Why become a member? ×

Tell me about Sadowskys!

OutToPlayJazz

I've got a project just starting with guaranteed serious amounts of work for serious amounts of money. I've decided I need a serious jazz for this as well. Sadowsky's going to be the obvious choice - I love the Metro UV-70 in natural & also like the look of the RV-4 in black, both with maple boards.

I've already got the Sadowsky preamp pedal, so my other option is to get a new American Standard jazz with the lovely noiseless pickups, through-body stringing & glossed board for a lot less money.

So the questions... Do the Metros have glossed maple boards? Do they have through-body stringing? Are they really that much better than a carefully chosen and sought out Fender?

Rich.

I have a UV-70 5 string natural with maple board. I absolutely love it.

Before I ordered mine, I played a lot of basses looking for something that felt and sounded right. I was sceptical about the hype around Sadowskys and thought they were over-priced. I wasn't even looking for a jazz-style bass. Then I tried a 4 string UV-70 in the Bass Gallery and fell in love with it instantly. For me, it just had the right sound, neck feel, look etc.

I expected it to be a one-trick pony, but it's now my main gigging and recording bass. The pickup blend control gives a really wide range of tones - normally I would swing the control all the way to the back pickup for fingerstyle playing, but on the Sadowsky I find myself only moving it a little off centre to get a tight sound that's still quite meaty. I added the VTC option - basically a passive tone control after the active bass and treble knobs - it's very versatile. The sound is very consistent and clean, although it can growl if you set it up that way.

To answer your questions... not sure how glossy you mean when you say glossed. I think the Metros are more of a satin feel than glossy. Suits me - I don't really like sticky necks(?!) The Metros are not strung through the body.

I've played a fair number of recent Fenders, and never tried one that felt as nice as my Sadowsky. The necks always feel clumsy, the basses sound ordinary or often just bad. Maybe I needed to try more to find a good one, but didn't want to after the Metro.

I haven't played many old Jazzes. I sometimes think the Sad is a little bit polite, and wonder about getting an old battered Fender as a 'character' bass. But I don't think I would need character all the time - for general purpose gigging and recording, the Sadowsky is my workhorse.

It's going to be a personal thing - either the Sadowsky will grab you and then the extra dosh won't matter, or it won't and you'll be perfectly happy with a Fender. You should definitely try one before deciding - I think the Bass Gallery has one in at the moment.

One consideration is that if you can't find one you like in stock somewhere, the waiting period is 6 months plus. Will that fit in with your project?

Guys,

to my ears and hands the Sadowsky Jazz is the ultimate Jazz Bass - Simple as that !!

Guitar Guitar have a healthy stock of Metro Basses which are generally the equal of the USA Instruments in my experience.

It's not like Lakland where the skylines are a pale imitation of the USA made instruments

Mark

Hey!

i fully agree with everything Marcus and Phagor have said!

After listening to all the hype i put my faith in roger sadowsky and ordered my metro UV70 without even playing it! (i suppose i did have the advantage that marcus had already tried it and said it was a excellent bass) :) cheers mate!

i honestly could not be happier with it! the playability, the sound, the feel, the fit and finish etc are easily as good as my NYC!! so much so that my next bass is probably gonna be a one of the new metro PJ 5 strings! (jazz body PJ pickups released early next year)

i would recommend a trip to guitar guitar! they seem dedicated to really doing this sadowsky thing properly! and they're service is second to none in my experience! or you could pay me a visit in sunny yorkshire? i'd be happy to let you try mine out! :huh:

here's what guitar guitar have in at the moment

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars.asp?brandname=Sadowsky"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...ndname=Sadowsky[/url]

i think it would be worth making a day of it and trying all the sadowsky's they have! you wont find anywhere else with that much stock! in fact looking at that page is giving me GAS again!! lol

ooooh and as phagor mentioned the VTC is a must!! it really does make all the difference when your after those vintage style tones or if you just want to tame the high end a little! if you find a bass you want at guitar guitar that doesn't have the VTC they can fit one for you as they are a registered sadowsky service centre! good ey?

:huh:

Good luck mate! keep me updated on what you decide to do! :huh:

Hi Mike, I played a JO Lakland with through-body stringing on Sunday at Electro. Nice bass, but not as substantial feeling as the Fender. Wicked sound, though.

I think that being as the Metro doesn't have through-body stringing (a pre-requisite as far as I'm concerned, as I like the thicker sound you get!), I'm going to end up getting a Fender. I'll ask Dave to order two in, same as he did with my 08 Precision so I can choose the best one :)

So the final spec I think will be Fender 08 Am.Std Jazz in 3TS with maple board, running on DR fat beams (40-100) through my Sadowsky pre. That'll sound pretty awesome :huh:

Rich.

I'd always pick a Sadowsky/Lakland over a Fender if I had money to burn.

Fender's low to mid price stuff is great value, but their high end stuff doesn't feel much different to me. The nicest Fenders I've played recently have been Squier VMJs!

Edited by rjb

To me the through body stringing never made a huge difference and probably only ever made up for the poor fender parts and construction etc! get all the elements right (sadowsky) and there's no need for through body at all!

just my opinion! but that doesn't make me right!

If your happy with a Fender then thats all that matters!

:)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='326553' date='Nov 11 2008, 10:13 AM']Hey Chris, I was wondering when you'd show up :)

I think I'm going to have to try the Metros at GG in Newcastle to see if I like them, really.[/quote]

Hey

I can't say that they're for everyone as we're all so different!

definitely worth a try though :huh:

I have owned loads of jazz basses and quite a few Sadowskys.

My opinions are as follows.

