Why become a member? ×

How much are Pubs/clubs paying in Sussex?

julesb

One of the bands I'm in will be ready to roll soon but as a six piece the fee needs to be half decent. The music is classic rock but with much less focus on the classic crap.

[color=#ff8c00][size=5][b]Anyone got experience of the Sussex circuit and maybe a list of venues with expected fees?[/b][/size][/color]

Thanks in advance!

Edited by julesb

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1494429713' post='3295917']
I don't know how much they pay, but I do know how much 4 hour US bar gigs pay.
[/quote]
:Milwaukee:

My experience in the North East is that most pubs pay around £250, and the number of band members is the band's problem not the venue (i.e. they pay no more for larger bands).

Clubs tend to pay more but expect a higher standard - but my knowledge there is well out of date...

I realise that this may not be particularly helpful to the OP :blush:

Edited by Conan

I'd prefer clubs anyway and imo this is a high standard band. Boy girl lead vocals and three/four part harmony with good musicians. £250 is going to be difficult but might have to start with that to get everything oiled.

We play predominantly in Sussex area - East/West Sussex/Surrey/Kent borders.

You're probably looking at £250 - £300 for pubs, some pay up to £400, but that's typically for proven acts who draw a crowd.

Clubs can be more, some up to £500, but then smaller ones may pay half that.

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1494431034' post='3295933']
I'd prefer clubs anyway and imo this is a high standard band. Boy girl lead vocals and three/four part harmony with good musicians. £250 is going to be difficult but might have to start with that to get everything oiled.
[/quote]

I think you will find that it is OTHER people's opinions on how good you are that carries the more weight

most party bands have boy/girl singers, and it doesn't mean they are good.

And yes, it's a buyers market so you get what they decide you get

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1494431034' post='3295933']
[/quote]

If you are offering 3/4 part harmony with good musicians you should be playing venues that can afford at least $600.00.

I personally don't advise play pubs for $250.00. Sounds like you have put a lot of work into the band. Set your pay accordingly.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494436586' post='3296001']
If you are offering 3/4 part harmony with good musicians you should be playing venues that can afford at least $600.00.

I personally don't advise play pubs for $250.00. Sounds like you have put a lot of work into the band. Set your pay accordingly.

Blue
[/quote]
When it comes down to it the market will determine what a band will get paid. It doesn't matter how good you think you are or how many people are in the band, if a 3 piece playing the same venue can draw a bigger crowd then they will get paid the same fee or more...!

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1494434652' post='3295983']

You're probably looking at £250 - £300 for pubs, some pay up to £400, but that's typically for proven acts who draw a crowd.

[/quote]this

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494436586' post='3296001']

Blue
[/quote]

Thanks Blue.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1494434652' post='3295983']

[/quote]

Thanks Graham.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1494436377' post='3295998']

I think you will find that it is OTHER people's opinions on how good you are that carries the more weight

most party bands have boy/girl singers, and it doesn't mean they are good.

And yes, it's a buyers market so you get what they decide you get
[/quote]

Was this intentionally patronising? I'm just trying to get a bit of an overview from people on the sussex circuit.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1494440862' post='3296044']
Trouble IS 250ish is the going rate for most pubs if you can't afford to play for that that there's plenty of bands that will as sadly there is more bands then music venues
[/quote]
Thanks, I'm starting to get the picture with the pub thing. I always preferred venues with a stage anyway 😄

Edited by julesb

with a six piece, you probably better off looking at the wedding/corporate market rather than the dog and duck, not much room to set up usually and the pay will be poor split 6 ways, even im my 3 piece it works out at about £12 an hour by the time you take into account all the driving and setting up, beer money really.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1494446110' post='3296106']
with a six piece, you probably better off looking at the wedding/corporate market rather than the dog and duck, not much room to set up usually and the pay will be poor split 6 ways, even im my 3 piece it works out at about £12 an hour by the time you take into account all the driving and setting up, beer money really.
[/quote]
I think you're right. Thank you

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1494442578' post='3296064']

When it comes down to it the market will determine what a band will get paid. It doesn't matter how good you think you are or how many people are in the band, if a 3 piece playing the same venue can draw a bigger crowd then they will get paid the same fee or more...!
[/quote]

Not in Milwaukee. 😁

Actually your right, no matter what, a local band is never going to get more than $500.00 out of a bar..

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1494446110' post='3296106']
[/quote]

Agreed,

6 pieces, stay away from pubs. Unless your a "just for fun" 6 peice.

Blue

Edited by blue