Why become a member? ×

Bluetooth Speaker

andyonbass

My daughter has commandeered my Bose Bluetooth Speaker and it now resides in her accommodation at Uni. I didn't use it that often but I do miss it occasionally. I notice there are loads of cheap alternatives on amazon and suchlike, and I am wondering if anyone could recommend something of similar sound quality without the inflated price tag. Purely for listening to music, no desire to try and counter any latency issues by playing bass through it.....the cheaper the better!!

I bought a Sony (XB20 I think) one from Argos, I think off their Ebay sales, about £55/60, its okay, I don't know much about bluetooth speakers so started off with this cheepie. Cases are available online but they won't hold the larger mains plug so I used an Apple usb wall plug.

Edited by mybass
  • Thanks 1

Assuming you don't need anything portable, have you considered buying a soundbar for your TV and using that as a Bluetooth speaker for whichever devices you choose to pair with it? What HiFi rates this JVC unit quite highly (4 stars out of 5) and it's currently on offer at Currys https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/jvc-th-w513b-2-0-sound-bar-10140966-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=aatalaqml&istBid=t&awc=1599_1513773118_61619588fdbf72c8d2b3eba1b3f2279c&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whathifi.com%2F~Editorial Content~278137&awid=278137

I've got a budget soundbar that I've paired with my Echo Plus (I'm using the optical input for my TV and there's also a spare 3.5mm input too).

26 minutes ago, andyonbass said:

Looks the biz but probably a bit more than I wanted to pay, given the amount of use it'll be getting...

Ah yes sorry I didn't notice that - I'm sure you can find it elsewhere for a similar price, or maybe find one on eBay or keep an eye on Gear4Music, maybe they'll get more in stock.

• Thanks 1

I have a little Kitsound Hive (not the Hive 2) and it punches well above its weight if you have it on the right sort of surface (has a bottom firing passive radiator that makes a BIG difference to the bass content). Cost me £35 in Sainsbury's sale a couple of years back and it can be had cheaper now (as can the v2 which I haven't heard).

Well worth a look in my opinion.

3 hours ago, HowieBass said:

Assuming you don't need anything portable, have you considered buying a soundbar for your TV and using that as a Bluetooth speaker for whichever devices you choose to pair with it?

Never realised you could do that! I shall investigate further, thanks!

6 minutes ago, andyonbass said:

Never realised you could do that! I shall investigate further, thanks!

That's a good point. I have a little hifi with two separate speakers in my office which is Bluetooth, though I normally use aux. Fairly cheap from Currys. 

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I know this is probably a stupid question but if you don't need portability why do you need bluetooth? Just plug your device in to your Hi Fi or whatever with a lead

It's handy not to have to be 'tethered'; as an example, I stream music from my Windows laptop over WiFi to my Neet Airstream that's plugged into my stereo system (doing that right now with the laptop on my knee as I type this).

Not specifically a Bluetooth speaker, but the Cambridge Audio Minx is well reviewed and sounds good with a decent low end for its size. I have one - use it with the laptop, phone and other things. Can be powered off the mains adaptor or the internal battery.

• Thanks 1