Why become a member? ×

NEW Roland Vbass

ped

[quote name='rayfw' post='347866' date='Dec 7 2008, 02:09 PM']Just scored one of the older units from fleabay for £175!!! No pickup with it but even so I think that's a bargain. Am I OK to pick your brains Ped if I need some help setting it up?[/quote]
yup was watching that from when it was first listed, me n ped both thought it was good for £300, good effort, if i could afford it i would have!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='347872' date='Dec 7 2008, 02:17 PM']yup was watching that from when it was first listed, me n ped both thought it was good for £300, good effort, if i could afford it i would have![/quote]
My GF has just agreed to pay for it for Xmas! Bonus!

Was watching that too, would have had a punt if I had not already decided to play with my pre and p/ups!

Which GK pick up are you going to try, I'm sure ther are 2 versions, the earlier GK-2B and the newer GK-3B, I'm sure the numbers are right, no doubt Ped will provide more info!

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='347885' date='Dec 7 2008, 02:37 PM']Was watching that too, would have had a punt if I had not already decided to play with my pre and p/ups!

Which GK pick up are you going to try, I'm sure ther are 2 versions, the earlier GK-2B and the newer GK-3B, I'm sure the numbers are right, no doubt Ped will provide more info!

Tony[/quote]
I can't seem to find any GK-2Bs for sale so I'm going to get a 3B. I think (hope!) that'll work OK.

Great score, £175 is a steal. I could use a spare if you don't like it ;0)

Let me know if you want any help with it.

Correct, the GK3B is the newer pickup - the 'brain' section of the unit is a little smaller and supposedly thinner too - but the main difference is the 2B has a longer cable between the pickup ad the brain. Fitting my 3B was touch and go as cable length was critical because the 'brain' is mounted on the back of my bass, but luckily it was exactly the right length. Worth downloading the manuals for them both and doing some measuring.

I toyed with the GK internal kit but don't really want to cut up my bass to do it, though I am sure the GK pickup will be a permanent part of my instrument.

Cheers
v-ped

• 2 weeks later...

Received my GK3B in the post today (sadly my VBass has not turned up yet)
How does the control unit which affixes to the bass fare when the bass is put into a case or gig bag? It looks pretty susceptible to damage. Ped, how do you get on with yours attached to the rear of your bass?

Edited by rayfw

I had a variax bass and while some of the patches were excellent ( the double bass and 6/8 string models were great fun) i too found them lacking a certain 'something' , i mainly used the pbass and stringray settings which sounded Ok in a band setting. At the time i also used a line 6 pod pro into a power amp, far too many options live! After a short while a swapped it for a reggie hamilton jazz and found it much more to my liking.

What would interest me is the ghost preamp, you can plug an expansion unit into it which would give you a mag/piezo blend with a Roland compatible 13 pin output, all this in a bass with outwardly normal hardware apart from a few extra switches and a jack socket. That could be fun!

[url="http://www.guitar-parts-and-spares-uk.co.uk/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d509.html"]Ghost preamp[/url]

• 11 months later...