Why become a member? ×

Bad to buy a 7 year old bass? Please advise.

noc

Not if it has to come through Customs. Your friend will be liable and it will won't be released until any tax is paid. The discussions will take place at the bench before it is allowed through so you will not be able to turn up and have any say yourself.

Can it not just be sent straight to your home? Meeting it in the UK won't affect it's condition after all.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1503412170' post='3358011']
I know someone who did manage to bring an instrument back without paying charges. They didn't fly direct, they flew via CDG in Paris, consequently their flight into the UK was from an EU country.
[/quote]

LOL Sneeky!

God, this is really sucky. I didnt think what you bring with your luggage triggers custom tax. Thought it was just mailed stuff. But that means that ANYTHING people buy from abroad outside EU they should pay tax on as long as its over what, 30 quid...
Damn...

If your mate is prepared to say it's his, the chances of being pulled on it are very slim, but that's not to say non existent. He on,y needs to 'own' it, they aren't going to ask him if he can play it. We brought back an old accordion for a friend from Cyprus, only for its sentimental value to them. Got a few funny looks at check in but nothing this end.

Like all smuggling, it's a risk to be taken or not. How lucky is your buddy, in general..? Folks travelling out and back with stuff (not just instruments; cameras, expensive watches etc...) would be wise to have their original purchase papers with them, to show Customs that all taxes and duties have already been paid. If the final destination is not a, EU country, VAT would not be payable, but import duty of the final country would be. The documents required for 'sending on' in that way are rather complex, and probably beyond the scope of yourself or your friend. I'd have a real think about the whole deal if I were you. The odds against are stacking up.
Just sayin'; hope this helps.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1503413226' post='3358026']
If your mate is prepared to say it's his, the chances of being pulled on it are very slim, but that's not to say non existent. He on,y needs to 'own' it, they aren't going to ask him if he can play it. We brought back an old accordion for a friend from Cyprus, only for its sentimental value to them. Got a few funny looks at check in but nothing this end.
[/quote]

It comes in a silver coloured metal flight case... :(
You can probably imagine what that looks like right?

Damn.

Whats import on instruments from US? 30% like everything else?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1503413891' post='3358031']
Like all smuggling, it's a risk to be taken or not. How lucky is your buddy, in general..? Folks travelling out and back with stuff (not just instruments; cameras, expensive watches etc...) would be wise to have their original purchase papers with them, to show Customs that all taxes and duties have already been paid. If the final destination is not a, EU country, VAT would not be payable, but import duty of the final country would be. The documents required for 'sending on' in that way are rather complex, and probably beyond the scope of yourself or your friend. I'd have a real think about the whole deal if I were you. The odds against are stacking up.
Just sayin'; hope this helps.
[/quote]

Yeah im feeling like that that...
Would it be different if a citizen/someone who lives in the US was coming to visit England you think?

[quote name='noc' timestamp='1503414058' post='3358034']...
Would it be different if a citizen/someone who lives in the US was coming to visit England you think?
[/quote]

Not if the bass was to be left in the UK (ie: imported...). T'would be OK if the visitor was to take the bass back home with them, but US Customs may want to see the papers going back, too..! These 'ere gov'ments are no fools; they know how to get taxes paid all right..!

[quote name='noc' timestamp='1503414058' post='3358034']

Yeah im feeling like that that...
[/quote]

That would be different. It'd be like you taking an instrument away with you to the US.

I once met someone on here who was American, but lives here. He owned a beautiful Smith bass, that his brother brought over with him on a visit.

[quote name='noc' timestamp='1503413944' post='3358032']

It comes in a silver coloured metal flight case... :(
You can probably imagine what that looks like right?

Damn.

Whats import on instruments from US? 30% like everything else?
[/quote]
People travel with instruments all the time though, if it's seen as his personal property then there is no issue, if it's leaving the UK after then it shouldn't be subject to UK tax anyway so it's not a fiddle.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1503414897' post='3358045']
People travel with instruments all the time though, if it's seen as his personal property then there is no issue, if it's leaving the UK after then it shouldn't be subject to UK tax anyway so it's not a fiddle.
[/quote]

Depends on where the final destination is, and being able to prove it.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1503415162' post='3358047']
Get him to stick labels on with his name and address, then rough them up a bit, make them look old.

Maybe also stencil his name across it?

Just so it looks like his instrument that he's owned for some time.
[/quote]

It may work; it may become a prison sentence. Customs bods are not daft.

bought a pedal steel through years ago - customs chap said |"whats in the box" "Just my old guitar" says I. "Openi it up" says he. "Blimey what on earth is it? Looks more like a knitting machine" (brief heasdscratch) "OK off you go then, sir.."

That was back in the early seventies. I think I would be declaring something on it, maybe not full price, but better sazfe than sorry.
Check out what the customs import limit is - used to be $400 per item.

So your fella sticks the guitar and his luggage on a trolley and has a decision - which channel to use? He should use the red 'Goods to Declare' channel where he will pay vat and duty before being let go. If he chooses the green 'Nothing to Declare' he might be lucky and there's no one checking at all. Nine times out of ten this channel is deserted (when I use T5 which I do frequently). If he gets stopped in this channel does he 'fess up or does he blag his way out of it? It's your mate.......

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1503417204' post='3358069']
It may work; it may become a prison sentence. Customs bods are not daft.
[/quote]

That's the bottom line here. I had a lengthy chat with a Denmark St dealer about customs and it was an eye opener. He described how it cost him a fortune and hit his bottom line badly, but that there was no way he'd try to blag it. And he didn't strike me as the delicate type......

Either way, 23% saving on a 7-year old instrument plus risk of approx 30% duties/taxes, and the possibility that if you try to blag it things could get messy (bass impounded and a prosecution). As our US friends say "You do the math...."

And imagine if you then had to return it because it isn't what you expected :(

Noc, making a broad assumption that you're relatively new to the wonderful world of bass - I would absolutely bail on this and get something closer to home.

Lots of great choice out there in friendlier tax environments, with better returns options.

There are a few things at play here.

You say that it is 23% cheaper than new.

0.77 + 30% for customs etc = 1

A new one would be 1. Add 30% customs = 1.30 (add more for postage). Bear in mind that it will need a CITES certificate if it is posted and contains wood on the list, such as rosewood. This will likely increase the purchase cost and you will need to sort out some things your end with a slight additional cost, too. If your mate walks in with it, you will not need to get a certificate.

Depending on how much it costs for a new one, you could be looking at as much as 1.4 or 1.45 the actual price. The 7 year-old bass at 1.00 does not look all that expensive when you add in everything. But I would say that 23% off (before added costs) is not enough for 7 years of use.