Why become a member? ×

Bass advice needed please!

Saxondale

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a cheap first bass guitar and wondered if I could get some advice - including whether second-hand or new is the way to go. I have been playing guitar for years but wanted to add a good bass to my collection, although my budget is only around £200.

I've been looking on Gumtree and eBay using some of the advice I've seen on other threads on this forum, but nothing has jumped out as a particularly good deal so far.

So far I have looked at the Ibanez GSR200 and the SR300E. I would be mainly playing rock/metal, and may be using it for gigs etc eventually. Would these be solid options? Both are within my budget new. 

Any advice would be very much appreciated, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Thanks very much in advance!

Saxondale

I had a Vintage V900 which the neck is very similar to an Ibanez and I just couldn’t get on with so I got a P bass instead and it felt so much more comfortable to me 

But I’m sure you’ll have loads of other recommendations of other people 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Saxondale said:

I've been looking on Gumtree and eBay using some of the advice I've seen on other threads on this forum, but nothing has jumped out as a particularly good deal so far.

So far I have looked at the Ibanez GSR200 and the SR300E. I would be mainly playing rock/metal, and may be using it for gigs etc eventually. Would these be solid options? Both are within my budget new. 

Saxondale - you just cannot go far wrong with either of the Ibanez's at this price point. Great basses for the money. I'm sure you'll get loads of other great advice here, including Squier's etc.

It is actually not easy to buy a dud at any price nowadays...which great for first time buyers!

• Thanks 1

If you provide a rough idea of your location, offers may materialise from local forumites who are willing to help you (and, admittedly, themselves).

Ideally, there should the opportunity to view and play the instrument(s) that you are considering. There could even be scope for haggling yourself a good deal.

• Thanks 1

I suppose good rule of thumb is look at what bassists you like and what you want to sound like, then look at what basses they use, then look at trying to get similar.

If you are transitioning from guitar, you might even find it beneficial to look at anything with a thinner neck and/or a shorter scale.

• Thanks 1

Agree with the thoughts on trying out as many as possible in music shops, but also check out as many bands as possible to see which instruments you like the sound of in a live mix. Yes, many of those may be over budget, but if every time you see someone playing a Jazz bass you like the sound of it more than any others that`s also giving you a lead to which instruments to pay more attention to.

• Thanks 1

For rock and metal, you can`t go wrong with a SR300, the newer one with the powerspan pickups.

Ibanez are generally really well made, good sounding instruments. I have an SR750 and it`s a great bass but a good bit more than your current budget.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Saxondale said:

Thanks guys, that's very useful - I really appreciate it!

I'm based in the Midlands but haven't seen too much nearby on the usual places yet. I'll keep an eye on the Marketplace too, and consider Yahama basses as well.

PMT in Brum have a good range, might be worth a visit to narrow down the options a bit.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

there is a new thread elsewhere on this site about the new Sire Marcus Miller V3 - the 4 string is priced at £238. That would be a stunning first bass for any player.

Agree totally - very highly regarded basses.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Saxondale said:

Thank you very much everyone for the advice!

I have managed to source a second-hand SR300 :D

I'm looking forward to getting started with it.

Saxondale

NO!!! Not an SR300!!!  :o                 Joking!

As above, you'll struggle to find a bad bass these days. With computer-aided manufacture, the budget basses are all set up to make it all fool proof.

Look out for a Bass Bash. There are a few that happen up and down the country.  One near you is this one

At a Bass bash, folk take along their own basses and everyone gets to try each others gear.  There are a few guys who always go to the Midlands one, who make basses too. So it's well worth a visit.

Edited by Grangur
  • Thanks 1