Why become a member? ×

I'm Done With OD Pedals

blue

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1497226929' post='3316693']
What about them is a pain in the arse?
[/quote]

No matter how I tweak them, when I'm gigging and engage OD the signal drops and I get a lot of harsh high end.

And as I said it doesn't happen with any of my other pedals.

I'll use my MXR M-85 Bass Distortion for OD. I can get plenty of sustain from my TC Electronics Chorus (Corona).

Blue

Edited by blue

Hmmm. Have you tried the Source Audio Aftershock? Watch a couple of demos online. You can get pretty much any OD/distortion/fuzz sound imaginable out of that thing. I've barely scratched the surface of mine but I'm pretty sure I'll never need to buy another OD pedal again.

Compressor at the end of the chain to boost back up after distortion and take the high peaks out is one option.

When I ran a lot of dirt I would have a compressor early for clean playing and one at the end for when dirt engaged. It of course becomes a bit of a fag if it's clicking a pedals on and off if it's momentary dirt in a song but fine if it's for a song duration.

You could also look towards a pedal like Two Notes LeBass where you have 2 circuits, 1 clean and 1 drive, you can run them independently, run the Clean into the drive as a cascade, or run them parallel and at whatever stage have them blended to your taste.
Bottom end stays with it

I've thought this exact thing many times over.
Chasing all the 'pedals of the moment' that people rave about either here or on talk bass.
I've found that, for me, very very few actually live up to the hype. (Inc source, boutique brands, and some of the ehx products)
The boss offerings, as well as the ampeg inspired ones don't work for me. It has cost me an absolute fortune over the years!!
The ones I've had the best results with are the bass soul food, bass tubescreamer, dod bass overdrive, cream pie for subtle drive and the glove for lemmy grind
I don't have much use for full on drive/ distortion tones- so I don't have anything on my boards at the moment to cover that.

I've had exactly the same experience, but only with high-gain type pedals. I'm currently using a Pork Loin though and all is good. Clean pre-amp blended with a BiFET overdrive. Curve control and a clean blend. Big fat sound, no loss of low end, no signal drop, no 'fizzy on top' type of sound. It will of course depend on what frequency bands other members of your ensemble are occupying and I suspect that part of the problem I had with a Pike was the very scooped guitar sound I was often competing with, rather than the pedal itself.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1497250847' post='3316727']
I've thought this exact thing many times over.
Chasing all the 'pedals of the moment' that people rave about either here or on talk bass.
I've found that, for me, very very few actually live up to the hype. (Inc source, boutique brands, and some of the ehx products)
The boss offerings, as well as the ampeg inspired ones don't work for me. It has cost me an absolute fortune over the years!!
The ones I've had the best results with are the bass soul food, bass tubescreamer, dod bass overdrive, cream pie for subtle drive and the glove for lemmy grind
I don't have much use for full on drive/ distortion tones- so I don't have anything on my boards at the moment to cover that.
[/quote]

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1497255475' post='3316757']
I've been through quite a few of the fancy drive pedals, but have sold them all on. Currently really liking the EHX Bass Soul Food and my Joyo Orange Juice (which is a filthy wee beast.)
[/quote]

I completely get the sentiment expressed about chasing the "latest thing" and following the herd, although to be fair some pedal recommendations on this forum have been really helpful (e.g. Smooth Hound wireless).

The overdrive sims and the ability to tweak on the Zoom B3n are not bad at all. And the fact is that any [i]subtle[/i] differences to bass tone are just not going to get noticed by band members or audiences in the context of live performance, with everything else going on around you, right?

But I'm kinda amused that I find myself now really wanting to check out the EHX Bass Soul Food after both your recommendations and the fact that you have found a lot of other pedals to be over-hyped. So is that me about to jump on another band wagon then?! :)

Edited by Al Krow

Yep - the cheap pedals bandwagon! :) I look at it as part of the fun, but don't really expect to ever get to a final destination. I've also been through four fancy (and very nice) chorus pedals, before deciding that a Boss was 'good enough' and selling the others.

