Why become a member? ×

Shellac 78s

We have a box of them that we inherited when Mrs. LBMs father passed away around 10 years ago. We have no use for them, but I don't want to do anything until I can get some sort of idea:

1. Who might want them;

2. What, if anything, they might be worth.

Without looking through them in detail, they are mostly big band jazz records: more than that I can't be sure as it's an era I don't know much about (a random pick of a couple of them revealed works featuring Victor Sylvester and Sid Phillips if that helps - although I did also find a copy of Kenneth McKellar singing 'Scotland the Brave' :huh: ). There are around 60 or 70 of them in all.

Any help in finding them a good home would be much appreciated.

I inherited a huge boxful from my grandad after he died - there are some exceptions with rare disks I'm sure but the amount each is usually worth is a couple of quid from what I could see. I guess as it was the only real music medium at the time and and so popular they made bloody millions of them!

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1493811989' post='3290824']
I inherited a huge boxful from my grandad after he died - there are some exceptions with rare disks I'm sure but the amount each is usually worth is a couple of quid from what I could see. I guess as it was the only real music medium at the time and and so popular they made bloody millions of them!
[/quote]

Yes I had kind of assumed that, and have no great expectations for them value-wise. It's just that this box is quite heavy and we've carted it from place to place every time we've moved; TBH it's getting to be a bit of a ballache (the more so for having to be so careful with them every time).

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1493815659' post='3290884']
Oh, by the way Lefty, check here

[url="http://www.vinylrecordfair.com/vinyl-record-values/#gsc.tab=0"]http://www.vinylreco...lues/#gsc.tab=0[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to deal with the old shellac 78s (unless I've missed something of course). I'll have a bit of a trawl around t'internet.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1493799691' post='3290674']
We have a box of them that we inherited when Mrs. LBMs father passed away around 10 years ago. We have no use for them, but I don't want to do anything until I can get some sort of idea:

1. Who might want them;

2. What, if anything, they might be worth.

Without looking through them in detail, they are mostly big band jazz records: more than that I can't be sure as it's an era I don't know much about (a random pick of a couple of them revealed works featuring Victor Sylvester and Sid Phillips if that helps - although I did also find a copy of Kenneth McKellar singing 'Scotland the Brave' :huh: ). There are around 60 or 70 of them in all.

Any help in finding them a good home would be much appreciated.
[/quote]

If you don't find anyone interested please don't chuck them or use them for some hipster makeover project will you? Get back in touch with me and I'll store some of them for you with a view to sourcing/building a 78RPM deck.

You may also want to consider it;
https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/ProJect-78RPM-c643

I'd be very surprised if no-one wants to give you money for them however.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1493990287' post='3292433']
If you don't find anyone interested please don't chuck them or use them for some hipster makeover project will you? Get back in touch with me and I'll store some of them for you with a view to sourcing/building a 78RPM deck.

You may also want to consider it;
[url="https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/ProJect-78RPM-c643"]https://www.henleyde...Ject-78RPM-c643[/url]

I'd be very surprised if no-one wants to give you money for them however.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. We'll be moving in 3 weeks, so I won't have time to do anything with them before then anyway. Once we're in the new house I'll need to set aside some time to catalogue them and assess the situation from there.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1493991174' post='3292446']
Thanks for that. We'll be moving in 3 weeks, so I won't have time to do anything with them before then anyway. Once we're in the new house I'll need to set aside some time to catalogue them and assess the situation from there.
[/quote]

Good luck for the move. I trust you're looking forward to it as a move up the property ladder as opposed to a necessary inconvenience. If not; [i]best[/i] of luck!

We've been in rentals for a few years now having sold our own house and invested the proceeds. It's a forced move as the landlord has sold the property, but on the upside the house we're moving to is newer, bigger and better than the one we're moving from.

We will miss the area though: Redditch gets a bit of a bad press, but our end of it is very pleasant: quiet, secluded and a couple of minutes' walk from open countryside. Great neighbours too. Ah well, c'est la vie. :mellow:

Whilst many 78's may not have much monetary value, and yes, they were mass produced. It's worth remembering the delicate nature of the medium - I'm sure that a very high percentage of each mass produced 78 have been broken, or got left near a radiator / sunny window and have warped...

My Dad has quite a few 78's. Most of them worthless, but some of them are now quite rare, and yes, there are collectors around. Do you live anywhere near an antique dealer / centre? Are any similar titles advertised on ebay?

As has been said though - don't chuck them just yet..... see if you can find a collector