Why become a member? ×

2018 Gibson Basses (Thunderbird content).

NancyJohnson

Well, despite Gibson's website still maintaining that there are no basses for 2018, Sweetwater in the US are now advertising the model below for $2K. (They're listing the retail as £3.3K.)

Now, I'm not taking any credit here, but I did have some lengthy email exchanges with Thomann about a year ago to see whether they could persuade Gibson to do a Thomann run in cardinal red or sapphire blue...anything other than ebony, sunburst or the rarely available ivory. Who knows. Maybe something lodged in Gibson's psyche.

There is an ebony model, but no photos (yet).
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

Expected 2018 models, was posted on Last Bass Outpost.....

[url=http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=10677.0]Topic: 2018 Gibson basses. New basses, new topic :)[/url]

Gibson Limited Run Guitars:
Theme: 100th Anniversary of Orville Gibson’s Heritage
100 Limited Runs released through the year
Limited Runs announced per quarter
Exclusive features:
Modern-Retro “Gibson” headstock logo
“Only a Gibson is Good Enough” decal on the back of the headstock

EB Bass 5 String 2018 Satin Trans Black

EB Bass 5 String 2018 Satin Trans Black Left Hand

EB Bass 5 String 2018 Natural Satin Left Hand

EB Bass 4 String 2018 Satin Trans Black

EB Bass 4 String 2018 Satin Trans Black Left Hand

EB Bass 4 String 2018 Natural Satin Left Hand

EB Bass 4 String 2018 Natural Satin

Thunderbird 4 String 2018 Bright Cherry

Thunderbird 4 String 2018 Ebony

Thunderbird 4 String 2018 Bright Cherry Left Hand

Thunderbird 4 String 2018 Ebony Left Hand

Thunderbird 4 String 2018 Vintage Sunburst Left Hand

Thunderbird 4 String 2018 Vintage Sunburst

RD Artist Bass 2018 Antique Natural

RD Artist Bass 2018 Ebony

SG Standard Bass 2018 Ebony

SG Standard Bass 2018 Heritage Cherry

SG Standard Bass 2018 Ebony Left Hand

SG Standard Bass 2018 Heritage Cherry Left Hand

SG Standard Bass 2018 Walnut Left Hand

SG Standard Bass 2018 Walnut

Edited by clivem

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1509322349' post='3398121']
They appear to have lost the, ahem, improvements from the 2015 model. That looks great to me.
[/quote]

Kept the Babicz Full Contact but dumped the EB pups and went back to the TB+.......

As well as the cherry T-Bird, Sweetwater already have the Trans black EB 5 in stock....

[url=https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BAEB5H18BXBC]Gibson EB Bass 5 String 2018 - Satin Trans Black[/url]

and the SG's in cherry and walnut...

[url=https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BASGH18HCCH]Gibson SG Standard Bass 2018 - Heritage Cherry[/url]
[url=https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BASGH18WNCH]Gibson SG Standard Bass 2018 - Walnut[/url]

Edited by clivem

Maybe the EB was waiting for the right finish, looks a lot better in the black compared to the natural or sunburst.

Also, if the RD they're planning on releasing is really an Artist (ie. with active electronics and Moog compression/expansion/bright shenanigans) instead of a funny shaped T-Bird with TB+ pickups then I'll be pleasantly surprised!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1509374835' post='3398409']
Also, if the RD they're planning on releasing is really an Artist (ie. with active electronics and Moog compression/expansion/bright shenanigans) instead of a funny shaped T-Bird with TB+ pickups then I'll be pleasantly surprised!
[/quote]

+1 - from what I've read, it sounds like it was an ambitious design that was let down by unreliable electronics. Now that the technology's more commonplace, I'd have thought they could make a better fist of it.

The 2018 RD Artist guitar is a stunner.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/RD-Artist.aspx

Doesn't see to be anything too special about the electrics though.

I'm not sure if there's any point in releasing a bass version if doesn't at least try to emulate the original Moog circuitry.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1509375935' post='3398424']
The 2018 RD Artist guitar is a stunner.

[url="http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/RD-Artist.aspx"]http://www.gibson.co.../RD-Artist.aspx[/url]

Doesn't see to be anything too special about the electrics though.

I'm not sure if there's any point in releasing a bass version if doesn't at least try to emulate the original Moog circuitry.
[/quote]

Why does the RD have the 120th Anniversary inlay? None of the other models on the 2018 catalogue seem to have it.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1509377014' post='3398429']

Why does the RD have the 120th Anniversary inlay? None of the other models on the 2018 catalogue seem to have it.
[/quote]

Just a guess but I think the Artist guitar might be a full on production model, whereas all the other 2018 stuff that's been pictured so far is scheduled for limited runs and are part of a different series?

I'm not keen on those kinds of anniversary or signature inlays, but maybe collectors like them?

Edited by Cato

If you flip the right hand side of the strap over the front of the bass instead of behind it, not only does it cure the neck dive 100%, it also stops the fretboard tilting away from you. I have never had a bass feel more comfy on a strap than a T-Bird with this little trick, give it a try sometime if you haven't!

I have a T- bird, no neck dive whatsoever, I hate neck dive with a passion and read about the alledged T-bird issues but then saw a thread on here with several pics showing no issues so bought one. I wouldn't swap it now. I am glad they are doing some different finishes and hope the 2018 range has some completely new stuff as well.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509384491' post='3398513']
Looks like a thunderbird, in red, it will still have neck dive no doubt, move along. :)
[/quote]

Has no one ever tried a bit of toweling stuck to the back of the bass combined with a pair of velcro trousers?

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1509388109' post='3398553']
Has no one ever tried a bit of toweling stuck to the back of the bass combined with a pair of velcro trousers?
[/quote]

If I put the towelling towards the bridge end of the bass, I kill two birds with one stone, as my trousers also no longer fall down.