Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried one of these Compact P basses yet? 29" scale MIJ

Marc S

As per the title. I've only seen these very recently on ebay...
A 29" short scale P bass - They seem to be made in Japan. They look pretty good - perhaps not worth the price + import duty + postage?
Just wondered whether anyone has seen them for sale in the UK, or if anyone has bought one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-Bass-P-Bass-model-CPB-60s-NEW-Super-Short-Scale-W-GigBag-FREE-SHIPPING-/122638754885?hash=item1c8dd6e445:g:grkAAOSwaEhZE9Jo

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1504088641' post='3362554']
Interesting. If it doesn't say MIJ, I'd guess it's really Chinese made... not that that's necessarily bad.
[/quote]

Little gold sticker on the heel that you can't quite read looks a lot more like "China" than "Japan".

[url="https://postimg.org/image/yysth1x2d/"][/url]

So, very, very expensive, IMO - certainly compared to this:

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm"]https://www.thomann....scale_ebass.htm[/url]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1504088856' post='3362557']
... for £114 you can get a Squier Mustang, which is probably a better bet!
[/quote]
I didn't realise that Squier still did a Mustang, where can I get one of these for £114? I did a quick google but closest I could find was a Bronco for £167.

Apologies - I just assumed these were made in Japan, as there are several ads for them, in different colours, from different sellers...
but all the sellers are in Japan. I may have read that they were MIJ in one of the ads - or maybe I'm dreaming that (wouldn't be unusual for me lol)

Yes, I agree with Rumple - I too like the truss rod adjustment at the heel.... and I do like the look of that white one :)
I only spotted these for sale a few days back - don't know how long they've been available
And maybe they are made in Japan? Perhaps it's China - From a quality point of view though, as therealting says - that's not necessarily a bad thing, esp given the quality of the CV's and Matt Freeman's etc

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1504107107' post='3362731']
If I was after a shorty 4, I'd go straight to the Ibanez Talman. I often wonder about a headless conversion on one of these, for a super-compact travel bass.
[/quote]

+1 - I had one and it was really nice. At the price, they're an absolute steal. Shame that, as Mr Ford once famously said: "You can have any colour you like as long as it's black." Didn't stop me as I quite like black basses - but the antique white shown on the Ibanez website looked really cool (Thomann had one in for a while).

[quote name='LeftyP' timestamp='1504129341' post='3362936']
The advert does say "Made in China".
[/quote]

You're quite right LeftyP - I hadn't spotted that before
I wonder why they only seem to be available from Japan though?

Whenever I've bought ebay items from China - I've not paid import duty - perhaps because that's factored in to the final price?
Or more likely, I've mainly bought cheap goods that don't incur import charges.....
Still odd that there are quite a few of these on ebay - and they're all shipped from Japan.... hmmm

Back to my original question - anyone tried one of these yet? :)

EDIT: I see a "compact Jazz" is also available
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-Bass-Jazz-Bass-model-CJB-60s-NEW-super-short-scale-FREE-SHIPPING/122650278412?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45991%26meid%3D3f590afc93334c56918e08dd6b72f4a2%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122638754885&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1504170123' post='3363067']
Import duty might be the explanation for the high price: China>Japan>EU??
[/quote]

On the ebay ad, it says import duty is still chargeable on top of the price though....
Straight from China would be the better option, especially if import duty is being charged from China to Japan, and then again from Japan to the UK....

I've got to say, these do look nice IMO
Just wish I knew someone who had one :)
EDIT: That said, I really do need to play my short scale - so I can get used to it! lol

Edited by Marc S