Why become a member? ×

NEW Roland Vbass

ped

[url="http://www.roland.com/products/en/VB-99/features.html"]http://www.roland.com/products/en/VB-99/features.html[/url]

Exciting news!! I have fallen completely in love with the original Vbass system by Roland, and they have finally brought out a new edition with some extra features. If anyone hears anything on the grapevine about its release in the UK I would be interested to hear. Whilst I won't be looking at an immediate 'upgrade' I probably will at some point, mainly for the USB interface function. I need to read up and see what else it offers over the original, but thought I would throw out the infor to any other Vbassers out there(?)

Cheers Tayste for the heads up!!! I thought it was a hoax at first!!

Cheers
ped

NEW:

The old discontinued one:

I guess that could be so you don't have to bend down in order to use the infra red D beam. You still have to stop playing to wave your hand in front of it though so probably only good for the climatic endings of songs. Oh no, hang on, you can wave the neck of the bass over it instead.

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec07/articles/rolandvg99.htm"]Sound on Sound VG99 Review[/url]

That should provide quite a bit of information. The thread on Talkbass seemed to be getting quite confused about the method of synthesis. It isn't based on conversion to midi but rather works on the original signal. Looks very cool anyway. I like the look of the ribbon controller too :)

I think the unit will be around $1500, but I think that is pretty reasonable given what it does. The new one can be rack mounted and a floor controller can be purchased separately (either Roland's own or any other MIDI foorswitch) but I think I would prefer an all in one unit like the original to be honest.

Like some of the guys on TB, we have got so used to the original and invested so much time in them that changing it now doesn't seem like a very good idea, but nice to see Roland are still thinking about us!

Cheers
ped

Yeah. I am in two minds about the fact it is desktop based - I usually have my Vbass on the floor live but rarely touch it during songs, to the extent that I got a heavy duty music stand for it to enable it to be lifted up and at eye level for seated playing at home or the studio. In that mode I could easily get away with the FS-6 two button footswitch to assign to two things of my choosing as I can still patch switch and have an assignable pot on the bass, too.

Cheers
ped

• 2 weeks later...

You would think with all the Richard Bona reports lately that the Vbass would be top of everyone's xmas list!

Here is a nice thread on Talkbass with some extra links and so on. The manual for the unit is now available for download.
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481588"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481588[/url]

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='328758' date='Nov 13 2008, 11:54 PM']You would think with all the Richard Bona reports lately that the Vbass would be top of everyone's xmas list!

Here is a nice thread on Talkbass with some extra links and so on. The manual for the unit is now available for download.
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481588"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481588[/url]

Cheers
ped[/quote]
Hi Ped,
I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions but you seem to be the resident BC V Bass expert!

1) How usable are the models in a band context? I've been down the Variax bass route in the past and whilst some of the models sounded great in isolation, they always seemed a bit thin in a band situation.
2) Do you think I would be able to fit the divided pickup on a Lakland DJ4 given the way the bridge plate extends towards the bridge pickup?
As in this pic:
[attachment=15971:Daryl_Jones_Body.jpg]

Cheers,
Ray

[quote name='rayfw' post='328774' date='Nov 14 2008, 12:25 AM']I've been down the Variax bass route in the past and whilst some of the models sounded great in isolation, they always seemed a bit thin in a band situation.[/quote]

I have to confess I've never tried a Variax guitar beyond picking one up in a music shop but it always struck me as a particularly stupid idea. Let's do the processing outboard, eh? I mean, the potential with the Variax is to either like the bass but hate the modelling, or like the modelling but hate the guitar - it's never going to satisfy more than a narrow band of players and its remit is to satisfy loads of us.

Really, really silly idea IMO.

[quote name='rayfw' post='328774' date='Nov 14 2008, 12:25 AM']Hi Ped,
I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions but you seem to be the resident BC V Bass expert!

1) How usable are the models in a band context? I've been down the Variax bass route in the past and whilst some of the models sounded great in isolation, they always seemed a bit thin in a band situation.
2) Do you think I would be able to fit the divided pickup on a Lakland DJ4 given the way the bridge plate extends towards the bridge pickup?
As in this pic:
[attachment=15971:Daryl_Jones_Body.jpg]

Cheers,
Ray[/quote]

Hi Ray,

Please ask away! The pickup will definitely fit your bass. There only needs to be about 1cm gap for the pickup itself and you want it as close to the bridge as possible so it will be fine. Mine luckily fit perfectly as my pickups are right up against the bridge leaving me zero room either side - it was touch and go but the gamble paid off!!

