Why become a member? ×

Best Jazz for £900/£1000..???

bubinga5

[quote name='BassManKev' post='323673' date='Nov 6 2008, 07:14 PM']there are many different jazz's out there for £1000, just keep a sensible head and dont blow it on a fender :)[/quote]Whats up with Fender, i played an American Vintage 75 the other day and it was killer..

I have a Sadowsky 5, so im looking for a better 4 string Jazz to replace my Jazz 24..Sadowsky's IMHO dont have that old school growl a Jazz should have..

Im looking more and more at those Sandbergs!!

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='323720' date='Nov 6 2008, 08:41 PM']Whats up with Fender, i played an American Vintage 75 the other day and it was killer..

I have a Sadowsky 5, so im looking for a better 4 string Jazz to replace my Jazz 24..Sadowsky's IMHO dont have the growl a Jazz should have..[/quote]

Kev's just saying that Fenders can be a risk when your spending that much money on one and I agree with him, but there are great Fender Jazzes out there, there just few and far in between.

Hmm, I thought the NYC's lacked the real growl and the Metros did a damn good imitation? It seems as of late that Sadowsky's are not living up to their jazz growl reputation.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='323722' date='Nov 6 2008, 08:47 PM']Kev's just saying that Fenders can be a risk when your spending that much money on one and I agree with him, but there are great Fender Jazzes out there, there just few and far in between.

Hmm, I thought the NYC's lacked the real growl and the Metros did a damn good imitation? It seems as of late that Sadowsky's are not living up to their jazz growl reputation.[/quote]
Yeah i guess, what do you think it is that can make a bad Fender? Fit and Finish, Electronics??

Is it less likely to be a turkey if the bass is American made???

[quote name='bubinga5' post='323726' date='Nov 6 2008, 08:56 PM']Yeah i guess, what do you think it is that can make a bad Fender? Fit and Finish, Electronics??

Is it less likely to be a turkey if the bass is American made???[/quote]

All of those.

Not exactly, Lakland USA basses are highly sought after for the qaulity alone.

[quote name='simon1964' post='323799' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:34 PM']+1 on the Sandbergs. But if i was spendng that sort of money on a Jazz I would be on the phone to Jon Shuker about one of his stock J types here:

[url="http://www.shukerbass.co.uk/"]http://www.shukerbass.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

Hey, I tak eit the GB did not blow you away in the end?

I agree with what most have said above, and I must say that Mr Shuker has some awesome looking Jazz basses for sale and they are less than you are looking to spend. I just had a look in the for sale and would suggest any of the following:

Lakland DJ4 £700, couple this with and East preamp, or stay passive if thats your thing, either way a stonking bass and it looks great and they certainly do growl.

Fender Roscoe Beck 4 £700, AWESOME bass, I have a five string and it is extremely well built and has massive flexibility in sound, and mine certainly growls like a jazz. i can not reccomend these enough, well if its good enough for Roscoe Beck.....

Also it may not growl but if you liked teh GB there is a standard (pretty much a spitfire I think) on the forum for just under 1K.

The lakland JO is a great bass too and I slightly preferred it to the DJ, but that was just neck and body shape, nothing else. My experience of Sandberg is very positive as well, but definately check out the shuker site.

I too would recommend a Lakland DJ4. Buy one for £700 ish and put the rest of the cash away for Xmas!
After putting a J Retro in my Lakland DJ4 it has become my no. 1 bass. I was saving up for a Sadowsky NYC but I've now put that on hold because the DJ sounds so good.

[quote name='Rayman' post='324042' date='Nov 7 2008, 10:27 AM']Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones, IMO best value for money at that price. Going in a slightly different direction tone wise, I think the Marcus Miller jazz is right up there too.[/quote]

How could we forget that, the Marcus is a stonking piece of kit, really great bass and lovely sound. They also go for a very good price on ebay etc. Well worth a look and they outplay basses double the price.

Re Fenders. i don't think USA guaruntees quality. I know someone with a usa and its wicked but often they just don't have the real jazz vibe going on. I own an old Jap Jazz that was quite cheap considering its age and its awesome - I love it. I know a pro who's played Jazz's all his life and recently bought a Jap 75 reissue brand new and uses it for virtually everything. So .. don't leave out the Japanese Fenders if you check some out.

How was the GB?

[quote name='funkle' post='327731' date='Nov 12 2008, 04:19 PM']Lakland DJ4.

Great basses.

You're done![/quote]

What he said. I've tried 'em all and now I have two DJs, you really can't beat them with a stick in that price category. The Joe Osbourne model is just as good but a different vibe.