My attention has shifted from drives to filters and reverby things now - oh dear...

Blue - Tech 21 VT Bass is damn good though, that might be worth a try.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1497244935' post='3316707']
The demo by Roey Haviv on you tube is prob about the best one out there on this pedal
[/quote]

+1 to this. Roey Haviv's demos all seem to be very useful. His DOD Meatbox one basically inspired me to spend a lot of money completely redoing my pedalboard though so beware! :lol:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1497233310' post='3316700']
No matter how I tweak them, when I'm gigging and engage OD the signal drops and I get a lot of harsh high end.
[/quote]

Do you have a tweeter running in your cab(s), and/or do you have a "bright" switch on your amp that you tend to engage? These, I've found, are a bit of a minefield with OD pedals, as they put a high shelf on your sound - this can add a nice clarity to your dry sound, but gets massively overemphasised by the OD pedal.

As for loss of signal...I assume you've tried ODs with a "blend" control? Then the question really becomes what you're trying to do to your sound. If you want a fat, distorted-but-still-"in-the-pocket" sound then I'd suggest trying a bass fuzz instead of an OD. Personally I keep my OD in the chain for lead playing, and in those cases I found that most bass ODs scooped the mids too much, but a Bass Tubescreamer does the job just nicely.

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1497276785' post='3316953']
I would go with sticking a limiter or compressor at the end of the chain to keep everything consistent level.
[/quote]I was always under the impression that overdriving the signal compressed it anyway.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1497279097' post='3316979']
I was always under the impression that overdriving the signal compressed it anyway.
[/quote]

It does, but with decent compression at the end it allows for boosting of output compared to input and allows expression of light and heavy attack with the overdrive

I`ve found that many OD pedals seem to add harsh top end, but the Tech21 pedals manage to avoid this, unless set to do that of course. My current fave - and keeper - is the Para Driver. It really is a great pedal.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1497270746' post='3316905']

Do you have a tweeter running in your cab(s), and/or do you have a "bright" switch on your amp that you tend to engage? These, I've found, are a bit of a minefield with OD pedals, as they put a high shelf on your sound - this can add a nice clarity to your dry sound, but gets massively overemphasised by the OD pedal.

As for loss of signal...I assume you've tried ODs with a "blend" control? Then the question really becomes what you're trying to do to your sound. If you want a fat, distorted-but-still-"in-the-pocket" sound then I'd suggest trying a bass fuzz instead of an OD. Personally I keep my OD in the chain for lead playing, and in those cases I found that most bass ODs scooped the mids too much, but a Bass Tubescreamer does the job just nicely.
[/quote]

I'm running GK RBX 2x10 cabs. I never turn the tweeter on.

I can blend my signal with my MRX M85 Bass Distortion pedal.

Blue

Another thing, I do all my tweeking & twerking in the bedroom through headphones and everything sounds great.

Then I get to a gig and it's not the same.I should know better.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1497288917' post='3317074']

Have to agree, although you could refine it and say 2 pedals that were poo for you....!
[/quote]

Yeah, so is price my answer. I should by a more expensive OD pedal?

Blue

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1497263055' post='3316829']
Yep - the cheap pedals bandwagon! :) I look at it as part of the fun, but don't really expect to ever get to a final destination. I've also been through four fancy (and very nice) chorus pedals, before deciding that a Boss was 'good enough' and selling the others.

My attention has shifted from drives to filters and reverby things now - oh dear...

Blue - Tech 21 VT Bass is damn good though, that might be worth a try.
[/quote]

Thanks Red,

I check out some demo clips.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1497291621' post='3317113']
Another thing, I do all my tweeking & twerking in the bedroom through headphones and everything sounds great.

Then I get to a gig and it's not the same.I should know better.

Blue
[/quote]
[quote name='blue' timestamp='1497292025' post='3317116']
Thanks Red,

I check out some demo clips.

Blue
[/quote]the same applies to demo clips as applies to playing bass on your own through headphones, it will sound totally different in a gigging environment, we've all been there, sounds great at home, sh*t at a gig