I have only ever played two Fenders that were as good as any Sadowsky (Metro or NYC) that I have played. One was my 65 jazz and the other was a Ltd edition custom shop model which Marcus and Flanker (obviously) also owned. The action on that thing was obscene.
You can buy a Sadowsky (Metro or NYC) unseen and know that the quality will be superb.
Unless I was flush I would buy a Metro over a NYC as they are 'nearly' as good. The NYC's have a little something extra but I don't think its worth the extra money unless you can afford it. Although saying that Flanker doesn't particularly like Sadowskys and has had NYC ones but he did really like one of the NYC models that I had.
There are plenty of other high end jazzes that are equally as good as Sadowskys. I won't say better or worse as once you get to a certain level its all down to tone and personal opinion(s). I really liked the Celinders that I have played and I currently have a USA Lakland JO4 that is probably the nicest jazz that I have ever played (for me). Mark at bass direct has a natural Nordy VJ4 that stole the show at Music Live. Literally everyone wanted to play it and buy it.
I guess GB's aren't jazz like enough for you but I would get one regardless :-)

If I was in your situation I think I would buy a Celinder if I could get hold of one. Failing that I would get a US Lakland JO. That is no critiscism of Sadowskys just my tastes after trying them all. I would certainly pay the extra to get a metro over a US Fender any day of the week.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Thanks Steve - That's very interesting. It's good to hear as many opinions on jazzes as you can, because anything non-Status isn't my area & there are so many jazzes around!

The Fender Am.Std is basically my fall-back position for if I don't find anything I like, but I really will get out in the next couple of months and try loads of jazzes. I guess the true extent of the mission is to find the jazz-bass equivalent of my Status S2's! I actually played a couple of the Sandbergs the other day & found the JM Cali a little thin for my tastes, but the Panther 5 with the angled soapbars was excellent. But these sounded too close to what I already had. Excellent bass though. I'll plan a day to Geordie Land and see what I can see :) May even come back with a Sadowsky!

Thanks, guys!

Rich.

I wouldn't worry about stringing through body, if there's one thing my RV4 doesn't lack it's a fat sound. A Sadowsky is the sum of the parts, not just a nice sound, you can see every aspect of it has been examined and refined. It's lots and lots of little things which make the Sadosky's so good. I don't think you'll get the same experience running a stock Fender through a Sadowsky preamp.

Rich, I'm another one for not worrying about thru body. My G&L and Std US - I've had strung both ways and really can't tell any difference. To be honest, the only reason I go thru on the G&L de rigour is to put less stress on the bridge screws. And FWIW the MM Ray has a thicker sound than either if dialled in :)

PS....if I had the cash I'd go Sad. The only reason I don't have one is because I'd have to sell all mine to buy one.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Marcus' post='326464' date='Nov 11 2008, 07:32 AM']to my ears and hands the Sadowsky Jazz is the ultimate Jazz Bass - Simple as that !![/quote]

I'd have to agree with Mark.

I've got Gwilym's old Tokyo 5, as soon as I got it, sent it to my tech, he did the "all-pulled-apart-clean-fix-back-together-and-setup" on it,
He was very impressed with the overall quality of the bass.

As for me, Its clearly the best feeling neck (specially since its a 5'r) plays like a 4 str. the sound is huge, defined, tight low end, lots of Jazz bass Growl, you name it, it's got it.

I had to sell off 3 of my basses to get my grubby hands on it, but it's kept me gas-free since then... I wont say I'll never get the gas back, but plenty of nice oportunities have crossed my path and I havent even blinked.

Obviously, this is a very personal opinion, and highly dependant on personal taste.

As for using your Sadowsky pre...

I've done it, with a Fender Mim classic 60's which was a great bass. Yes, the sadowsky preamp makes passive instruments sound the mutts...
But no, it's not the same thing.
besides... sounds like you've already got your mind set on the sadowsky tone anyway... why not go for it?

Hi Mike, well that thought has crossed my mind & I have played the review model in flamed maple at the factory. They're really nice basses as well. Thing is I really need a wooden neck for this job. It really is the Sadowsky sound I'm after, I'm thinking. Although I did play a Sandberg Panther V at Electro last week & that was fantastic as well!

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='329565' date='Nov 15 2008, 10:15 AM']Hi Mike, well that thought has crossed my mind & I have played the review model in flamed maple at the factory. They're really nice basses as well. Thing is I really need a wooden neck for this job. It really is the Sadowsky sound I'm after, I'm thinking. Although I did play a Sandberg Panther V at Electro last week & that was fantastic as well!

Rich.[/quote]

How about searching out a T-Bass with a wooden neck then. You're more than welcome to try mine out if you're down south at all, I'm sure Rob would do one with a wooden neck if you wanted one. Not putting the Sadowsky's down, excellent basses but considering your rapport with Mr Green, I would have thought a T-Bass would keep things simple and 'in-house' so to speak.

Mike

[quote name='Josh' post='330260' date='Nov 16 2008, 08:28 PM']Rich, get one.

And smile![/quote]

+1

I'd love to be a one bass guy but this site keeps tempting me that there might be something better out there...
I'm playing my Sadwsky Metro RV4 all the time just now. It's such a nice quality feeling bass. I did have a P Bass phase for a year or so but the Sadowsky can just about do anything I need from a bass at the moment. It sounds good on its own and my band prefer how it sounds in the mix compared to my Precision.
I'm still not 100% in love with the thing as it has a much narrower neck than my 57 reissue P bass and it feels weird to me to switch back and forth between the two, but most people would find the Sadowsky neck more comfortable I would think. Especially if you're more used to J bass neck dimensions.
My plan now is to stick with the Sadowsky and do everything with it.

Good luck with whatever you get.
Neil.