Why become a member? ×

Earplugs advice.

Japhet

Get some proper moulded ones and don't be put off by the up front cost(I use ACS pro, but they are not the only company). They are more comfortable and attenuate the volume level much more evenly than generic christmas tree plugs or foam ones, and you don't need to take them out to be able to hold a conversation with someone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Any advice on where to get them would be handy too.

Go on ACS or Minerva websites and type in your postcode. I went for Minerva as there was a location close to me, for ACS I would have had to travel a fair distance but that will obviously just be luck where you live.

Process was simple -appointment to have casts made, a gel like putty squeezed into the ear. Then a fitment one a couple of weeks later.

At the cheaper end of the market, I've used Docs pro-plugs in the past and used to swear by them but the last set I bought a couple of years ago were made of a much harder material that made them really uncomfortable so I returned them for a refund. 

But the last couple of years I've used the Apline MusicSafe Pro plugs, they come with 3 different filters that you can swap out to change the level of attenuation and you get a spare plug too just in case you lose one! They'e a little bit fiddly to fit as you have to use a special little plastic stick thing (included in the box) but they are very comfortable and do a cracking job. I use the mid level filters (I think they're the silver ones) and they are great for keeping everything under control with my occasionally noisy 5 piece band with drums, keys and guitar. 

I got my ACS from Boots. The bigger branches have in-store audiology clinics. It took two visits; one to have the moulds made, one to collect. 

The off-the-shelf kind may be almost as good in terms of functionality, but the custom made are so, so more comfortable.

Edited by Len_derby
Spilling

7 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

The off-the-shelf kind may be almost as good in terms of functionality, but the custom made are so, so more comfortable.

I've not had any experience of custom made ones but I can confirm that the Alpines have been very comfortable and never caused me any issues over the past couple of years :)

I've used the Elacin ones, another similar ones by a brand I forget, I've got custom moulded ACS ones... but the ones I use 99% of the times are the Flare Isolates. On paper they were not convincing to me but my guitarist liked them and decided to have a go. They work best for me, especially in very loud environments.

3 hours ago, Osiris said:

At the cheaper end of the market, I've used Docs pro-plugs in the past and used to swear by them but the last set I bought a couple of years ago were made of a much harder material that made them really uncomfortable so I returned them for a refund. 

But the last couple of years I've used the Apline MusicSafe Pro plugs, they come with 3 different filters that you can swap out to change the level of attenuation and you get a spare plug too just in case you lose one! They'e a little bit fiddly to fit as you have to use a special little plastic stick thing (included in the box) but they are very comfortable and do a cracking job. I use the mid level filters (I think they're the silver ones) and they are great for keeping everything under control with my occasionally noisy 5 piece band with drums, keys and guitar. 

These are tremendous. I had a set for a while and lost them, and bought a similarly priced set which are rubbish. So much so I went straight online to purchase these again. 

If you're a kind of person who never loses things then I'd certainly be inclined to get moulded ones but it's j st not feasible for me as I tend to lose them regularly. 20 quid well spent though

Edt: talking about the alpine ones. Very comfortable too

Edited by Elfrasho

Get custom moulded. Get them with a piece of string connecting them. That means they are round your neck so are instantly available and you will not lose them.

Hearing damage is cumulative. Do not wait any more.

If you have wandered into thia thread by accident and do not have earplugs do yourself a favour and just get some. Now is the time, not when it is too late.  

4 hours ago, owen said:

Get custom moulded. Get them with a piece of string connecting them. That means they are round your neck so are instantly available and you will not lose them.

Hearing damage is cumulative. Do not wait any more.

If you have wandered into thia thread by accident and do not have earplugs do yourself a favour and just get some. Now is the time, not when it is too late.  

This, largely.

I have 4 pairs of the ER20s that I keep lying in my car, in my gig bag etc. The only reason I dont have custom is because i'm a clumsy forgetful muppet who loses things - £200 earplugs would be too easy.