Why become a member? ×

Funkee! - video playing basses worth from $100 to $10000

mcnach

I love this guy's videos, really cool basslines and entertaining.

This one has a little extra in the shape of playing basses from 100 to 10000 dollars!
It's not exactly a useful comparison in any way, especially as you get a Precision vs a Jazz vs a... I don't know, a double humbucker type of bass... but it's cool to see that if you can play a bit, you can probably play anything and make it sound decent.

When I was a teenager I had a terrible terrible guitar and I used to tell myself that I'd be so much better when I got enough money to buy that Fender Stratocaster... and one day I was walking in the city centre in Madrid, and this little gypsy boy no more than 8 or 9 years old, was playing a Spanish guitar that had a hole in it and was in terrible state... and the boy was incredible on that broken guitar. That was a good lesson.

Anyway, here's the video, enjoy!

http://youtu.be/iLDP_DchWmk

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1498566439' post='3325547']
I would rather have heard him actually talk about the basses than showcasing his playing
[/quote]

See, I don't care at all about what he has to say about the basses. :)

I'm not very interested in a comparison between basses when they are very different in style to start with, and I don't think I need someone else telling me that there are build/feel/finish differences between a very very cheap Lindo Precision copy, a Fender Jazz, and a twin humbucker Fodera. However, I loved the music, and I loved that even the cheap Lindo bass could be used to great effect. Sure, it was far from my favourite Precision sound, but it wasn't horrible either.

I used a J&D Jazz that i paid £65 for at a wedding in Italy on Friday. Didn't want to take anything valuable for obvious reasons but was blown away by how good it sounded in the recorded audio. Sadly my playing is nowhere near the standard of the chap in the OP's video.

[media]http://youtu.be/1c7haVAqMrw[/media]

Some fabulous editing (and playing). Overall, I have to say, I preferred the Fodera. Lindo came in second, as, apart from when the tone was rolled back, and when he went up the dusty end, I really didn't like the sound of the Jazz.

Another great video from this guy.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1498589037' post='3325752']
I used a J&D Jazz that i paid £65 for at a wedding in Italy on Friday. Didn't want to take anything valuable for obvious reasons but was blown away by how good it sounded in the recorded audio. Sadly my playing is nowhere near the standard of the chap in the OP's video.

[/quote]

That J&D bass is great. I had one and sounded fantastic completely stock. I only sold it because I had too many Jazz basses and I am not a fan of slim necks... but I love the Jazz sound so I kept buying them :lol:

Cool vid. The guy can play for sure. And as already said shows instrument price and having higher end gear is only a small part of playing.

One thing I'm not keen about the guys vids though, is many seem over processed. In person you know there's a lot more playing noise etc going on. This vid isn't too bad but some of them I feel have had to much post stuff done to them. Which is fair enough and his editing etc is a skill in itself.
But a lot of people when they listen to a raw isolated bass track think that someone can't play lol.

Oh and in no way am I saying he wouldn't sound good without all the other stuff going on.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1498589037' post='3325752']

[/quote]

I like my Jazz basses and that sounds just like any other Jazz to me. If its nice to play then you've won a watch there.
Enjoyed that band. Female vocalist has a great voice. Also enjoyed your bass playing so looks like it was a good gig.

As for the OP's VID i have to admit i liked the Fodera and thought the jazz faded a bit in tone / clarity as he went higher up the neck. The Lindo sounded pretty even across its range and sounded like most precisions to me.
Would have been interesting if he had mentioned playability. No point comparing controls and tone variations as the Fodera has quite a few bits and bobs to play with.

Just goes to show that a good musician can make himself sound good with any half decent bass.

I quite like this guys VIDS. He's made quite a few funny and catchy ones i've enjoyed.

Dave

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1498611608' post='3325902']

That J&D bass is great. I had one and sounded fantastic completely stock. I only sold it because I had too many Jazz basses and I am not a fan of slim necks... but I love the Jazz sound so I kept buying them :lol:
[/quote]

I picked up a J&D Jazz a few weeks ago and the Stingray hasn't been out if it's case since.