Why become a member? ×

Laptop not turning on

SH73

I switch my laptop on and after putting the password in the screen goes black.

I remove the battery and hold down the power off button to get rid off statics (I read this on the Internet). This sometimes does the trick but I have to repeat the process several times.Up to 45 mins before I get the laptop working.
Any suggestions other than buying a new laptop. It has ssd and windows 7.
All my compositions are saved on there.

Sounds like you don't have a backup, so if you can afford one go and order yourself a USB hard drive asap!

Shut down the machine, start it up again and keep tapping F8 (before you see Windows loading) and you'll get the option to boot up in safe mode.

If that works, you'll have an opportunity to back up your files in that state. If safe mode boots up ok then either corruption, buggy software, malware, or a dodgy driver is at fault. If safe mode didn't even boot then corruption is most likely.

You can try the built in repair options and if that doesn't cut it then you're probably looking at a reinstall, unless you can take it to someone who knows how to dig deeper into the cause.

If you can't boot up to get your files off, you'll need to attach the drive to another machine in order to do so, most likely with a USB adaptor that you can pick up from eBay fairly cheap.

Ok, looks like you've made some progress! Might just be a one off, sometimes Windows updates can temporarily cause issues like that, especially if you're low on disk space etc, or you powered down mid-update.

Since it's a Samsung SSD, install Samsung Magician, it should be able to tell you if the disk is reporting any failures.

Edited by dannybuoy

Ok, so if this happens during use, does just the screen go blank or does the entire device instantly power off?

If all power just goes dead, a common cause of this is overheating due to the fans becoming blocked by dust build up.

Edited by dannybuoy

Might be something different but my lads laptop screen kept going black recently. This only happened when the mains supply was connected and I kept thinking there was something up with the power supply. Wasn't that though - some how the power management settings had changed (no idea how) and screen brightness was set to 0% when power supply was connected. This was on an Acer laptop and this issue came up quickly when I googled it.

As I say, might be something completely different.....

Even if it dies you can always remove the hard drive assuming that the hard drive is not faulty

You can get a cable very cheaply that will allow you to read the hard disk on another laptop or PC, once its been removed.

if the screen is faulty, you can still recover your data using a borrowed monitor.

If its a keyboard issue, use a plugin keyboard,

It is a mistake to see a laptop as just one unit

Edited by Geek99

And a silly one that gets overlooked. If this is an "older" machine, it could be as simple as dust cat or dog hair carpet fluff etc blocking the ventilating fan outlet.
Put you hand against the exhaust vent and see if there is air coming out as usual ands that it isnt scaldingly hot.
Common fault on older laptops, especially Sony.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1494400054' post='3295558']
And a silly one that gets overlooked. If this is an "older" machine, it could be as simple as dust cat or dog hair carpet fluff etc blocking the ventilating fan outlet.
Put you hand against the exhaust vent and see if there is air coming out as usual ands that it isnt scaldingly hot.
Common fault on older laptops, especially Sony.
[/quote]
The Mrs has an HP laptop. The fan, situated at the corner clogs regularly with cat hair. The downside is to get to the fan, you have to take the whole laptop apart to get to it!
You have to take the screen off too just to get the motherboard out. Proper crap design that takes ages.
It's been done 3 times in the time that we've had the laptop & it now resides in a cupboard, replaced by a macbook.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1494402901' post='3295582']
The Mrs has an HP laptop. The fan, situated at the corner clogs regularly with cat hair. The downside is to get to the fan, you have to take the whole laptop apart to get to it!
You have to take the screen off too just to get the motherboard out. Proper crap design that takes ages.
It's been done 3 times in the time that we've had the laptop & it now resides in a cupboard, replaced by a macbook.
[/quote]
About par for the course. I have worked on a LOT of laptops and none of them are that easy. Worst thing is having to change a surface mounted DC input socket.
Pain???? You want to talk about pain?????

:rolleyes:

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1494539061' post='3296911']
About par for the course. I have worked on a LOT of laptops and none of them are that easy. Worst thing is having to change a surface mounted DC input socket.
Pain???? You want to talk about pain?????

:rolleyes:
[/quote]
True, but most are a bit easier than that.

I can only imagine the joys of replacing that DC input socket. Tell the customer it's cheaper to replace it.