Why become a member? ×

Ideal bass for blues fusion?

lownote

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1490730161' post='3267518']
I tried the NYXLs and ended up back with the EXL balanced tension sets that I have used for quite a while now, probably since they were introduced. Couldn't put my finger on exactly why but the NYXLs just didn't do it for me.
[/quote]

Now fitted and I see what you mean. Yes they do make my P bass sounds a good deal more flexible tonally and probably ideal for blues fusion. And yes they do have a nice tone. And yes they do feel nicer than new nickels. Are they worth the extra money? Reminds me of when a crazy clay pigoen shooter (me) paid £30 to a gunsmith to shorten his stock by 1/4 in 'because it might make all the difference'. Right.

Edited by lownote12

I use my v7 for an instrumental project which covers exactly the styles you describe
although when doing it live i use a cort gb74 [as my back aint what it use to be]
As much as i love my p bass which i use in reggae band and for various soul based projects
i dont like having new strings on a p and personally i need them when doing widdly or slappy things.

I played for ten years in a blues/fusion band using a Status series II. Graphite, active and headless. Not exactly traditional. But it worked fine. Just get the next bass based on what you want, rather than what you think will "fit" :gas:

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1490879140' post='3268721']
Now fitted and I see what you mean. Yes they do make my P bass sounds a good deal more flexible tonally and probably ideal for blues fusion. And yes they do have a nice tone. And yes they do feel nicer than new nickels. Are they worth the extra money? Reminds me of when a crazy clay pigoen shooter (me) paid £30 to a gunsmith to shorten his stock by 1/4 in 'because it might make all the difference'. Right.
[/quote]

Got any examples of the music you mean by blues fusion? When I hear the phrase I think of John Mayall and bass playing I think Pino Palladino (don't know why on that last one maybe confusing Mayer with Mayall).

Anyway, what I'm saying is a P with Tomastik Infelds would probably be the business for this caper - especially if slap is only a once is a while activity. Or try a set of half-wounds.

Edited by No. 8 Wire

Get a jazz bass and fit a John East J retro pre amp. Just slot it in and attach your pickups via the screw terminals (15 minute job - no soldering) and away you go. You'll never need another bass, because you'll be able to get any sound you want.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1490798534' post='3268135']
Precision

Simple, great in a mix, has a distinctive slap tone, and if you're not convinced it can 'do fusion' or 'diddly diddly' stuff, just check out Michael League :)
But as you quite rightly suggest, pretty much any bass will do, it's what is comfortable and sound good in your hands that matters.

Si
[/quote]

I was about to chime in with "Yamaha BB" myself, but Sibob makes an excellent point here.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1490705702' post='3267197']
Any bass is good for Blues. . . even Blues Fusion.

There's not a lot in Blues genres so it's what you make of it that counts. You can be Willie Dixon or Roscoe Beck, it's all in your groove and style.

Edit for clarification
[/quote]Nice to see Roscoe Beck mentioned. With that in mind, if you can find a Fender Roscoe Beck Signature bass, that'd see you right. That being said, really whatever feels best and sounds good to you will the best one.

A few years ago, I found myself helping to stage manage at a big(ish) blues festival. There were a lot of pro musicians playing there and a few pretty big bands on UK blues scene on the bill, many of whom were quite funk orientated.

Virtually all of the bass players in the main acts turned up with a jazz bass of some description (usually an American Fender in sunburst for some reason, although the headliner’s bassist used a Lakland)…

Edited by peteb