Why become a member? ×

feeling really chuffed with myself.

Geek99

i keep a bass in my car in the hope that one day, I will get some child free practice time in my-ever-shorter lunch break. It rarely happens, but today it did and I looked up the bass tab for a song I listened to on the way in to work this morning. It looked wrong and it truly was once I tried it. It was woeful.

Bu tthen I figured it out, and I can count on the fingers on hand the number of times I have done this successfully, but today I did it. I'm toying wih the idea of uploading my correct-er version.

You should do it, might help out someone else. It is really Surprising how far off some tabs are; just shows how different people listen to a track as ultimately any tab is someone's opinion on how the track should sound.

What track was it BTW?

I just don't want to get flamed, but I honestly don't think it can be any worse than the one that was there. There simply weren't enough notes to be even close.

what was it ? [u][b]Pretty small beer[/b][/u] for the gigging uber-fretmeisters around here, but for me (kids, long hours at work, no practice time at home), a significant win; "silver and gold" off U2 rattle and Hum album, including all the staccato notes, the riff and the slides.

This (kind of) happened to me the other week. I was going to learn Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl". I was going to look for the tabs but decided I thought, after one listening, that it was in A. I picked up my bass and played along with it just like that. [b][i]Just like that[/i][/b], I tell you!

Truth be told, it is only six notes, but still...[i][b]just like that![/b][/i]

Well done. Post your version as i always look at various tab versions when trying to learn a song sometimes having to combine 2 or 3 versions to get what i feel is right for my band.
Its therefore important to get more versions on-line.

I would never have thought about leaving a bass in car for a wee lunchtime learning gig. Brilliant idea.

Dave

Just found the track on YouTube as not familiar with it - not the greatest U2 fan, if I'm honest, but their early stuff was much better than the band they turned in to IMO.

Well done for picking up that bass line. Like a lot of songs, a short riff that repeats throughout and a few 'twiddly bits'. As you say, the tab above isn't quite right as far as my ears go. Would still love to see what you came up with - I don't think you'll get flamed on here; I put up a video of me playing along to Pretty Vacant by The Sex Pistols when I'd only be playing for abut 3 months which was a comedy of errors and got nothing but constructive comments.

I find the hardest part of songs like this is not the riff itself, but playing it accurately and consistently throughout the whole 3-4 minutes of the song; having just this issue with Fun Lovin' Criminal by FLC.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1491689642' post='3274863']
... I was referring to the tab sites with regard to being flamed. [/quote]

I wouldn't pay people like that any attention, they just like to make a noise and use the anonymity of the comments to do so. If you could meet them face to face, they'd be the quietest people in the room. These people look up to the trolls and aspire to be like them when they grow up.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1491484299' post='3273410']
i keep a bass in my car in the hope that one day, I will get some child free practice time in my-ever-shorter lunch break. It rarely happens, but today it did and I looked up the bass tab for a song I listened to on the way in to work this morning. It looked wrong and it truly was once I tried it. It was woeful.

Bu tthen I figured it out, and I can count on the fingers on hand the number of times I have done this successfully, but today I did it. I'm toying wih the idea of uploading my correct-er version.
[/quote]

I tried doing that once. The song was "Killer" by Seal - not a complex bassline but there were a couple of tabs up on Ultimate-guitar which were woefully wrong (I was being idle, hence trying to use them). I worked out what it should be and posted version 3, which wasn't accepted because tabs already existed for it (but they were wrong) and because it was so simple that it didn't need a tab (but there were already two versions of it up).

I decided that whoever sat in judgement were morons with no musical or logical ability whatsoever and vowed never to bother again. And I haven't.

I'm guilty too. I make up my own bass-lines to lots of songs. If they fit and sound good to my ears then I'm happy. To be honest, if I find that an original bass-line feels a bit to busy or to fast for my old fingers I'll simplify it rather than make a cock-up.

In the old days we used to play a 45 on 78rpm and pick out the bass-line that way. I remember the first tune I worked out - Walk Don't Run by The Ventures. I later discovered my version wasn't quite their version but stuck with it anyway.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1491715941' post='3274897']
I'm guilty too. I make up my own bass-lines to lots of songs. If they fit and sound good to my ears then I'm happy. To be honest, if I find that an original bass-line feels a bit to busy or to fast for my old fingers I'll simplify it rather than make a cock-up.

In the old days we used to play a 45 on 78rpm and pick out the bass-line that way. I remember the first tune I worked out - Walk Don't Run by The Ventures. I later discovered my version wasn't quite their version but stuck with it anyway.
[/quote]

Thats what I like to do, its called creativity. If it fits the feel of the song and takes nothing away from the groove then its fine, as long as its not missing any signature bass parts that "make" the song.

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1491739660' post='3275084']
Do it! Do it! Do it! http://basschat.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/%3C#EMO_DIR%23%3E/smile.png
[/quote]
ok ok ok http://basschat.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/%3C#EMO_DIR%23%3E/blush.png

repeat this pattern hereafter
G-----|---------------------------------------------
D-----|------4-5------------------------------------
A--/6-|--6-6-----6-6-5------------------------------
E-----|-----------------7----------------------------

Edited by Geek99
Formatting, plus I’m trying to relearn it.