Why become a member? ×

Pointless Questions..

Pissman

Was just wondering outa curiosity...what do you gain from having a fretless bass? Or a headless? (Apart from looking good)

Another one....how loud can acousto-electrics go?

A third random question!...How does the sounds change as the neck scale increases/decreases?

This is mainly because I'm wanting to get another bass somewhen soon...when money appears....and wanted it to be 'different'

Is it true that red basses make you play faster?

And finaly...how are you today?

[quote name='Pissman' post='316189' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:40 PM']Was just wondering outa curiosity...what do you gain from having a fretless bass? Or a headless? (Apart from looking good)

A third random question!...How does the sounds change as the neck scale increases/decreases?

This is mainly because I'm wanting to get another bass somewhen soon...when money appears....and wanted it to be 'different'

And finaly...how are you today?[/quote]
1. 'that' fretless sound, and an unending possibility of notes i guess, and not a clue!

2. Not very

3. not a clue, never tried a shortscale

4. yes :)

5. I'm not too bad thanks, and yourself? :huh:

[quote name='budget bassist' post='316190' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:42 PM']1. 'that' fretless sound, and an unending possibility of notes i guess, and not a clue!

2. Not very

3. not a clue, never tried a shortscale

4. yes :)

5. I'm not too bad thanks, and yourself? :huh:[/quote]

right then!...hand me that red spray paint..

[quote name='Pissman' post='316189' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:40 PM']Was just wondering outa curiosity...what do you gain from having a fretless bass? Or a headless? (Apart from looking good)

1) MUCHHHHH less fret wear. Less chance of a head ding.

2)Not very

3) Short scale has no discernible difference from long or medium....which is why i sold my shortscale and bought another full scale.

4) Yes...so fast that you need a special permit to own one.

5) Well pissed off....just got back to work after a 1 week paid suspension. hope you're good though...unless you work in the Employee Relations Dept. of my company in which case i hope you rot in hell along with your family, pets and friends.

[quote name='thebeat' post='316208' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:51 PM']1) MUCHHHHH less fret wear. Less chance of a head ding.

2)Not very

3) Short scale has no discernible difference from long or medium....which is why i sold my shortscale and bought another full scale.

4) Yes...so fast that you need a special permit to own one.

5) Well pissed off....just got back to work after a 1 week paid suspension. hope you're good though...unless you work in the Employee Relations Dept. of my company in which case i hope you rot in hell along with your family, pets and friends.[/quote]

1) whats fret wear? my bass has never tried to 'wear' anything...

5) just quit your job...you know thats what Joe Strummer would do :)

1. Fretless... A more "slidey sound". Less accuracy and a greater need for fantastic pitch and/or lh technique.

2. I have four headless basses. The idea is that you can play faster as there is no weight on the left wrist & the balance of the instrument is as good as perfect. Also as a previous contributor mentioned, you have a decreased chance of hitting your headstocks against people/walls/other stuff.

3. Electro accoustics are generally quite quiet becuase if you turn them up too high, they are prone to feedback.

4. Scale length doesn't make a huge difference to the sound, apart from longer scale lengths such as 35" for better string tension on B-strings. The main difference is the smaller gaps between the frets. Doesn't make a difference in your playing if your technique is up to scratch, though. I have 32", 34" & 35". No problem.

5. Red basses? Errr... Nope :)

6. I'm just peachy, thanks! Off school for half term and just teaching private pupils at my own leisure. Going down to Status in Colchester on Friday as well.

I have a question for you... Why are you called the quasai-offensive name, "Pissman"? Is it because you smell like the conga line at an old folks' home? :huh:

Rich.

PS. This is the most amazing quote I've seen in ages, TheBeat!!!

[quote]5) Well pissed off....just got back to work after a 1 week paid suspension. hope you're good though...unless you work in the Employee Relations Dept. of my company in which case i hope you rot in hell along with your family, pets and friends.[/quote]

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

1) Fretless - slower attack, total freedom in your intonation and note choice (ie. its possible to play a quarter tone passing note between two notes a semi tone apart)
Headless - better balance, (especially beneficial for extended range basses) and if you have a tremolo, better tuning stability.
2) Never as loud as a guitar
3) Compare an NS CR5 cello (34" scale) to a NS CR5 electric upright bass (41" scale) if you ever get the chance. Generally, the longer the scale the deeper the instrument sounds.
4) Only if they have a Ferrari decal and are low to the ground
5) Disturbed by your avatar.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='316227' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:09 PM']I have a question for you... Why are you called the quasai-offensive name, "Pissman"? Is it because you smell like the conga line at an old folks' home? :huh:

Rich.[/quote]

Thanks! And I'll answer that with my own question!

