Why become a member? ×

What's with the 'flipping' anti-swearing auto correct

pbasspecial

What's with all the 'flipping' anti swearing auto correct software on the new site?

I wrote F word and it came out as flip, D*ck became Richard.  Not sure if I think this is fun or just policing of grown adults where none is necessary. We are not snowflakes as far as I'm concerned. 

Reminds of the Harry Enfield 'Good Fellas' sketch.  Worth a Google .

Might be fun to see how many words have been adapted.

The previous version of the forum had the same anti-cuss filter, but would simply replace the offending expression with a series of '******'. It was decided that, with the new software version, it would be just as efficient (at not letting bad language pollute the forum...), but more 'fun', to replace the words with 'lighter' alternatives. It may not appeal to all, of course, and is irrelevant if one doesn't use such language on a family-friendly forum in the first place.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

...My tongue was planted firmly in cheek...

Ah. That's where I use the :| (dead-pan...) smiley. :|

3 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

Thanks Dad...

Here is a link to the Harry Enfield 'Bad Fellas' sketch. Enjoy...

R91KekF.gif

1 hour ago, pbasspecial said:

What's with all the 'flipping' anti swearing auto correct software on the new site?

I wrote F word and it came out as flip, D*ck became Richard.  Not sure if I think this is fun or just policing of grown adults where none is necessary. We are not snowflakes as far as I'm concerned. 

Did you fun my wife, cakesucker?

6 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

We are not snowflakes as far as I'm concerned. 

I remember being a bit disappointed with the filters when I first joined about 10 years ago, and there was a similar thread to this then.  Ped or Kiwi (I think) then made a post about why they had done it and how the site should be available to all, including those impressionable young budding beginners thinking about getting into bass and trying to get tips and help.

That made me realise straight away it was totally the totally correct way to be, although I'm sure I have pushed the boundaries of the filters when posting many times since then....

20 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

There was already a thread for that.

I think it is fine.  I liked the 'pink torpedo' substitution for the phallus because it reminded me of Spinal Tap's ode to the girlfriend's big botty bits.  It's fun to play with the filter whilst removing the vulgarity of swearing from the public parts of the forum.

12 hours ago, discreet said:

I called it the Sh!te Beetle. But then I call rabbit shyte 'tods', so I'm not quite sure where this leaves me.

'Tod' is the local (Derbyshire) pronunciation for t u r d.  The word 'bird', similarly, comes out as 'bod'.

This leave you looking like a true native of Derbyshire.  It is also tending towards tautism to use 'shyte' and 'tod' together.  Pleased to make your acquaintance duck.