Why become a member? ×

Going 5 string!

lowdowner

Finally I'm going to get a 5 string after years of 4-stringedness!

For any players who have made the change, any advice on how to get the most from the extra string? I want to think of it as a new instrument in a way and not just 'a 4 string with an extra low string tagged on' - any hints or tips to make the most of the new opportunities?

I would say leave any 4 stringers in the case and just use the 5er. That is what I did, then whatever I had played on a 4 string I moved up 5 frets, almost like there was a capo. That was how I got my head around using the centre of the neck - and then it just kind of followed from that. Then again I tend to use 'shapes' and no theory so it may not work for everyone.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1506022681' post='3376003']
I would say leave any 4 stringers in the case and just use the 5er. That is what I did, then whatever I had played on a 4 string I moved up 5 frets, almost like there was a capo. That was how I got my head around using the centre of the neck - and then it just kind of followed from that. Then again I tend to use 'shapes' and no theory so it may not work for everyone.
[/quote]

great advice - problem is, my 4 string is a *beaut* of a bass and I love her *very* much :)

The reason you should be getting a 5 string is for the extended low range and for the easier reach of notes when grooving (saves moving your hand about so often).
It's just some extra notes, not a completely different instrument. But it is a lovely bass. B)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1506026148' post='3376039']
The reason you should be getting a 5 string is for the extended low range and for the easier reach of notes when grooving (saves moving your hand about so often).
It's just some extra notes, not a completely different instrument. But it is a lovely bass. B)
[/quote]

Basses are my only weakness! (well, and decent white burgundy, but that's genetic!)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1506019617' post='3375987']
Finally I'm going to get a 5 string after years of 4-stringedness!

For any players who have made the change, any advice on how to get the most from the extra string? I want to think of it as a new instrument in a way and not just 'a 4 string with an extra low string tagged on' - any hints or tips to make the most of the new opportunities?
[/quote]

Instead of playing the open E, try to get used to playing it on the B string at the fifth fret. Everything else should follow in due course and you'll find new neck positions for stuff you already know. You can cut down on your neck travel when you're used to it.

My personal approach years ago was to think of it exactly as a 4 string with more range not a new instrument that had to be conquered. (We all have different ways of approaching things)

I sold and put away all 4 strings and only played the 5. I didn't go out of my way to use the B string all the time, it wasn't necessary, but I quickly learned that I didn't have to go down to the first few frets on the E string and could play across the neck.

It came in incredibly useful for me in a soul band where we used to move keys around. I could stay low where we shifted down keys and a prime example was playing Superstition in Eb without any bother.

So put the 4 away, just practice your normal sets with the 5 and just put a little thought into where the low notes would be useful and where you could go down a string instead of down the neck.

Good luck!

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1506061797' post='3376132']

So put the 4 away, just practice your normal sets with the 5 and just put a little thought into where the low notes would be useful and where you could go down a string instead of down the neck.

Good luck!
[/quote]

I did this quite recently too. I found I had to get new muscle memory in my fingers as I found I was using the B string as the E to start off with, but it slowly comes along and then you start to naturally utilise the B string in scale patterns. My issue is that my lovely (and aesthetically more pleasing) 4 strings now get no use. I've recently sold two as a result.

Good luck

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1506068623' post='3376185']
My issue is that my lovely (and aesthetically more pleasing) 4 strings now get no use. I've recently sold two as a result.
[/quote]

Indeed this is the one drawback I have for using 5ers. I sold off a few of my four stringers and am now down to just 2 fantastic Squier JV Precisions (one is exceptional) and an awesome Yamaha SB-35. They don't get used, which is such as shame as I would take the tone of any of those over any of my 5ers any day. But maybe one day I won't need the 5ers any more so I will not be parting with them.

So a 5 string offers you a few notes below the E, that's one (relatively insignificant) aspect of what it does.

Much more important is the fact that it means you can [b]play more notes in a single position.[/b]

Do you know your 5 positions for the major scale? (https://www.cyberfretbass.com/scales/major/page4.php )Because what you want to do is learn them very solidly, as this is the area that the 5 string excels in. If you don't know them, PM me and we can skype or something :)

Basically, you want to move your hand much less when changing between keys, and very little when staying in the same key. This takes a bit of practice, but it'll get you mega comfortable anywhere on the neck. I would recommend working on the book 'Serious Electric Bass' by Joel Di Bartolo. There's a chapter in there on the 5 major scale positions, and lots of exercises.

You can play entire chord progressions in a single key without moving your hand, and once you get comfortable with these 5 positions [i]in every key[/i] you can practise moving between keys.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1506026943' post='3376046']
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Now put the 4's in their cases and focus on making the 5 work for you.
[/quote]
This. Play the 5 exclusively while you're getting to grips with it. Once you're happy with 5 to the extent that you're not having to think about it, get the 4s out again. You will find that, if you need to, swapping between 5 and 4 strings is quite easy.

I found the initial transition hard at first and frustrating but stuck with it. After a while it was a natural as playing a 4 and no additional thought process involved. I just "played it". It will come and as already said here the muscle memory will eventually kick in.

Once you get there you might find somewhere down the line you actually prefer a 4 and go back (like me) but......once you have the ability to use either or you can decide which is best for you and the playing situation at any given time.

After over 30 years of playing 4-strings; I bought a Spector ReBop 5 in 2015.

The experience has been a mixed success. In one respect I've found the extra string easier as for some songs I can move to the B string instead of going to the end of the fretboard on the E string.

But sadly its taken me 2 years to realise that I made a mistake in choosing the ReBop; as it only has 17mm string spacing at the bridge (very common among 5-strings) and adjusting to it has messed up my right-hand muscle memory. Much of this will be because im a lefty playing right-handed basses; so my right hand has always been the weakest; requiring a lot of work to keep up to speed.

The moral of this tale is that much as I love my ReBop; I'm now looking to replace it with a 5-string with 19mm string spacing. An Ibanez BTB is the current favourite.

Just something possibly worth considering when choosing a 5-string.