Why become a member? ×

Kiss/O2 over egging the pudding somewhat!

I think their best, basically all of the 70's, is long since behind them, apart from the few glimpses of return to form; but I'll will always be a Kiss fan.

I won't be going to the show, but I was e-mailed this from a ticketing agency today....

[color=#1A2250][font=Arial, sans-serif]"The band have released 44 albums"? Really? That's a stretch isn't it? Even taking into account the solo and live albums I can't get to 40![/font][/color]

[font="Arial, sans-serif"][color="#1a2250"]​I wouldn't mind, but they ignore a huge slice of their catalogue these days, just playing it safe with the obvious and short sets they normally do.[/color][/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif"][color="#1a2250"]​I know Simmons & Stanley are getting on a bit, but I just wish they would mix it up more.[/color][/font]

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1490987309' post='3269697']
How long do they play for?
[/quote]

I'm not sure it's that shabby time-wise because it's padded out with all sorts of guff that I don't really have much time for i.e. drum solo/bass solo/guitar solo's.

The last time I saw them they played 20 songs. Here is the CD....

I remember when I ordered it that they played pretty much exactly the same set night after night, so I didn't bother ordering any of the others.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1490995210' post='3269791']
Paul Stanley's totally unscripted between song banter takes up at least 30 minutes I reckon.
[/quote]

Yes, it's just variations on a theme though isn't it? Getting the left/right/front/back to shout as loud as they can - the Firehouse blurb - the Love Gun blurb etc etc

I shouldn't complain, I've had tons of enjoyment out of them over the years.

The original reason for the post was the line [b][color=#ff0000][font=Arial, sans-serif]"The band have released 44 albums"[/font][/color][/b]

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1490996593' post='3269808']

Yes, it's just variations on a theme though isn't it? Getting the left/right/front/back to shout as loud as they can - the Firehouse blurb - the Love Gun blurb etc etc

I shouldn't complain, I've had tons of enjoyment out of them over the years.

The original reason for the post was the line [b][color=#ff0000][font=Arial, sans-serif]"The band have released 44 albums"[/font][/color][/b]
[/quote]

My best guess is that they're counting special editions from various countries, I believe there may be a few Japanese editions of various albums for example?

I've never been a Kiss fan. Know very little about them TBH but I saw them at the Glasgow Apollo mid 80's. Bloody good live band I thought.
Twas a strange night though. Free tickets,no box office staff,no security men or bouncers and the support act Bon Jovi wore more make up than Kiss :lol:

I'd like to stress I was NOT there to see Bon Jovi .

Kiss discography wikipedia lists over 48 albums? Didn't check the list as I don't even know 8 of their songs :)

https://www.google.nl/search?q=kiss+wiki+discography&oq=kiss+wik&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.6494j0j4&client=ms-android-zte&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#mie=gt,Albums,kiss%20wiki%20discography,H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLUz9U3MDSsyKh4xBjALfDyxz1hKfdJa05eY3TkEs9OttLPLS3OTNZPLCrJLC6xSsxJKs0tFlLjYnPNK8ksqRSS4eKVQhihwSDFzYXg8gAATodlB2AAAAA

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1490999465' post='3269835']
Kiss discography wikipedia lists over 48 albums? Didn't check the list as I don't even know 8 of their songs :)

[url="https://www.google.nl/search?q=kiss+wiki+discography&oq=kiss+wik&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.6494j0j4&client=ms-android-zte&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#mie=gt,Albums,kiss%20wiki%20discography,H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLUz9U3MDSsyKh4xBjALfDyxz1hKfdJa05eY3TkEs9OttLPLS3OTNZPLCrJLC6xSsxJKs0tFlLjYnPNK8ksqRSS4eKVQhihwSDFzYXg8gAATodlB2AAAAA"]https://www.google.n...8gAATodlB2AAAAA[/url]
[/quote]

Nah, I'm not buying that. 20 official studio, 4 solo and a smattering of live albums.

You could probably make another two albums out of the rest of the original material that has appeared from albums like Killers etc

A long long time ago I ran into Ross Halfin, erstwhile rock photographer of this parish.

We shot the sh*t about photographic gear (Olympus), film choice (Ilford) and push processing (two stops), and I asked him about some if the bands he worked with. Kiss came up. He said something like, 'Never believe anything that comes out of their mouths. They're the biggest liars I've ever met, especially Simmons.'

They're really just the personification of Trumpy, aren't they? Bigging up everything, but they've been doing it for decades.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1490999465' post='3269835']
Kiss discography wikipedia lists over 48 albums?
[/quote]

To save you looking, Wikipedia lists as below and in all likelihood there's probably more that have been released into different markets and been overlooked.

20 studio albums isn't bad going in any respects considering they've only done two albums this century, but they really are the masters of repackaging and selling on. Eleven live albums? 13 compliations? 8 box sets?

Kiss discography
Studio albums 20
Live albums 8
Compilations 13
Box set albums 8
'78 solo albums 4
Instant Live 3

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1491035237' post='3269967']
A long long time ago I ran into Ross Halfin, erstwhile rock photographer of this parish.
I asked him about some if the bands he worked with. Kiss came up. He said something like, 'Never believe anything that comes out of their mouths. They're the biggest liars I've ever met, especially Simmons.'[/quote]

Just a different story but I did my University work experience with Kerrang magazine. All the journalists spoke admirably about Paul. When doing taped interviews, if the tape stopped, he would flip their cassette over, having paused and simply repeat his last couple of sentences in case they hadn't been captured. Very cool.

I was a fan in 70's / early 80's and think that was their best period of rock music.
Kiss are about putting on a show. That's what they've always aimed for. To entertain rather than just stand on stage with guitars they give you a lot more to watch.

No-one else had ever done that kind of thing or taken it to that level so i think they deserve the credit for taking rock concerts a step further.
They are getting on a bit but they also keep themselves fit and before and during a tour they employ personal trainers to ensure they keep fit enough to maintain their show.

I wish i had gone years ago when it was the original band because they are the ones i grew up liking and i've been put off because its not the same guys anymore on gtr and drums.
Don't get me wrong i think Paul and Gene were the main focus of the show but wouldn't feel the same for me seeing them now.

All credit to them for what they've achieved over the years.

Dave