Why become a member? ×

Communication, wonderful thing, apparently

We're doing 3 gigs in a row with 3 American bands who are on a mini tour.

At this point, I should make it clear I am not the point of contact in this band!

Our man contacted one of the 'merkins to check what bits our drummer would need to bring for the first gig tonight.

Guess what? "Could you bring the whole kit please?". "And we will need 2 guitar amps". "Oh, and a bass rig"

This was at 1pm on the day of the gig (today), I packed all the gear I'm taking (amp, cab, guitar amp) last night and going straight there from work. Not going home to get my other guitar amp.

I hope the venue has a PA. Can anyone confirm the Beehive in Swindon has a house PA? Cheers.

Oh, rant over!

TBF this is pretty standard practice when playing with bands from outside of the UK. The only time the band I've been playing with hasn't been expected to supply the full backline and drum kit in this situation was when we were supporting a German Rockabilly band that came over in a mini tour bus with all their gear and their own PA engineer.

At least they aren't completely taking the piss like The Meteors who turned up to a gig with a guitar and a snare drum (and a van load of T-shirts to sell) and expected to be able to borrow all the other gear including an upright bass!

On the other hand some more notice/confirmation of the situation than on the day of the gig would have been nice.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1495543603' post='3304591']
On the other hand some more notice/confirmation of the situation than on the day of the gig would have been nice.
[/quote]

This is the crux of it really, isn't it? Everyone who's played more than half a dozen gigs will have an implicit understanding of "standard practice," but if you don't think to check in advance then you surely risk coming a-cropper. Especially if you've already gone to the lengths of crossing the Atlantic to do the gig in the first place...

It does seem a pretty massive assumption that all the gear will be laid on without even asking. It's a good job I will probably do all the lending, as I know of many on here who have stated that they would not, and I totally understand why! I'm normally easy going, but this has even got me slightly peeved! :)
My drummer, on the other hand, may turn a bit pissy if he thinks he's being taken for a ride (or a crash!), as he doesn't have the means to replace his gear as readily as I.

What is this "Lending" thing? Three American bands have come to Britain to do a tour and have made no provision for equipment? I would hire them the gear, they are headlining and they will be making the money from this. It all seems very last minute and lame to me. What if your guy had not contacted them and you just pitched up with breakables?

You could start by saying "We all go straight into the PA, use digital modelling and in-ears, I thought you knew? But I could probably hire you some backline if you want me to...let me know your budget..." :D

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1495543011' post='3304585']
I'm playing there tomorrow night!

They have a pa of sorts. It's rudimentary but adequate for the size of gig. Odd room in some ways but a good atmosphere - very little room to set up in though! Parking is a huge nightmare.
[/quote]

Yup, The 'Hive is dinky.

It probably wasn't a massive assumption, the "promoter" probably said it'd be fine

I turned up to a gig last week, the drummer on before me said "where's your kit?" and seemed pretty annoyed that I hadn't brought it. The promoter told me he was bringing his kit. I just did as I was told! We found a house kit anyway, but still, we agreed to talk to each other directly in future

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1495550385' post='3304689']
[b]It probably wasn't a massive assumption, the "promoter" probably said it'd be fine[/b]

I turned up to a gig last week, the drummer on before me said "where's your kit?" and seemed pretty annoyed that I hadn't brought it. The promoter told me he was bringing his kit. I just did as I was told! We found a house kit anyway, but still, we agreed to talk to each other directly in future
[/quote]

Yup. Bet the "Promoter" is taking a cut for hire of equipment, then telling the support acts to supply there own for the use of all the bands.

These sorts of tours only work on the assumption that the drum kit and backline will be provided by the "local" band(s).

I had a quick look to see who the bands were, and I'd not heard of any of them, but I suspect that they have a following in their niche genre. If this is anything like the gigs I've done supporting bands from outside of the UK the only money being made will be from the sales of merchandise and that is unlikely to cover the cost of getting the bands over in the first place.

The touring bands do it because it is for them a low cost way of playing to new audiences and travelling to different countries. The local bands do it because hopefully it will put them in front of people who haven't seen them play before and there is always the possibility that they will be invited back to play in the US, where they will be the ones borrowing the drum kit and backline.

Also IME the touring bands tend to be extremely grateful that someone is prepared to lend them the equipment to play through and very respectful of it. After all with no local support and therefore no gear there is no gig.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495553688' post='3304733']...
Even when I was a teen, I had reservations about guys that ask and want to use other people's rear...
[/quote]

This is my stance, too. My rear has always been for my use only. :mellow:

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1495545981' post='3304623']

My drummer, on the other hand, may turn a bit pissy if he thinks he's being taken for a ride (or a crash!), as he doesn't have the means to replace his gear as readily as I.[/quote]

I don't blame him. I don't have money to throw away on repairing my rig.

Blue

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1495556725' post='3304795']
Oh well, off I go. Wish us luck (and lack of damage!)
[/quote]

Good luck, Your in my prayers that no ones rear is damaged.😁

Blue

Edited by blue