Why become a member? ×

Best 5 String Flatwounds

Burns-bass

Hi all, I have just received a lovely 5 string Marcus Miller fretless Sire, which is very nice.

I want to replace the strings with a decent set of flats. Traditionally I’ve always used Rotosounds on my vintage Fenders, but I’m not sure how great their 5 string flats are.

I play jazz, R&B, funk etc so I want something hardwearing and not too bright. I don’t mind a higher tension string as I play DB (primarily at the moment, it seems). Happy to spend what it costs (just re-string two DBs so anything under £150 is fine!)

Happy to receive any recommendations from 5 stringers out there

A good set of flats will be in prime condition for years. They will be a big outlay on day one but from the second year onwards they will be way cheaper than using any sets of rounds.

My only experience of flats since 1970 was a set of GHS Precision flats for my Mike Lull PJ5 which were replaced, after about 4 years, by a set of TI flats. They didn't need to be replaced but a set of TI's came up at  a good price and I just fancied a change.

IMO GHS are very good and not much money. TI flats are very, very good and a lot more money. If I was looking for another set of flats I'd get either of these again but my flat out preference is for another set of TI's.

GHS Precision Flats are very nice: good tension (i.e. not too high but not too floppy) and smooth to the touch (I find some flats feel a bit rough).

La Bella steel flats are available in lots of gauges and are always a good choice, but don't forget their nylon strings too.  They come in four different types (black = darkest, white = brightest) and they are super smooth and a really nice tension.  The standard gauge set sound huge, but they are very pliable.

1 minute ago, Burns-bass said:

That’s great. I was thinking LaBella, but the Sire is string through body which they suggest doesn’t suit these strings as the bridge angle is too extreme. Hmm.

You can get through-body La Bella steel flats, but their nylons have a softer core and are fine for through-body stringing.

Edited by walbassist

In this case,  the Thomastik Infeld (TI) JF365 set will do the job perfectly. They are expensive, that's true but you won't find anything better than these flats even the LaBella Nylons being black, white, gold, standard or with copper... 

On 25 December 2017 at 16:59, MOSCOWBASS said:

La bella low tension flats would be choice excellent low B, nothing else comes close its the only low B that sounds like the rest of the strings for me😁

+1 for La Bella Low Tension Flats. The other advantage is that the gauges are similar to most round wounds so no filing out the nut if the guitar was designed for rounds.

I’ve tried most flats at this point, and I personally prefer a brighter flat so quite like the Ernie Ball flats, their Cobalt flats, D’Addario Chromes and Fender flats.

The TI Jazz flats are lower tension, feel lovely and are what gives the Pino P its sound IMO.

If you prefer darker flats, the Pyramid Golds are also worth a look.