Why become a member? ×

Where Do You Fit In?

Bluewine

It's a new year and many of us will be making all sorts of changes. That might include joining a new band. 

It's an old topic , but one we should revisit occasionally.

We hear all sorts of frustrating situations we end up in with bands on BC. I'm not sure we can avoid all band problems but we can certainly mitigate some of them.

Let's deal with a few bullet points;

Who Am I

Why Am I Looking ?

What am I looking for ?

If you can't answer those questions it might not be the right time to look.

This topic is wide open.

Let's talk about it.

Blue

IMG_20171227_065113.jpg

Edited by Bluewine

Who am I ?

Where are you at in life,

18 and single

Married with young children

65 plus years old with 50 years experience.

My first band

Live in the sticks with few band opportunities.

Live in a large metro area with plenty of opportunities.

There are more these are just few things we might think about.

Blue

I'll be turning 60 in 2018.

My enthusiasm and interest for playing music is as strong as ever but I'm determined to not waste any time. 

I've always been happy to play music of pretty much any genre with any type of musician, but I've had enough of time wasters. No gigs = goodbye

First off - can't believe you're over 60 @Bluewine - ageing well there mister! Interesting topic so here goes...

I've been playing for over 30 years - turned 54 in September. Still enjoying playing as much as I did when I first started, probably even more so now.

I'm currently in two bands at the moment, so not really looking. One has just started to establish itself this year, while the other (which has only gigged once in 2017) has had constant line up changes in the 12 months it's been together - the only two "permanent" members have been the drummer and myself. While the South East of England has a plethora of musicians, getting "the right people" can be a nightmare (as has been detailed many times over the years on BC in various threads). However, where that project is concerned, I'm prepared to give it some more time as I believe there is potential for it to turn into a really good band once the right people are in place.

I think if anyone on here is looking to join (or form) a new band this year, it's all about getting together with people who are:

• Good people to be around.
  • Good players (not necessarily "brilliant" but capable)
  • People who are willing to be part of a team.
  • Committed.

Hopefully I've managed to stay on topic...? :$

I was a late starter with bass, I'm almost 40 but have only been playing for only a few years.  I got the opportunity to join a local / casual band around 18 months ago and it's been fun experience with a few gigs along the way.

However, I'm in the situation now where i fear my ambition is outstretching my ability.  I get increasingly frustrated with the band's lack of commitment and playing time, they all have busy lives so I get it but I'd like to be rehearsing and gigging more regularly and maybe gigging more too.

I have 4 young kids so I can't invest the time to play in two bands but I'm very much considering quitting with the current guys and starting my own thing, playing the type of music I most enjoy!  The only thing that holds me back is a lack of confidence in my current playing standard..

37 minutes ago, CygnusX2112 said:

I was a late starter with bass, I'm almost 40 but have only been playing for only a few years.  I got the opportunity to join a local / casual band around 18 months ago and it's been fun experience with a few gigs along the way.

However, I'm in the situation now where i fear my ambition is outstretching my ability.  I get increasingly frustrated with the band's lack of commitment and playing time, they all have busy lives so I get it but I'd like to be rehearsing and gigging more regularly and maybe gigging more too.

I have 4 young kids so I can't invest the time to play in two bands but I'm very much considering quitting with the current guys and starting my own thing, playing the type of music I most enjoy!  The only thing that holds me back is a lack of confidence in my current playing standard..

With 4 young children I don't know how you can commit any time to a band.

Blue.

A few have mentioned "time wasters" Anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid them?

Unfortunately your going to keep a Keen eye on start up bands. It's where you find these guys that think anyone can just go out and start up a band. When they realize how hard it is they usually let everything fall apart.

That's just one thing to look out for there are others.

A lot of you guys won't like this, but I'm going to say it.

"We don't care about money"  That very noble fine and good. But in some instances if they don't care about money it might mean they don't care about a lot of other things that might be important to you .

Blue

46 minutes ago, CygnusX2112 said:

This is why I pointed out "where are you at in life"

Illness, young children, demanding traditional job. Is it realistic to even think about joining a band? If so, what kind?

Blue

I don’t care about money generally, I do care about having a good time. It may be alien to some people bit to me life is too short to play ‘keeping up with the Jones’s’. I have repeatedly refused promotion as I love what I do and it brings in enough for me to do the things I want to do and have the time to do them. It’s a high pressure job and the band is a group of lads (35-45) who work hard, rehearse hard and play, well medium these days. 15 months ago I had just started playing, now we have two setlists covering 40 songs and paying gigs booked. Happy days!

Time wasters?  I can spot them at a first rehearsal or jam. They can be late, ill prepared, egotistical, too loud, argumentative, have no transport, no spares for instrument, a noodler, have no sense of humor or people skills, arrogant, drunk or stoned. Avoid people with any of the mentioned traits and you wont go far wrong.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I don’t care about money generally, I do care about having a good time. 

Having a good time and having fun is a requirement in my band. It's really a given, why would you do this if you were having fun?

My point was, and especially for newbies, watch out for the "we don't care about money" thing. It's not always a good attribute.

