needs an aux in, otherwise it's only half useful. Exactly the same limitation on the 2Notes Le Bass if I remember correctly ie no aux in to complement its headphone out. 

On 25/01/2018 at 19:20, fretmeister said:

£389 isn't as bad as I expected, but when the new Line 6 HX effects unit is £540 including the B7KU model (and about a million compressors and drives and everything else - see the Helix thread for the latest update) the DG is starting to look more expensive.

Starting to look expensive? Just "starting" to? 😋

I wait with baited breath for what slightly tweaked pedal darkglass break the £400 barrier with. The problem I have with stuff like this is they're mainly a one setting pedal or on and off if you prefer. For the price they're getting into now, if it doesn't have midi presets I consider it to be robbery. Consider. The strymon timeline. Arguably the best delay pedal on the market. Full midi implementation and costs less than the Darkglass stuff. Just saying. They are getting very expensive for what they are.

I agree about the Helix actually. When my trusty Digitech 2120 dies, it's what I'll be getting.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Starting to look expensive? Just "starting" to? 😋

I wait with baited breath for what slightly tweaked pedal darkglass break the £400 barrier with. The problem I have with stuff like this is they're mainly a one setting pedal or on and off if you prefer. For the price they're getting into now, if it doesn't have midi presets I consider it to be robbery. Consider. The strymon timeline. Arguably the best delay pedal on the market. Full midi implementation and costs less than the Darkglass stuff. Just saying. They are getting very expensive for what they are.

I agree about the Helix actually. When my trusty Digitech 2120 dies, it's what I'll be getting.

+1 entirely!

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

+1 entirely!

Agreed. Also these pedals seem to be used with other pedals to get those amazing tones (at least, that’s what it seem like when I go in to OD threads). That’s a lot of money for something that seems to need yet more money spent to make it good.

A fodera at £10k is a lot of money for a bass that could be built by a local Luthier with very similar materials and specs for maybe £1k.  Why buy a ferrari when a fiesta will get you there? Why not buy the cheapest version of everything?

This repeated argument is bizarre... Gear costs different because it is different, simples. The market dictates whether its worth it or not, and given the rapid and huge success of Darkglass, its quite clear what the general market thinks.  If manufacturers increase their prices without justification or warning, that's a different matter and that pisses me off too.  But with Darkglass, do a bit of research and compare the cost of a B7K in 2012 compared to now.  Then youll see where I'm coming from. 

@Kev I am going to sit on the fence and see both sides of the argument, as both are valid.

@Wolverinebass simply pointed out that the multiFx units like Line6, Fractal AX8, Boss has a new one at NAMM are not far off in price to 1 pedal and you get a load more, including the sound of a similar pedal (no doubt an AO patch will become available).

There is nothing wrong in that, you are a seasoned player, know what you want, and will get it to use it how you want. There may be people newer to effects than you who stumble across the forum and thread and some balance to show them opportunities out there is justified.

You could take it further and say why not spend the same money on a Genzler 350 Magellan which has one of the best drive channels out there, AND is an amplifier which is ultimately more useful than just a pedal.

@fretmeister And Wolverine’s posts are not saying get the cheapest version of something, they are saying if you spend a little more you can get the same thing practically, AND a whole heap more. So it’s more saying don’t get a Ferrari with just 1gear, get one with flappy paddles, 7 speed gear box, reverse etc.

I think sometimes we all get defensive of products we like, I certainly do with my stuff!

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

A fodera at £10k is a lot of money for a bass that could be built by a local Luthier with very similar materials and specs for maybe £1k.  Why buy a ferrari when a fiesta will get you there? Why not buy the cheapest version of everything?

This repeated argument is bizarre... Gear costs different because it is different, simples. The market dictates whether its worth it or not, and given the rapid and huge success of Darkglass, its quite clear what the general market thinks.  If manufacturers increase their prices without justification or warning, that's a different matter and that pisses me off too.  But with Darkglass, do a bit of research and compare the cost of a B7K in 2012 compared to now.  Then youll see where I'm coming from. 

A zoom B3n does way more than a B7K Ultra, yet cost under half the price. It includes a B7K and B3K sim.. Just saying.  just because something cost a lot more doesn't make it better, and believe it or not, almost £400 is a lot of money for a box that makes a farty noise :-)

Edited by dave_bass5

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

You could take it further and say why not spend the same money on a Genzler 350 800 Magellan which has one of the best drive channels out there, AND is an amplifier which is ultimately more useful than just a pedal.

Just small one small factual point to correct dear Cuzz (per Osiris's excellent review - see link below):

And it's a great drive channel as far as it goes, which on the But on the 'dirt spectrum' of warm-valve-->overdrive-->distortion-->fuzz is pretty much just warm valve i.e. not very far at all.

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

A zoom B3n does way more than a B7K Ultra, yet cost under half the price. It includes a B7K and B3K sim.. Just saying.  just because something cost a lot more doesn't make it better, and believe it or not, almost £400 is a lot of money for a box that makes a farty noise :-)

Dave - as a fellow B3n (and B3K / VMT on my M900) owner, I'm 90% of the way there with you. The B3n IS a LOT of pedal for the money (in fact so much so, I've just realised I was being dippy looking to sell mine for £115 and it's coming back into the Krow fold!).

But if you listen carefully to the B3n sims of the B7K and B3K they are pretty close approximations, but they're definitely not 100% accurate (e.g. the the B3n sims are significantly more toppy / fizzy - which I find annoying, given I'm not a fan of the top end 'fizz' on the B3K / VMT in the first place and find myself turning the 'Tone' = LPF setting 'down' to reduce this aspect on my M900). But you have to be listening fairly carefully and with an isolated bass / no other instruments to spot this.

Would a pub audience notice the difference between a B3n sim and a B7K / B3K when you're playing with a full band? Almost certainly not. So from that perspective it's more than adequate.

This does not extend to all effects though. The B3n is pants at octave tracking compared to an analogue octave pedal such as my (relatively inexpensive second hand) COG T16.

Edited by Al Krow