As for the band context, I know where you are coming from. My gear preferences are based purely on band contexts (although more often I am doing studio playing than live stuff) and have found the Vbass to excel in this area. Everything is pretty much infinitely adjustable but I found the sounds superb with little tweaking.

Any more questions let me know - I have some samples dotted around somewhere you can check out that might give you some idea of the unit in a band context...

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='328926' date='Nov 14 2008, 10:26 AM']Hi Ray,

Please ask away! The pickup will definitely fit your bass. There only needs to be about 1cm gap for the pickup itself and you want it as close to the bridge as possible so it will be fine. Mine luckily fit perfectly as my pickups are right up against the bridge leaving me zero room either side - it was touch and go but the gamble paid off!!

As for the band context, I know where you are coming from. My gear preferences are based purely on band contexts (although more often I am doing studio playing than live stuff) and have found the Vbass to excel in this area. Everything is pretty much infinitely adjustable but I found the sounds superb with little tweaking.

Any more questions let me know - I have some samples dotted around somewhere you can check out that might give you some idea of the unit in a band context...

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Many thanks for that. I'm seriously contemplating getting the new V Bass (just have to convince t'other half first!) so I may well ask a couple of questions in the near future.
Links to samples would be great.

Cheers,
Ray

Ah excellent! From what I have read so far it sounds like a similar unit packaged differently and with some extra features like string modelling and the ability to morph patches based on the dynamics of your playing (a synth that turns to clean bass when you dig in? awesome....) so it looks like a lot of fun.

There are a few clips here, but these were a while ago and before I discovered the joys of stereo outputtage!
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30987"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30987[/url]

Cheers
ped

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='328803' date='Nov 14 2008, 02:26 AM']I have to confess I've never tried a Variax guitar beyond picking one up in a music shop but it always struck me as a particularly stupid idea. Let's do the processing outboard, eh? I mean, the potential with the Variax is to either like the bass but hate the modelling, or like the modelling but hate the guitar - it's never going to satisfy more than a narrow band of players and its remit is to satisfy loads of us.

Really, really silly idea IMO.[/quote]

The problem with having an outboard unit is that everyone will be using different guitars with it and so there is no reference starting point from which to create a model. I think the idea behind the variax is that the tone is predictable and can then be altered to produce known results by the electronics inside.

I can see what you mean though the basses are pretty average and don't feel as good as they should for the price.

[quote name='dr.funk' post='329239' date='Nov 14 2008, 04:45 PM']The problem with having an outboard unit is that everyone will be using different guitars with it and so there is no reference starting point from which to create a model. I think the idea behind the variax is that the tone is predictable and can then be altered to produce known results by the electronics inside.

I can see what you mean though the basses are pretty average and don't feel as good as they should for the price.[/quote]

It should be possible to compensate for the individual instruments and create an outboard Variax processor. The technology exists that enables you to 'sample' a room space and then create a reverb patch that can be used on any sound source to make it sound as though it was recorded in that space.

You're right about the quality of the Variax instruments. Most of the people interested in that sort of technology want it on a better instrument than one that would have cost less than £200 without all the modelling electronics,

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='328803' date='Nov 14 2008, 02:26 AM']I have to confess I've never tried a Variax guitar beyond picking one up in a music shop but it always struck me as a particularly stupid idea. Let's do the processing outboard, eh? I mean, the potential with the Variax is to either like the bass but hate the modelling, or like the modelling but hate the guitar - it's never going to satisfy more than a narrow band of players and its remit is to satisfy loads of us.

Really, really silly idea IMO.[/quote]
The guitars are great - after all, there are only two guitar necks, and Line 6 cover both of them, depending on model. I'm not so convinced by the basses. I've had a little play on one (unplugged) and didn't think much of the feel of it. If I actually wanted to play a Fender I'd [s]shoot myself[/s] get one. Basses all sound the same anyway.

[quote name='ped' post='315478' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:03 AM'][url="http://www.roland.com/products/en/VB-99/features.html"]http://www.roland.com/products/en/VB-99/features.html[/url]

Exciting news!! I have fallen completely in love with the original Vbass system by Roland, and they have finally brought out a new edition with some extra features. If anyone hears anything on the grapevine about its release in the UK I would be interested to hear.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Pming you ;o)

• 3 weeks later...