Why become a member? ×

Albums / Artists that you rediscovered in 2017

darkandrew

Following on from another thread about your best new album of 2017 - I would like to ask you which old albums or artists you rediscovered in 2017. You know the one; the CD that you bought in your teens, became embarrassed about or simply forgot about in your 20s / 30s, only to rediscover it later on and realise it's actually really pretty good.

To start you off, my rediscovery for 2017 was The Beloved's "Happiness" - bought it 20 something years ago - hadn't played it for at least 10 years and dug it out this year after hearing a track on the radio. I'd forgotten just what a wonderful pop album it was - I don't usually go for "happy" songs but I always make an exception for music of quality (see also Chic) and this is one of those exceptions. "Happiness" is full of catchy, uplifting pop songs that you can't help smiling to, from "Hello" the album opener to the incredibly sincere and hearfelt "Found" that closes the album. A real classic from the early 90s.

Edited by darkandrew

I seem to have tumbled through a late 70s / early 80s wormhole recently. My current playlist includes:

Boston - Don't Look Back - and I didn't realise just how much great bass playing there is on this album, courtesy of Tom Scholz

Gary Moore - Run For Cover & Victims Of The Future

Hughes / Thrall - Hughes Thrall

Zebra - Zebra

REM - Automatic for the People (found a cassette from my student days, which then chewed up before the end of first side. Bought it on CD immediately).

Max Q - (a one-album wonder from back in 1989 by Michael Hutchence, Ollie Olsen and some other guys)

The Hothouse Flowers - People (found myself singing "Don't Go" one day, and then found this album secondhand the next day, so snapped it up).

Rediscovered 'Here Comes Rhymin' Simon' by Paul Simon. My parents played it a lot when I was a kid. Had cause to play it again recently and found it an emotionally shattering experience, which was unexpected. Especially 'American Tune'. Wow.

Edited by discreet

Preston’s finest metallers Xentrix have just released their back catalogue (well most of it) via iTunes, Spotify and I think Amazon too. This fills me with joy as I own pretty much all of their discography already, but it was great to reacquaint with a favourite album or three this week!

I've been having a rabbit hole journey through Spotify this year to all the bands I listened to a little/not enough during my Uni days in the late 90s.

Dinosaur Jr, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Connells, The Breeders, Fastball.

And then other era-music I have been getting back into: Jethro Tull (Heavy Horses!), Dire Straits.

As for new (to me) bands that I ought to have listened to years ago or are newish: The Tragically Hip, Rheostatics (quite odd), Future Islands.

an old demo from one of my bands!

to explain my huge ego, there is a bit of a back story to give it context.  A few years back the band in question, doing covers,  recorded a demo, just to have something to send out to get gigs.  The demo itself wasn't the problem, but it brought to a head everything that we all hated in the archetypal lead guitarist (starts with a c, rhymes with shunt).  We'd been paying the engineer who recorded us to mix it, and it was in pretty good shape, but the guitarist spat his dummy out that we should have the good grace to wait for him to finish the mixes that he had been doing himself on Pro Tools and how dare we even suggest sending copies out before he was happy?  In one spectacularly satisfying weekend he went from thinking he was the big deal in two bands (my band shared the drummer and rhythm guitarist with another band that he was in) to finding that his services were no longer required, and specifically not because he wasn't an OK guitarist but because everybody thinks he's such a complete bellend.

So, the satisfaction of that aside, the whole demo has been reduced to a bad memory, and I never copied the tracks I'd been e-mailed to a CD or listened to it since then...

Until a couple of months ago I found some of the tracks sitting in the "Unknown Artist, Unknown Album" slush pile on my iTunes.  Turns out it was pretty good.  Well, two of the three songs are.

Can't stop listening to it