Blue

18 minutes ago, mikel said:

Time wasters?  I can spot them at a first rehearsal or jam. They can be late, ill prepared, egotistical, too loud, argumentative, have no transport, no spares for instrument, a noodler, have no sense of humor or people skills, arrogant, drunk or stoned. Avoid people with any of the mentioned traits and you wont go far wrong.

Bravo!

I think you hit every "red flag" for identifying "time wasters".

Blue

3 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Having a good time and having fun is a requirement in my band. It's really a given, why would you do this if you were having fun?

My point was, and especially for newbies, watch out for the "we don't care about money" thing. It's not always a good attribute.

Blue

Your position is different from a lot (most?) on here and if I were is your shoes then it would 100% be the case, for me it’s a wind down after work. I am lucky to play with three mates from work. After ten hours at work you would think the last thing any of us would want is a 2-3hr rehearsal but I find I go home feeling refreshed and positive. I am lucky to have fallen in with three great guys, our lead singer/ guitarist is superbly talented, the drummer is genuinely superb and the rhythm guitarist, whilst not the most organised or prepared, is a F’ing animal on stage. I just love it and wish I had got off my backside and done it properly thirty years when I first tried (for two weeks). But better late than never. And for me, hearing the experiences of professionals such as yourself Blue is always helpful and fascinating.

45 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

This is why I pointed out "where are you at in life"

Illness, young children, demanding traditional job. Is it realistic to even think about joining a band? If so, what kind?

Blue

I do some times wonder if perhaps the best thing for me to do would be to focus on learning more of the basics around bass line creation and improvisation and waiting for the kids to get a bit older, then re-do the band thing when I have more time to focus on it.  

I`ve no intention of any changes re my band, I only hope that 2018 brings the same (or more) enjoyment as 2013 - 2017 have. A few European Festivals already booked, so that`s something new to look forward to, along with another slot at The Rebellion Festival in Blackpool in August, so 2018 already shaping up to be a year of good fun.

I'm in 2 bands ( a soul/jazz/blues band) and an Americana band. Recently rehearsed with a Jazzy singer I've met at Open Mics. She'd advertised for musicians and 2 ex bandmates contacted her ( she did not know the connection) and we all got together. It went fine but I decided I did not want to go 'backwards'  and join them, as I knew these 2 bandmates had just sacked their previous band a week before and in fact had defacto done the same to me a couple of years earlier( the singer went on holiday for a month in February and after he came back we 'mysteriously' stopped rehearsing).

So my decision for joining another band is that it must play the music exactly that i'm in to currently, which at this moment is Jason Isbell.  So it might never happen but at least i won't get dragged into something I'll just get bored/frustrated by....

2 hours ago, CygnusX2112 said:

I do some times wonder if perhaps the best thing for me to do would be to focus on learning more of the basics around bass line creation and improvisation and waiting for the kids to get a bit older, then re-do the band thing when I have more time to focus on it.  

That's realistic.

If  I wasn't retired the band thing would be extremely difficult for me.

Again it's knowing where your at in life.

I'm not going to chase an opportunity for a 23 year old at 65.

Blue

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

ISo my decision for joining another band is that it must play the music exactly that i'm in to currently, which at this moment is Jason Isbell.  So it might never happen but at least i won't get dragged into something I'll just get bored/frustrated by....

I've learned the hard way. For me, I must play with good people.

Would you play Jason Isbell with a bunch of morons,? Probably not.

Blue

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I`ve no intention of any changes re my band, I only hope that 2018 brings the same (or more) enjoyment as 2013 - 2017 have. A few European Festivals already booked, so that`s something new to look forward to, along with another slot at The Rebellion Festival in Blackpool in August, so 2018 already shaping up to be a year of good fun.

Nice!

Blue

Well 2018 starts with no band.

i’ll be glad of the time as we have more pressing family issues at hand and the bouncing home from work to go straight back out and play for 3 hours, getting home late and then up with the kids or for work early the next day was really playing on my mind.

It’s looking unlikely I’ll get anything done after April so need to get some demos done before then and pass on to some guys I can trust to add their parts.

I’m 33, and feel like a grown up...not old, just feel like I’m an adult. First time I’ve been able to say that. Scary - I’ve always thought I was 19 years old in my head, but when I think of a 19 year old now It feels alien to me. So I’ll stick to my actual age.

I don’t worry about not gigging, I do worry about not spending enough time at home...What do I want? I want to still make music, I do want to play music...via which medium, no clue. I don’t want one Radio 6 album of the week 2010 to be my only legacy...

I do plan to embark upon a series of Charity events for Shine (Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus) and the NICU at St Mary’s in Manchester - Hopefully i’ll Have chance before 2018 is out to set about planning these events. But we’ll see - lots to do between points A and B.

I want to live healthier, smoking has been gone for a year, drinking has been on a huge decrease for the last six months. 

I’m married to a wonderful woman, I have a great family. I’m very lucky.

No band...so I might be less stressed this year 😂😂😂

Edited by AndyTravis