Why become a member? ×

So I gave a band member both barrels..............

police squad

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1506601142' post='3379843']
And even when they do, it's still bloody wrong. I'm convinced people have just got cloth ears, 'musicians' worst of all!

Edit: I think what is needed is a band consisting entirely of bass players. Bass players who are prepared to sing, play drums, keyboards, brass and guitars. Now that would be some band. :)
[/quote]

Every member of Dagobah also plays bass in another band.
We're quite happy - but really badly organised sadly.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1506693036' post='3380480']
or you could ask if anything came of that date, as i didn't write anything down, because its not my job to, regarding an enquiry and i have something else come up if we arent doing it?

I would expect any sensible person to at least pencil something in on a date that has been enquired about.
[/quote]

Hopefully I can say without upsetting the OP. "We all make mistakes, butI would expect any sensible person to update the band diary when the date is confirmed".

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1506697436' post='3380520']
Hopefully I can say without upsetting the OP. "We all make mistakes, butI would expect any sensible person to update the band diary when the date is confirmed".
[/quote]

The rest of the band knew about this gig even though it wasnt on the calendar. The OP has also said the drummer is not very good at keeping tabs on things.

I can see it was a genuine mistake on both parts, but the drummer decided to walk and i think that was the best result. Ive been in the OP's shoes where you try and keep it all going, only to have band members causing more issues for the gig booker, and if you are doing this as a side line then sometimes it just comes to a head and something needs doing about it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1506585309' post='3379663']

What level of IT ability is required for a drummer to operate this?
[/quote]
I see where you're going with this, and Paul would be disappointed in you!

It still relies on IT-illiterates letting the band leader know when they're not available, (wheresthegig calls this setting blackouts). They'll also need to be able to read emails. The application sends out updates to all the players at a gig when an update is made, so you can cope with deps and use it if you're in more than one band.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1506693036' post='3380480']

I would expect any sensible person to at least pencil something in on a date that has been enquired about.
[/quote]

That mostly works: where we've come unstuck is when we've given a lot of dates to a venue, and not heard anything back from them. You end up holding a lot of dates sometimes.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1506610674' post='3379935']

Exactly my thoughts.
[/quote]

I just can't believe someone would leave a band over a few words written in an email. Couple that with not chasing up whether a proposed gig was finalised just leads me to think they're not that bothered about being in that band.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1506704266' post='3380584']
That mostly works: where we've come unstuck is when we've given a lot of dates to a venue, and not heard anything back from them. You end up holding a lot of dates sometimes.
[/quote]

You do, but the venue also knows that "these are the dates *right now*" and if something else comes up after a few days not hearing back then we update them "this date is no longer available". It works. No system is foolproof, but if you're all reasonable it works fine. And if someone is not reasonable... why is that person in the band? ;)

If he confirmed then he confirmed ...the last band I was in I had to confirm via text/email/& FB with different members & one would take a week to get back to me ..I had enough when the drummer claimed he had been doubled booked (funny as He didn't have a agent or PA) & found out He'd been offered a better paid gig by £10. He then complained that I cancelled future gigs with him ....Why are some talented people so disorganised ..drives me nuts .

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1506720608' post='3380755']
Why are some talented people so disorganised ...drives me nuts .
[/quote]

Me too, but it's largely a stereotype - the wild, carefree artist who isn't bound by the conventions of society, man. :) The most successful musicians I know are very well organised, which is why they're successful. Not much happens if you don't get up in the morning and put your shoes on.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1506699411' post='3380536']
The rest of the band knew about this gig even though it wasnt on the calendar. The OP has also said the drummer is not very good at keeping tabs on things.
[/quote]

If you didn't have a band on-line diary then I'd totally agree with you. But as they did then surely the whole point is that that is what you work to. If it doesn't get put in the in the diary then it's not unreasonable to think it didn't come to anything.

If you don't like this idea than don't have an online diary, and everyone will maintain their own.

I can see it was a genuine mistake on both parts, but the drummer decided to walk and i think that was the best result.
[/quote]

I'd agree with that - the drummer obviously wasn't very committed anyway.

Ive been in the OP's shoes where you try and keep it all going, only to have band members causing more issues for the gig booker, and if you are doing this as a side line then sometimes it just comes to a head and something needs doing about it.
[/quote]

The OP took the gig but didn't put it in the band on-line diary, thus defeating the object of the on-line diary.

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1506728813' post='3380800']

The OP took the gig but didn't put it in the band on-line diary, thus defeating the object of the on-line diary.
[/quote]

As I keep saying,

The band doesn't have an 'on line diary'

It has a 'gigs' section on the website. This is for the public.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1506932165' post='3381995']
As I keep saying,

The band doesn't have an 'on line diary'

It has a 'gigs' section on the website. This is for the public.
[/quote]if your only list of gigs is the website and you forgot to put it on there it's not entirely the drummers fault I would say, but, I don't know what's gone of before

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1506940241' post='3382079']
if your only list of gigs is the website and you forgot to put it on there it's not entirely the drummers fault I would say, but, I don't know what's gone of before
[/quote]

Does he not have his own diary, like the rest of us? (I know he does, he told me that he is rubbish with his diary)

I repeat, we don't have an online diary that is shared between us. We all have our own diaries.

BUT, maybe we'll set one up for the future

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1506953913' post='3382244']
Does he not have his own diary, like the rest of us? (I know he does, he told me that he is rubbish with his diary)

I repeat, we don't have an online diary that is shared between us. We all have our own diaries.

BUT, maybe we'll set one up for the future
[/quote]

In that case I apologise for my mistake, I obviously got the wrong end of the stick somewhere along the line. An online gigs listing is not quite the same, although I can still see why the drummer might have got the idea that it wasn't on. However it could have been a private gig that wouldn't make it to the Public gig listing anyway. Sounds like he wasn't too comitted anyway.

I do empathise with the OP to a great degree here.

But unfortunately as people we are all different and over the years I have been astonished to learn that certain other members of bands I've been in need a "belt and braces" approach - with constant reminders to keep them mindful of the gig calendar.

I've been in too many situations where people let themselves get double-booked and then some poor sod has to deliver the bad news to the venue; potentially tarnishing the band's reputation.

So not only do I put gigs on the band's website, but all band members regularly communicate in a WhatsApp group - and I also regularly update and print out a hard copy of our gig calendar and rehearsal schedule and give a copy to each band member.

Yes- that is OCD and in an ideal world shouldn't be necessary, but sadly; bitter experience has told me that it is necessary.