Is quasai even a real word? :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='316239' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:23 PM']:huh: :huh: :unsure:

At least you realise they are pointless, unlike many who post the same questions with all sincerity. Witness the thread on scale length.[/quote]

I've learnt by now...most things I say are pointless :)

and Clarky...word of advice...dont work out, use photoshop! :huh:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='316227' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:09 PM']2. I have four headless basses. The idea is that you can play faster as there is no weight on the left wrist & the balance of the instrument is as good as perfect. Also as a previous contributor mentioned, you have a decreased chance of hitting your headstocks against people/walls/other stuff.[/quote]
My lead guitarist head butted the headstock of my MM at a gig once :) he managed to hit the G string tuner too so not too pleasant i'd imagine :huh:

Fretless- what everyone else said!

Headless- Balance. The fact that nearly all can be leant against a wall without falling over as they all seem to have 2 strap buttons at the tail end! Portability- esp Steinbergers and the new Status Streamline...

Electro-acoustic? Not loud enough "acoustically" to challenge a vigourously strummed acoustic guitar. Too prone to feedback in an amplified environment (due to the size of the top as much as anything) Plugging the soundhole isn't enough...

Scale Length? Not the most important factor in a bass' sound, but, as many have said, influences feel.
It does seem to make a difference when you get up to the 41" instruments, but do consider that the next longest in general production is about 36". That's a much bigger difference than from 34" to 35". Longer scales seem to have a greater fundamental content and fewer harmonics (when not EQed!)

Red Basses? I play mine slower, but then it [i]is[/i] "Translucent Sunset Orange"...

Me? I'm ok. trying to get some sleep, so I guess I shouldn't be doing this!

I suppose the avatar is really the logical development of The Big Beef Chief's topless pose.

Either that or Pissman (Pisstake?) played the backing music on [i]The Full Monty[/i].

I hope to God that bass is being supported by the strap, with no under-pinning involved ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='316430' date='Oct 28 2008, 09:15 AM']I suppose the avatar is really the logical development of The Big Beef Chief's topless pose.

Either that or Pissman (Pisstake?) played the backing music on [i]The Full Monty[/i].

I hope to God that bass is being supported by the strap, with no under-pinning involved ...[/quote]

I reckon he's auditioning for a RHCP tribute band.

[quote name='Pissman' post='316189' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:40 PM']Was just wondering outa curiosity...what do you gain from having a fretless bass? Or a headless? (Apart from looking good)[/quote]

Fretless bass sounds awesome and is more rewarding to play (in my opinion). Headless bass kicks ass when you are playing a gig in cramped conditions.

S.P.

1A Fretless - doesn't matter so much where you put your fingers, so you can play faster. And no speed bumps, so you can play even faster.

1B Headless - you don't have to tune them. Because there aren't any tuners. Or is it just that I can't find them?

2 Electro-Acoustic - depends whether plugged in or not. Unplugged they're quiet. Plugged in, they howl like a really pissed off werewolf.

3 Short scale - not so far to go, so you can play faster.

4 Red - does colour affect tone? Discuss.

5 I'm just trying to work out if the loss on my pension fund is greater or less than the fees I've been charged by the managers. But I'm fine, really. Not at all bitter, or twisted.

If it's speed you want, go for a red fretless shortscale.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='316897' date='Oct 28 2008, 05:41 PM']Red basses are not the fastest. The silver and black ones are. But the musicians union is doing its best to put penalties on the silver and black ones players so the red ones look faster.[/quote]
:huh: :huh: :huh:

Still getting lots of earnest replies to the pointless questions. Irony is truely lost :)

Edited by bass_ferret

Another pointless question!

1), How can I tell if a bass is Jazz or Precision by looking at it...if its description doesn't say?

[url="http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=233&CollectionID=12"]http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?Produc...CollectionID=12[/url]

as in is that a JB or PB n how do i know?

(I'm pretty stupid..you'll get used to it:)